Does anyone wake up from jerking motions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaded_lady, May 24, 2008.

1. jaded_lady

jaded_lady New Member

I have woke myself up with jerking my limbs. A sleep study in Feb didn't show RLS.

But when I jerk awake, both arms raise up together. My legs will move together too.

I didn't know if this was RLS or if it is something else.

2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

There is a website that describes all sorts of seizures, many are harmless and they don't know the cause. Below is info on Myoclonic which are common.

Myoclonic Seizures

What are they like?

Here's a typical story: "In the morning, I get these 'jumps.' My arms fly up for a second, and I often spill my coffee or drop what I'm holding. Now and then my mouth may shut for a split second. Sometimes I get a few jumps in a row. Once I've been up for a few hours, the jumps stop."

How long do they last?
    They're very brief jerks. Usually they don't last more than a second or two. There can be just one, but sometimes many will occur within a short time.

Tell me more
    Myoclonic (MY-o-KLON-ik) seizures are brief, shock-like jerks of a muscle or a group of muscles. "Myo" means muscle and "clonus" (KLOH-nus) means rapidly alternating contraction and relaxation—jerking or twitching—of a muscle.

Even people without epilepsy can experience myoclonus in hiccups or in a sudden jerk that may wake you up as you're just falling asleep. These things are normal.

In epilepsy, myoclonic seizures usually cause abnormal movements on both sides of the body at the same time. They occur in a variety of epilepsy syndromes that have different characteristics:

Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy: The seizures usually involve the neck, shoulders, and upper arms. In many patients the seizures most often occur soon after waking up.

They usually begin around puberty or sometimes in early adulthood in people with a normal range of intelligence. In most cases, these seizures can be well controlled with medication but it must be continued throughout life.

Lennox-Gastaut syndrome: This is an uncommon syndrome that usually includes other types of seizures as well. It begins in early childhood. The myoclonic seizures usually involve the neck, shoulders, upper arms, and often the face. They may be quite strong and are difficult to control.
    Progressive myoclonic epilepsy:

The rare syndromes in this category feature a combination of myoclonic seizures and tonic-clonic seizures. Treatment is usually not successful for very long, as the patient deteriorates over time.

Who gets them?
    The epileptic syndromes that most commonly include myoclonic seizures usually begin in childhood, but the seizures can occur at any age. Other characteristics depend on the specific syndrome.

What's the outlook?
    The outlook for patients with the various syndromes that include myoclonic seizures varies widely. See the specific syndromes for more information.

What else could it be?
    As mentioned, some episodes of myoclonus are normal. Some myoclonic seizures occur in reflex epilepsies, triggered by flashing lights or other things in the environment.

How is the diagnosis made?
    The seizures themselves are easy to identify. The syndromes usually can be diagnosed on the basis of the medical history and often EEG patterns.

Topic Editor: Orrin Devinsky, M.D.

[This Message was Edited on 05/24/2008]
  3. jaded_lady

jaded_lady New Member

That does sound like it. My neuro said the EEG was normal, but I will see him again in June and will tell him about this.

I searched here, then started searching the net, so thank you!!
  4. jaded_lady

jaded_lady New Member

I have also heard my voice calling out to my fiance when I would jerk awake.

I had to reshedule my appointment with the sleep study Dr, But I want to give him a try for helping me sleep.

If that doesn't work, I am sticking with my Neurologist. He has helped me the most.

My Neuro was surprised the sleep study Dr. said I had a 'good sleep study' but I woke up every 6 minutes.

I have done this before (the jerking awake) but this is becoming an every night thing. [This Message was Edited on 05/25/2008]
  5. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Could be nocturnal myoclonus. I'm surprised your sleep doctor didn't pick up on this. Mine showed NM. Sounds like you had a stupid sleep doctor though. Anyone who wakes up every 6 minutes isn't sleeping normally.

Mine went away when I eliminated gluten. Yours may be from that or some other toxin.

Have you looked at your meds ? Nuerontin made my seizures worse and caused me to halucinate. I heard my daughter's voice calling Mommy ...

HTH .. marcia

BTW. Many doctors are confusing RLS with NM. My old GP did even though I repeatedly explained the difference to her.
  6. AnnieLeu

AnnieLeu New Member strong I am awakened every time. I always thought it was RLS because I do get the creepy crawly feelings too....not at the same time tho.
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am glad you brought up the subject of the sharp cry. I almost always get that, though it seems that the movement is more in the upper abdomine and that jerks my whole body.

What if wierd is that I often cry out "Help" or "Stop" but do not have a bad dream though will often have a "flash" of a dream but it is not negative. This started right after I broke my arm.

