Does anyone use Herbal remedies and get relief?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bronagh, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Hi everyone,

I am so anti med, i was hopeing maybe some of you have come accross natural ways that help Fibro, if that is possible:)

Can i get anything in the Health Store that will help me sleep?

I was prescribed Elavil and Tramadol by the Rheumy, i only took Elavil 25mg for two nights, it made my restless leg problem worse, actually it made my whole body restless and uneasy that i couldnt sleep, i took one Tramadol a day for two days without taking Elavil and it made me very sick.

Thank you,

Bronagh :)
  2. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for your reply. I'd say the Rheumy will tell me that i haven't given the meds a chance also.

I have struggeled with this DD all my life, i developed more chronic symptoms as time went on,my GP has been no help to me, she prescribes the same meds every month for the last 9 years, i had to insist on her sending me to the Rheumy, that is a long story.

I'm due back to Rheumy in 5 weeks, he wants me to start Physio and his Fibro Program at hospital clinic, i'm waiting for an appointment, i should have asked him what the Fibro Program was all about, thats typical of me:)

Many thanks Wendy, take care,

Bronagh :)
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Its a research study for a new supplement called Fibro - Balance. The study is for FM and CFS.If you get axcepted you receive free bottles of Fibro -Balance for 6 wks.
    You do everything from your home.Have to follow weekly updates. I'm trying to find something that works for me other than oxcycotin and vicoden.
    Let you know if it helps.I'm starting this week.

Sue
  4. cbella

cbella New Member

I can tell you that Magnesium definitly stopped my restless leg syndrome. My husband doesn't have fm but it helped his legs too. You can start with a 250mg and increase it. You'll know your body has had the right? dosage if you get loose bm's. Then back down the dosage. Loose bm's means you've taken a little more than you need for a daily dose. It won't hurt you though...That's what Milk of Mag is... Of course unless you overdosed . but that's hard to do with this dd...I think our muscles are lacking it ...hence the pain. Something I wouldn't waste my money on is a health food item called Devil's Claw. I bought it because I saw an ad that said it was wonderful for pain, like fm. Nah...that was money wasted! Something that my MD told me to take for sleep is melatonin..and it works for me! Hope all this info helps.....I also take tramadol for the pain...and it definitely helps me..... :)Cbella
  5. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

got me taking Reishi, Cordycepps and Rhodiola for my chronic fatigue syndrome. What I noticed in the first few days was that I didn't have worries and flotsam spinning around in my head all the time, and could finally think more clealy. Also, the Reishi is anti-fingal, so I got some candida die-off. I think he said these herbs are supposed to help you heal in the long run instead of being just for symptoms. His book is 'Mind-Body Harmony: Resisting and Recovering from Autoimmune Diseases' by Terry Willard. It has lots of info on herbs and dosages to try.

For sleep I take a product called Formula 303. It's a homeopathic with valarian, passionflower and magnesium. Very mild, but recently I started combining it with several l-theanine (an amino acid)pills. I still don't sleep perfectly well, but way better than before anyway. Once I started taking the l-theanine, I felt I was sleeping deeper, and best of all I can get out of bed at 9:30am, instead of spending two hours every afternoon TRYING to wake up and move. In "From Ratigued to Fantastic" I read that a combination of sleep herbs generaly works best for people, and take as many kinds as you need as much as you need to get a good result. Room to experiment.

6. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Many many thanks to all of you for your help, i appreciate you all.

You all have given me a lot to think about.

(((((((BIG HUGS TO EVERYONE)))))))))

Bronagh:)
  7. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

I too would rather go the natural route vs. meds.

I see a Holistic MD who recommended Valerian Glycerite (liquid form that her pharmacy makes) & 5HTP (I take 300 mg before bed) for sleep enhancement. I also take mega doses of Magnesium Glycinate...mostly for constipation, but it is supposed to help Fibro muscles too. I haven't noticed any difference in my muscles.

I saw a sleep product at the Health Food store today that I seriously considered buying...It is from the Enzymatic Therapy line of supplements. It's called "Fatigued to Fantastic Revitalizing Sleep Formula". It contains Valerian, Passionflower, wild lettuce, hops, Jamaican dogwood & L-theanine. If you read Dr. Teitelbaum's "From Fatigued To Fantastic" book, he talks about using it as a natural sleep aid.He also has an informative website.

It was a little pricey, so I didn't pick it up today...Maybe another time!

The 5 HTP should NOT be combined with some prescription antidepressants/ other supplements, if they both raise your Serotonin level. The "Fatigued" book mentions a possible interaction between 5 HTP & drugs such as Prozac, St John's Wort, Ultram (Isn't that Tramadol?)& Deseryl.I'm not sure if Elavil falls into that category. I guess raising the Serotonin level too high is very rare, but I'd certainly check with your pharmacist or Dr. first. Dr. T. describes this too high S. level as a "panic attack from hell". That would be a bummer!

