Does anyone use a "substitute" for Provigil?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lv2sing, Mar 30, 2007.

1. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

My doctor ordered it for me, but insurance won't cover it. I'm so tired of being sick & tired....I sleep up to 16hrs a day, & when I'm not sleeping, I just don't feel up to doing anything. I'm tired of taking 3 different pain meds, Flexaril, Klonopin, & other things, & I feel just as crappy as I have for the past 15 years. I'm at the point I'm ready to just quit everything & say to He-- w/ it all. I just don't give a crap anymore about ANYTHING, period. Has anyone tried something like Ritalin in place of Provigil? Thanks for listening.
  2. survivor13

survivor13 New Member

hi there
    im not sure if provigil is the generic form or modafinil is, try askin for modafinil as it is the same drug only one of them is the generic form which is usually cheaper to prescribe or buy. sorry cant be of more use but could be helpful to you as a cost effective way of getting the drug you need.
    (((((hugs)))))) take care xxxxxxxxxxx
  3. deliarose

deliarose New Member

some interesting stuff on the methylation/glutathione 3 thread about provigil.

It was one of the dozen or so meds I tried. Gave me energy...but the kind of high-strung kind. Made NO dent in the cognitive problems.

I hear yr frustration. I have had CFS for 10 yrs. I am recovering. If you're interested check out my posts for more info.

Lots of trial and error, but transfer factor and supplements to get the methylation system working turned everything around for me.

Cheers
    DEli
  4. 545

545 New Member

I currently take provigil, and surprisingly my insurance seems to be coming around, but my doc recently speculated about switching to adderall.

Adderall's more common of a subtitute for provigil; it supplies a similar amount of energy, and often helps with the cognitive problems; tho it is more likely to produce insomnia than provigil. It should be cheaper but you'll still be using it off-label. Ritalin might be an alternative, but it's recently become notorious for producing long-term side effects, so I'd avoid it if possible.

Good luck

[This Message was Edited on 03/31/2007]