Does anyone use an exercise bike?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I saw one for sale and was thinking about getting one. I cant walk far because of my neuropathy in my feet and POTS so I thought it would help. Just wondering about the FM side of it?
    Carlacat
  2. kats1978

kats1978 New Member

I have one that I sometimes use, get the sometimes because it is a rare time that I can use it. FMS just tires me out all the time, even boefore I can use it.
  3. grandmas1228

grandmas1228 New Member

When I found out that excercise is so important for diabetics I bought an excercise bike. It was because my legs were too weak to much walking, etc. especially in the winter. Now I jump on it anytime I feel guilty about not doing enough excercising.I really recomend one, put it where you can watch tv or don,t have to go too far to get to it. I cant do more than 5 minutes at a time, but its better than nothing. Sharon
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi:

I bought a used bike (along with some other exercise equipment) which I have in my basement. I use it several times a week.

Ellen
  5. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

RECUMBENT BIKE. I used to use a reg exercycle, but my recumbent was a second hand gift from heaven. I got it from a lady selling her stuff in the paper for 50 bucks. At any rate, it is like sitting in a chair, and the position keeps strain off of your lower back and knees, and is also good for toning the lower tummy. i used to cycle vigorosly for 45 min at a time, but I am at the point where more than 20 minutes is pointless. I have very little body fat, and just want the cardio benefits. good luck and be well.
  6. paula45

paula45 New Member

Recumbent bike here as well. I have a bad back and knee probs. etc. My physical therapist says a recumbent bike is the only thing I should consider since walking is too hard. Sometimes I can't bike either because of leg spasms, but it's definitely what I recommend. I got mine through Wal-Mart online and it was about 99.00, I think. Good luck.
    Paula
  7. sp

sp New Member

I QUIT MY MEMBERSHIP TO THE GYM, AND BOUGHT A SPINNER BIKE TO USE AT HOME, AND I LOVE IT. THIS IS A SORT OF BIKE THAT CYCLISTS USE TO TRAIN ON. ANYWAY, IT ALLOWS YOU TO ADJUST THE TENSION AND HAS A VERY QUIET SPIN TO IT.

I MADE A GOAL TO MYSELF THAT I WOULD GRADUALLY CHALLENGE MYSELF MORE AND MORE UNTIL ONE DAY I COULD JOIN A WOMEN'S CYCLING GROUP TO GO ON GROUP RIDES. ABOUT 9 MOS. LATER, I HAVE JOINED THAT GROUP! A VERY REWARDING FEELING.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO PEDAL GENTLY UNTIL YOU GET YOUR HEART RATE UP. THEN INCREASE THE TENSION ON THE WHEEL JUST A BIT. PEDAL IN A CIRCULAR MOTION....DO NOT JUST PUSH DOWNWARD ON THE PEDAL, BUT PULL UP ON THE UPWARD.

IF I TRY TO PUSH TOO HARD, I'VE NOTICED MY LEGS GET REAL TIRED AND ACHEY FOR A FEW DAYS AFTERWARDS. I DONT KNOW IF ITS FROM FIBRO, OR JUST A NATURAL REACTION TO EXERCISE.

ONE GOOD THING ABOUT HAVING YOUR OWN FITNESS EQUIPMENT, IS THAT YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT GERMS FROM OTHER PEOPLE (LIKE AT A GYM), AND YOU CAN CREATE YOUR OWN ENVIRONMENT TO WORK OUT IN).

GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO ARE ON THEIR BIKES :)
  8. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I'll start by saying that I'm probably far from a typical case since my leg weakness is bad enough that I've been on crutches for 7 months. About 2 months ago, I realized that I'd never get off the crutches if I didn't do something so I've been using an exercise bike. As long as I don't overdo it, it seems to help. My legs feel noticeably stronger. I still use my crutches but I can go farther and walk faster than I could before. I can stand up from a chair without pushing myself up with the crutches and I can go up or down stairs much easier.

Jackie
  9. Anita B.

Anita B. New Member

I use an exercise bicycle which is in the gym in my building. All I'm able to do is one minute at the lowest resistance. I've been using the exercise bicycle for about 8 months, at least four times a week, but have not been able to increase the amount of time I spend on it beyond one minute. After about 40 seconds, my legs start to cramp and burn, and if I try to go beyond 80 seconds, I reach muscle failure. This is puzzling to me since I can walk, slowly, on flat ground, for about an hour, except on bad days. I find the exercise bicycle much more taxing on the legs than walking. But please don't let this report discourage you. By all means, try the exercise bicycle; you may be able to make progress on it. We are all different. If you can find one you can try for a while without buying one, that might be the most practical avenue for you.