Does anyone want to try antiviral enzymes with me?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Forebearance, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Greetings, all!

I have CFIDS.

I've been taking a product called "Candidase" for about a month now. It is for treating yeast overgrowth.

It contains a combination of enzymes that digest cellulose. The cell walls of yeast are made of cellulose, so the yeast cannot become resistant to it.

I have been impressed with this product. It has agreed with me pretty well, and has had a noticeable effect.

I used to have quite a bit of nerve pain, and now that pain is gone.

----

Now, this company also makes a product called "Virastop". Well, with a name like that, I pretty much HAVE to try it. I can't resist.

It contains enzymes that digest protein. Viruses are made of protein. Somehow it doesn't digest your body's own cells, only the debris. You can read about it on the company's website.

I bought some and tried one pill one evening. It had a noticeable effect on me.

For a couple hours, it took away the constant ache that feels like it comes from every cell in my body that is typical of CFIDS.

Well, after aching constantly for 16 years, it felt so good to not ache. I just lay there in awe. (I was in bed at the time.)

Now, I am eager to try more of this supplement. It would be nice to have some company. Is anyone else at a place where they would be interested in trying it with me?

I am beginning with one pill, every other day.

This is less than the recommended dosage, but I am extremely cautious about trying new things. I always start out gradually, because I often have bad reactions or strong Herxheimer reactions to new things.

I've taken three pills now. So far, they have been agreeing with me. The only side effect to report is slight insomnia, which is probably a mild form of Herx.

They still make me feel good, but not as shockingly good as the first one did.

Lisa Petrison, are you still going to try the Virastop? Or have you been too burned by having a bad reaction to the evening primrose oil I suggested? I would love it if you decide to try the Virastop also.

What do you think, Rubia? Want to try it?

Love,
    Forebearance

[This Message was Edited on 11/02/2006]
  2. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

Forbearance,

This sounds like an interesting product. My protocol is pretty full with homeopathic remedies right now, so I am not going to be adding in anything new, but I am curious to see if you get a good response from the virastop. Please keep us posted with your experience from using it.

While taking the Candidase, did you go on a restrictive diet to get the yeast under control, or did you just use Candidase? Did you notice anything other then a reduction of nerve pain? Do you have less brain fog and more energy?

Good luck with the Virastop.

Jennifer
  3. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thanks for the good wishes! I will let you know how it goes.

I did not go on a restricted diet to fight yeast. I just took the Candidase.

I guess I am one of those people who hate going on diets of any kind. I am doing well to not eat transfats, which I stopped eating a couple years ago.

Another symptom I noticed is less bloating of my abdomen. I haven't noticed an increase in energy, and I don't have much brain fog these days.

But keep in mind that I am taking much less Candidase than the recommended dosage. I take one pill every other day right now.

Forebearance

P.S. You just reminded me of something! I did notice an increase in stamina the day after I took the first Virastop pill.
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I just got a note saying that some Virasstop had been sent to me in the mail (I placed the order last week) and that I would be receiving it shortly.

I'll be happy to try it "with you" and report the results as soon as it arrives.

I also working on some other things right now: 1) bowel cleansing, 2) 3000 mg lysine (to make my body more unfriendly for a variety of viruses), 3) still combatting a vaginal infection. I think my systemic candida problem is pretty much under control, for now.

Don't feel bad about the Evening Primrose Oil. That was really weird. No way to have predicted that would have happened.

Anyway, I'm in a pretty good place now and am trying to focus as much as I can on my health, and so the Virastop seems like a good idea. I'm going to try an antiviral drug (starting with Famvir) soon too, but this sounds like a good precursor anyway.

Thanks!
  5. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Oh goody! You made my day!

I will be very interested to hear how much you decide to take and if it has any effect on you.

I think it's great when more than one person tries something, because it gives a more accurate picture for people who may be thinking about trying it.

By the way, we have something in common. I got CFS at the same time I was accepted into grad. achool, and I decided to go anyway. That was back when I had a ton of willpower. lol

Forebearance
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I guess there was some advantage to not believing I was "really" sick for those couple of years. I felt horrible 99% of the time (now "horrible" is an extremely small percentage) but the belief that I would be over it at sometime in the near future did keep me going. And it probably was a good thing, since the Ph.D. has been helpful in allowing me to do stuff at my own pace now. Life is funny, isn't it?

