Does anyone use voice activation on the computer?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by claudiaw, Feb 22, 2006.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

It is so hard for me to type, I'm thinking of giving it a try.
    I just wondered with the way I think, I always have to re-type stuff.
    I wonder how I would re-do all my mistakes.
    I really need support right now, I feel stressed and lonely and want to try to be a part of this community here.
    I need to find a way that will help me to post more often instead of reading other's posts and feeling like an outsider looking in.
    Thank you
    Claudia
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

3. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

I dont have it on my computer, but a class I took last quarter we learned how to use it. I personally didnt like it. You "train" the software to recognize only your voice. But since your tone can change at times or if you have a cold, sore throat etc. I found you end up making more mistakes and spend more time correcting them than if you typed it out. The only way I would recomend it to anyone would be someone who is an amputee with no arms or is so severly handicapped that they are unable to type at all.
  4. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

My husband is going to set it up for me.
    I just know that my train of thought sometimes wanders.
    I was worried it would end up making me more stressed, if I have to keep correcting myself.:Thanks for the reply.
    Claudia
  5. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

afraid of. I already get angry with myself concerning type O's as it is.
    I definately don't need more aggravation!:)
    I may try it and see what happens.
    I really want to be a part of this board rather than just a "lurker".
    Claudia
  6. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

TANKS!:)
    Claudia
  7. NifferA

NifferA New Member

I have Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition software. It's pretty cool but I don't use it much now, I just don't have a need.

I took a class while I was still working. When I took the class they said it was much improved over previous versions. You do have to train the software, but if you allow time for that, its not too frustrating. It's definitely better than the pain associated with typing for hours.

I found that it was good for email and letter composition but not very easy to use for spreadsheets and web applications. I don't know how much it costs because I was able to use the company's license for home use.
  8. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I think I will try it.
    If it is too much trouble I go back to typing.
    Claudia
    [This Message was Edited on 02/22/2006]
  9. KerryK

KerryK Member

I have used Dragon NaturallySpeaking, now at version 8, for many years, basically since it was a DOS product. I originally used it to avoid typing due to the pain in my arms from my FMS/MPS. The product really has come a long way in the last 13 years. Currently, I instruct persons with severe disabilities in its use. I can tell you honestly that it is a very good product and is especially good at writing emails, using a text editor, and surfing the internet. I believe I can strongly recommend it to anyone, provided they are willing to put in the effort to use it well, even if just to avoid the pain of typing.

Good luck!