Does Anyone Use Doxepin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TerriM, Mar 5, 2003.

1. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I had great success with Elavil, but then had a opposite reaction to it . . . does anyone use doxepin? I'm having severe hypersensitivity due to overactive immune system & need an immune system modulator . . . I thought maybe since I had such success early on with a tricyclic maybe another might work well . . . Terri
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I've never heard or read that tricyclics have any effect on a person's immune system. Can you point me to the research on this?
    As far as hyper sensitivity to outside stimuli, Klonopin, Xanax, Neurontin and other sedating drugs are far better at treating that than anti-depresssants.
    Or do you mean that your immune system is hyper sensitive and is over-reacting to things? If so, then I am not sure that anti-deps. will help that. Avoidance of problem substances and supplements to help your immunity would be worth looking at.
    I took Doxepin once, but had to go off because I slept 14 hrs. at a time on it, and then could not sleep the next night, back and forth like that. I had a hangover all day too,and at a very low dose. Also, I gained almost a pound per day on it!!! Not acceptable.
    However, I know someone who took the highest dose (300 mgs.) daily, and it kept her working for 10 yrs. before she finally had to go on disability, so we are all different.
    Some folks here use Doxepin elixir,and I think this liquid form is better since you can take teeny doses and see how you react.
    Klutzo
  3. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I take doxepin at night and it helps me to sleep. it improved my muscle fatigue somewhat. Does nothing for fatigue, may add to it. My doctor told me that it should help the pain at night (I was waking up to ten times per night because of pressure points), it did help that. It's not a wonder drug, but what is?

WendyC
  4. evileva

evileva New Member

I also take Doxepin at night to help with sleep. I have taken it for about 4 years now and it works really good for me. Have your doc try you out on the lowest dose first if you think you might be sensitive to it. Good luck.
    Eva
  5. Ellie5748

Ellie5748 New Member

I have been on doxepin for over a year. I take 225mgs at bedtime and sleep well enough. I don't wake up with that hangover feeling. Truth be known, I wouldn't know a hangover if it came up and bit me in the butt! I've never been a drinker. My doctor had me try sanota(sp), but it didn't help at all. Hey, whatever works!! Have a gentle day.

Regards,

Ellen