BTW, I think I've pretty much gotten the systemic yeast under control now. 10 billion microorganisms of probiotics (about 10 capsules) per day, a bunch of oregano oil, some Nystatin, and a couple of colonics to wash the dead ones away seem to have done it. So onto the viruses will be a good thing.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/01/2006]
  7. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I am curious to know what are the ingredients? Is this something to breakdown the fibrin coating like Bromelain or is something that acts on the viral replication?

Thanks for your input.

CherylSue

p.s. Found it online. Essentially, it reacts on the fibrin coating much like heparin, bromelain, etc.[This Message was Edited on 11/02/2006]
  8. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I'm glad that things worked out well for you, career-wise, Lisa. I think the lifestyle of a college teacher is a very nice one. There's so much independence.

I don't regret going to grad school, either. Even though my grades weren't as good as they normally would have been, and I used up most of my lifetime supply of willpower, it was worth it. It was one of my life's dreams.

Boy, I'm really happy to hear that you have vanquished your yeast!!!
  9. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, CherylSue!

I'm glad you answered your own question! :)

Yeah, it's just enzymes. It seems pretty innocuous.

I've been taking bromelain for about seven years, and digestive enzymes for about two years. The only effect those have had on me is that the bromelain makes my grass allergy better. Otherwise, I just take them on faith that they are good for me.

Okay, I got out my magnifying glass so I can write down the ingredients of Virastop, in case anyone else is interested.

Active ingredients:

Protease Thera-blend (proprietary formula, I guess)
    Seaprose blend
    Catalase
    Serratiopeptidase
    Nattokinase NSK-SD blend
    Mineral blend

I can't say yet whether this is a helpful product or not. All I can say is that it seems promising, for me personally.

I don't think I've tried any heparin. I'd better go research it.

Forebearance
    [This Message was Edited on 11/02/2006]
  10. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

after someone edited it. A moderator, perhaps?

I wonder if I broke a rule. Are we not allowed to put names of products in the title of threads?

If there are other good antiviral enzymes sold here at Proheath, and you've used them, please feel free to tell me about them. I am completely open-minded.

I'll use whatever works.

Forebearance

P.S. I went back and edited my earlier posts to make them less enthusiastic. I didn't mean to sound like an ad.[This Message was Edited on 11/02/2006]
  11. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I'd be willing to try it with you. Do you buy yours on-line?

I'm just not sure if I would be able to tell for sure if this helps. I'm currently taking Monolaurin and 3 different homeopathics for specific viruses. I've been taking this combination for 6 months now and these viruses are still not dormant (yet).

My hope would be that the Virastop helped to speed my process along a little.

I'll google it in the meantime.

Does it still interfere with your sleep? I'm a chronic insomniac so I'm not sure I could handle that. But everyone is so different. I'm still willing to add it in....I could use some RELIEF!!!

Thanks.......scapper
  12. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Scapper!

Oh, cool!! I am so thrilled to know a third person who is trying it at the same time. It will help a lot to be able to compare notes.

Especially since I tend to get strong reactions to things. As you said, maybe it won't cause any reaction in other people! Who knows?

I got it at my local health food store. It was in the cold and flu section.

Well, now I wonder about why I stayed awake the first night I took it. Maybe I couldn't sleep because I was so excited. lol

I took pill #4 today, and I've been taking them in the afternoon instead of right before bed. Now they seem to be helping me sleep better, if anything.

I would love to hear what you experience!

Hey, I take caprylic acid. That's also a component of coconut oil.

Forebearance
    [This Message was Edited on 11/03/2006]
  13. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I looked it up and was surprised how expensive it was.

Do you mind telling me how much you paid?

I saw it for around $34 for 120 caps.

Just curious.

thanks......scapper
  14. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

Forebearance,

I appreciate you letting me know that you were able to get your yeast infection under control without a restrictive diet using Candidase. I have been wrestling with the idea that I MUST go on a restrictive diet if I expect to get rid of my yeast infection.

Perhaps I will give Candidase a try before I tie myself up in knots over the yeast diet.

I am so glad to hear that you had an increase in energy when you started the virastop.

Best of luck with the new product and keep us all posted.