I have these I would say about 3-4 times a week. My last bed partner noted this. Unfortunately, that was almost three years ago before I was officially was diagnosed. This DD caused the breakup of the relationship and I am certainly not in any condition to date, LOL!! But I digress.

THanks for the article. Glad to see, I am kind of normal in one aspect of my life!!!!!

8. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I found this in archives and kept it in my notes. Not sure who wrote it:

...statistically, most fibro patients get normal results on standard EEG's. Most of us have to have a Q-EEG for the abnormal results to show up. The "Q" stands for quantitative, and having had one myself, I can tell you it is very different from the standard EEG.

9. teacher

teacher New Member

I was told it was RLS, so I started taking 1200 mg calcium every day. I don't have much trouble with that anymore.
  10. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

Hi all--I have suffered terribly from myoclonus since a couple of months after the sudden onset of my ME. Strange that I'd never had the experience before the onset. My myoclonus was so bad that I was jerking severely all night long, so badly that my husband and I could not sleep at all. I, too, vocalize and always say "oh!" when I jerk, whether or not I am asleep. My legs can jerk as can my arms (often both arms at the same time). Sometimes, I have a sort of full body jerk.

I finally was able to sleep through the night when my doctor started me on Klonopin. It has been a godsend for me. It's also kept my husband in my bed!!

I also have another related symptom which is audiogenic seizures. These are brought on during waking hours when I hear a sudden, loud, or simply unexpected noise. The seizure can be a simple jerk, like myoclonus, or can be a full-fledged seizure where I literally fall to the floor seizing. I never lose consciousness but do lose control of my bladder and usually bite my tongue. I also vocalize during those as they are very painful. My body is so tense and my muscles hurt badly afterwards.

I have found Dr. Cheney's writings on neuroexcitability to be very helpful. I think that many of us with these DDs suffer from this and can benefit from Klonopin or other anti-seizure drug. Even though I am still very disabled and bedbound most of the time, Klonopin has helped me to live a much higher quality of life. My tremor is almost constant but it is nice to not be jerking all over the place freaking everybody out. I'm not much fun in a car or at a restauraunt!!

So, my take on this is that it might be benign (meaning that it's not going to kill us) but it can seriously impact a person's and a family's life.

11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

missizzy, I have not seen your posts for a long time. Have you been off the board or have I just not seen them or am I delusional? Perhaps none of the above?

Klonepin has been a lifesaver for me with the RLS and just calming down my nervous system. However, even with that I still get the jerks and crying out.

marti_zavala, how is a Q wave test different and what does the test tell you? You have me intrigued.

BTW, I love your name if I can assume that your moniker is you first name of nickname followed by your last.

I can't remember if I said this in my last thread on this post, but it really helps when people break up their paragraphs.

12. Emily8859

Emily8859 New Member

Mine is so bed sometimes I think I am going to jerk myself out of bed. Thought it was RLS, was given meds for RLS, but those meds made the jerking three times as bad......don't take it anymore, but still have the jerking occasionally.
  13. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I've had the jerking thing every since I can remember - at least 40 years. Mostly when I'm asleep but sometimes just as I'm going to sleep which, of course, startles me out of sleeping!

I've also had RLS for as long as I can remember so while I know the two are different, I have no clue how to fix either.
  14. Empower

Empower New Member

I am so glad to see this post

I have had jerks at night where I feel like my upper torso is lifting off the bed!!

SO WEIRD!!!!

I usually just have the leg jerks, but it has started to be my whole body, but only at night
  15. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I jerk at night but more frequently yell out, usually 'stop' or 'oww'.

I have been having what the doctor calls seizures. These episodes can be from 5 minutes to 30 minutes. My brain always feels like it is shaking in my head. My head does not move, and then weird things happen. Examples:

1. I saw bright spot lights with a more solid bright light in the middle. This time I was able to take my blood sugar (normal) and blood pressure (really low).

2. My arms and legs felt like they were encased in water balloons and I was walking like I really had them on.

Brain fog has kept me from remembering the others, which happen almost weekly.

Dr. increased my Lyrica because it is also a med for seizures. I have not had one since increasing the meds.

Incidentally, I have not jerked since then either.

Love, Lillie

16. karengemma

karengemma New Member

hi I've had Fm for years but since I was put on amitriptyline I've suffered from sudden jerks. They're worse when I'm trying to go to sleep, but I also get them in the day. I can be sat there and the next thing my whole body has jumped. Its quite frightening at first. I've heard form other people with fm that suffer the same.
  17. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

or myoclonal jerks, usually just after falling asleep... thought everyone did, think most do.

When on SSRIs in an attempt to boost energy, I developed terrible myoclonus and I would suggest that anyone bothered by actual myoclonal seizures check their med.s for this side effect. Myoclonus is a frequent side effect of SSRIs -- don't know what else.