Good luck in finding something that works for you. I can relate to your weird reaction to the Elavil. I have had so many strange reactions to meds that I am REALLY reluctant to try anything new for fear of the side effects! I haven't had that happen with the natural supplements.

Blessings,
    Annie B.
  8. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Many thanks for your reply Annie,

I feel that if i start taking meds now i will be taking them for life.

I should have discussed this with the Rheumy, i'll be seeing him again in about 5 weeks time.

I think if you can get a good nights sleep you can cope better.

Take care and thank you again.

Bronagh:)
  9. jess

jess New Member

Hi, I feel the same way about taking meds. I don't take any for pain. I have cfs and fibro. I take Wobenzymes and they seem to cut down on pain a great deal. They are proteolytic enzymes and you have to take quite a few of them a day. I am up to 15 a day now. I may not have to take much more of them as they are helping me. The enzymes are taken between meals for inflamation. I also find massage therapy helpful. Of course since my hubby is a massage therapist it's easy to have one. It's also free. Still, it is very relaxing. For sleep I use a delta wave tape. It has helped somewhat but I still get up once or twice but at least I go back to sleep. I hope you find something that works and feel better. By the way Pro health has proteolytic enzymes. Jess
  10. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Thank you all so much for your help, i will make note of everything you have said.

Bronagh.
  11. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

and Elival (amitripyline) are not to be taken together as well, or with caution.
    If you are taking medications and want to try some herbal remedies, make sure you talk to your pharmasist about the possiblity of the meds and herbs interfering with eachother and getting bad effects.
    That you DO have to watch.
  12. orachel

orachel New Member

I have the crazy restless leg (and arms, they fly around just like my legs!). Was totally screwing up my sleep. Doc gave me Klonopin, and its totally helped. Another doc then gave me Elavil to take in place of Klonopin, and it made me feel weird, didn't really help me sleep much, and restless leg was back within 2 nights of not taking Klonopin. I switched back to Klonopin 2 nights ago, and its already improving.
  13. orachel

orachel New Member

I'm still really a novice at dealing with my FM, but I've always been a huge believer in supplements. My concern, however, is reactions with meds I'm on. Unfortunately, even doctors don't know (or mention) some of the interreactions you can have with supplements (beyond your basic multivitamin). A family member of mine years ago had a terrible thing happen with antidepressants and ginseng...really really bad. So I'm totally interested in herbal relief, or at least suplementation, but I really need to find a reliable way to check for reaction with supplements and the truckload of prescription meds I'm on. I was even stressed to add nicotine gum to the mix without checking with Doc and pharmacist....So doublecheck everything against what you're already taking! Better safe than sorry!
  14. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Pineapple works for me (for pain)
    Cherries work (dark cherry is the best for me)
    rebounding on a good tramp works for me.
    My pain level is at zero today. So I'm doing something right:)
    I still did not have energy but..I'm not in pain.
    I'm dealing with acute EBV.
    Get a good herb book and read up on your symptoms and herbs for them. I think teas are a good start. Green Tea is super benificial to drink. I use (the books) Eating by your Blood Type because Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo has proven that your blood type matters in the herbs, supplements, and foods you eat. All whole fresh foods many not be the total answer but it's a great start. You may have to fine tune it some. Say maybe your body needs heavy green vegetables and no starch vegetables-just an exsample.
    Maybe cod fish or broccoli is what your body needs to heal itself.
    And talk to your Doctor before starting any herbs.
    Hope this help.
    Dee50
  15. BethM

BethM New Member

Susun Weed is a very knowlegable and well informed herbalist.

She has several books out that are actually pleasant and fun to read, as well as very informative. She writes very well. You might want to check her website.

I'm currently taking, twice a day, an infusion of red clover blossoms for hormonal control and pre-menopausal symptoms, based on Susun's latest book on menopause. I think it's helping. It certainly isn't hurting, and it's pleasant enough to take. (an infusion is a strong 'tea', that steeps for several hours.)

Be careful of your sources for your herbs, whether in bulk or processed in capsules or whatever. I'd recommend staying with major brands so you have a greater probability of actually getting what the label says is in it. Certified organically grown and processed is a good idea, too.

The same for your supplements.

I agree with Stormyskye, read the post "about food". What you eat is very important to how you feel.

I believe we can heal much of what ails us with healthy diet and supplements and herbs.

Not to say I don't take prescriptions, I do. Less now than 6 months ago, though!

Remember, herbal and food therapy results happen slower than taking prescription drugs, because you are enabling your body to heal itself, and it is much gentler than pharmaceuticals.

Good luck, good info hunting. Let us know what you decide to do, ok?

Peace and Light,
    Beth.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/11/2005]
  16. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Over a year ago i was taking Flax seeds, vitamin b complex, blueberries, i have a list of everything i was takink then, i must get back to the healthy way of eating because i didnt feel as bad as i do now.

Maybe there is something about processed foods!!!!!!!

My IBS is back with a vengence and bladder spasms during the night is not helping with my sleep problem.

I will let you all know how i'm doing.

(((((HUGS TO ALL)))))

bRONAGH:)