Does anyone use a Tracfone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bailey-smom, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

My hubby & I have a cell phone. We also have 2 children in many activities & we work 35 (+) miles from home.

I have been debating (always said I would not do it) on getting an extra phone to have the girls take to activities when we are not there or when they are away in case of an emergency or we need to get a hold of each other.

To add the girls to our plan it would be $10 month but I am putting my minutes on the line – you know how kids are, sometimes they do what they are told and other times they don’t – and I do not want to get hit with a huge phone bill.

I have thought about getting a tracphone instead. Does anyone use one? What do you see as the pros & cons of this phone plan?

Thanks for your help!
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

We too have Verizon and really like it. I am just terrified that the girls will really run the bill up - they have just discovered the telephone:)

I will print the post - thanks again!
  3. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

Do you have any problems at all? It seems to work well?

4. Juloo

Juloo Member

I just didn't use a cellphone enough to want to stay on a plan. Just needed one for travel and short calls. I got one of the cheaper phones and put enough minutes for a year of service and got double minutes. I've had it for a couple of years now. Got one for my son, too -- he's 11 and sometimes has late music practices or whatever. If he loses it (and he loses a lot of stuff!), we didn't spend an arm and leg for it...

The main thing you need to remember is to make SURE to add minutes before your minutes/time expires.

I haven't noticed that sound quality is better or worse than other cellphones I've tried.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/30/2007]
  5. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

We bought two for our older girls. We bought the phone and they pay for the minutes. This way if they go nuts with the minutes they have to appreciate them more because they have to pay for them. It is nice for them to be able to call home when they are done with sports practices. My kids are pretty good about their minutes. We couldn't afford to put them on our phone plan. $10 more a month per phone.
  6. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

It sounds like there are many that use these for their children - sounds like the way to go!

Hope you have a great week!

7. findmind

findmind New Member

We have one; whomever leaves the house takes it with them, in case of emergency only.

I found I ran out of "days" before I used up the minutes, and had to buy more minutes to get more days, so I subscribed to the $5.95 per month to have the minutes kept current, only have to add them when I need them.

They work just fine, and have a lot of good features, but some you have to pay extra for...messages and such.

I'm happy with mine, and plan on getting the "double' minutes next time; I did find out they are not actual minutes, tho', but "units" and I'm not sure what that means...maybe more units per minute if used for long distance?

8. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

Pay Virgin mobile phones. I tried the Tracphone and did not like it because the minutes go so fast. On the Virgin Mobile you still have the pay as you go and then you also can get a plan. The one I use is 30 dollars a month. Free nights and weekends and 400 anytime minutes. You get the long distance and everything. They also have some really cool phones out there. My daughter just got a new one through them and it is a picture phone kind of looks like a sidekick. I have tried them all as far as pay as you go and Virgin mobile has had the best deal.
  9. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Someone had told me not to get Tracfone because the minutes go too quickly. I got tired of being worried sick whenever their school buses were running late or broken down, etc. Also, if there's an emergency, I want them to have their own personal phone to call me on. Third, when they have to get homework assignments from friends, I don't want them using either of my phones. So, I top them up every 3 months, with a $20 card. Only once has my youngest daughter (the chatterbox) used her 118 minutes up before the 3 months. I will probably start giving her $30 per 3 months and my oldest daughter (who's not a phone person) $10 every 3 months.