Does anyone use Sonata?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Saoirse3, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

My doctor, in wanting me off Ambien, prescribed Sonata for me. I took two 5mg capsules and...NOTHING. Not one bit sleepy. I thought maybe it was just one of my bad nights, so I waited a few days and took it again. Absolutely nothing. I don't want to take more than the recommended dose, but how much of this stuff do you have to take to feel sleepy? I've used Ambien successfully for 5 years, have never had any side effects and no sleep hangovers. I don't know why my doctor seems to think this is so terrible!

Soft hugs,
  2. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

all with no results. And the herbal mixtures made for people with FMS as well, products that "guarantee sleep or your money back". And they just don't work because they don't turn off the "brain chatter" and I have it bad. I've tackled the sugars and am working on blood pressure and platelets. I guess one issue at a time! I am also learning how to meditate better and trying to de-stress and de-clutter. But yet another issue in my soap opera life has come up and I'm having some major stress over it. Will try to wean off when things get a little smoother.

Soft hugs,
  3. joanierav

joanierav Member

sonata did not work for me. it was like taking an m & m. it did absolutely nothing. also rozerem did nothing for me. i took the sonata yrs and yrs ago. i remember asking the doc if she could increase the dose, because it was so low, but she wouldnt. so maybe a higher dose would have worked.

in fact those were the only two that did nothing for me. most sleep meds work for me. when i stop a sleep med, its because it is not working WELL for me.

hugs, joanierav
  4. jole

jole Member

Sonata did nothing. But then I've tried all sleep aids, and none of them help me. They either do nothing at all, or wire me totally up. I know melatonin is a great sleep aid for some people, but it has me climbing the wall, and it does my grandson also. Even though it is 'natural', it does not work for me. The neurologist said sometimes when our 'wires are crossed' simply aren't going to respond normally, and she was right...

The only thing that helps me is xanax because it slows down my racing brain. Hope you can find something.
  5. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

If you have been on ambian for 5 years then your body is depends on it and a less strong of a med is not going to work. I took less and less of the ambian and then started adding GABA supplements. I also use melintonin with it.

When I stopped the ambian I felt so much better. It took going off to realize that I was living a very zombie like life. Very rarely do I take the ambian and if I am over stimulated then I will take it. The next day I will feel very depressed and my pain will be worse. Although having not getting any sleep makes me crazy with pain and anxiety. I am so glad I have found GABA! I really believe that ambian can lead to a slow liver and mental death.

My husband is still using ambian and I worry about his health all the time. But I believe it is a quality of life choice for him. He has to take care of his needs now.