Jennifer
  15. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Well, there is the anti-yeast diet and the Anti-Yeast Diet.

After various tries regarding yeast (it comes back for me after a while....every few years or so) I think that "The Diet" is not a great idea. It's too hard and not necessary. It may even be counterproductive, if you're trying to avoid die-off. If yeast get _nothing_ to eat, they're going to die pretty fast and you're going to get a lot of die-off.....just as much as if you went too fast with the yeast killers (Nystatin, herbs, whatever). Especially if you have as many food allergies as I do, adding on all those restrictions makes it very hard to eat healthfully.

On the other hand, completely eliminating sugar and cutting back on both white flour and fruit juices seems a good idea. If you keep eating sugar, the yeast will come back fast whatever you do. Breaking the sugar habit in itself is very difficult, but worth it since it's crucial in the long run. Cutting out all those other things in addition to sugar makes it basically non-doable.

I would advise going cold turkey on the sugar, though. It's hard at first, but after a few weeks you won't even miss it. That's been my experience, anyway.
  16. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Forebearance--

I took three of the Virastop today. (I tend to start out in fairly high doses of things to see if they do anything, since otherwise I feel like I have the potential of wasting money for months or years.) I feel more tired than I would expect today, and so maybe I'm getting a herx from it.

On the other hand, I've not been in great shape recently anyway, and so it could have nothing to do with the Virastop.. I've been trying to do a major colon cleanse, and I think that might be stressful (both in the work my body's doing and in the toxins being released). I've been under personal stress too.

I've been taking 3000 mg of lysine a day for about a week now (to make my body more unfriendly to viruses in the herpes family.....there are a lot of themm, including Epstein-barr and CMV). That didn't seem to make me feel worse, at least not the first day or two. Maybe it's taking its toll and viruses are slowly dying off now, though.

I also took some Diflucan yesterday and today to try to help get rid of a vaginal yeast infection. (I still think the systemic yeast is pretty much under control, but that doesn't fix the vaginal infections right away.) I've used Diflucan for months and months in the past and it's never made me feel any worse, though.

My diet has not been great as of late too. I doubt that's a big cause, but it could be contributing.

All of this being said, I think I'm feeling worse today than usual, and so maybe I'm getting a herx from the Virastop (especially combined with the lysine, perhaps). Do you think that this product theoretically should give a herx?

(BTW, I was exhausted for least two months on that mushroom stuff, formerly MGN-3, that's very popular in Japan and that supposedly lifts NK Cell activity. Finally I gave up. I don't know if that was a herx or just the extra effort of the NK cells working harder. )

I've decided I'm going to start the Famvir soon. I think it's time. Maybe I'll take a break from the colon cleanse while I do it, if that doesn't stop wearing me out so much.

At least until I get the Famvir (my doctor is slow with prescriptions) I will stay on the Virastop and let you know my status, though. Have you started it yet?
  17. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I am very interested to see how this works out for you all. Virastop uses protease to beat viruses. I have read that protease is good for viruses but I have also read that with AIDS and CFS you want to BLOCK the protease as protease causes the viruses to replicate. They recommend protease inhibitors.

So I am curious to see if this works or not. Let me know how it goes. Would like to see how this illness operates.

Thanks,
    Pam
  18. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Dear Scapper,

Yeah, you're right. It's not cheap. I paid $26.95 for 60 pills. I got it from a small, independent health food store, so they probably have the highest prices.

If it's too pricey for you, I understand.

Hey, Jennifer,

Even though I didn't go on a special diet to discourage yeast, I am finding that now my sugar cravings are getting less and less. It's pretty cool!

I wouldn't say my yeast is under control, but it's in the process of getting better. I might have to take the pills indefinitely, if I don't eat differently, but I feel okay about that.

Hey, Lisa!

I love the title of your post! lol

It's interesting to hear how you usually start things whole hog. I'm sorry to hear that you felt more tired. I'm not sure if it is supposed to cause a Herx or not. But theoretically, I can see how it could.

Wow, you have a lot of experiments going on at once! Yeah, maybe the lysine and the Virastop are working together.

I can imagine how a colon cleanse might wear you out. It sounds draining.

I hope that somehow you can get in a good, stable place before starting the Famvir. I'll be cheering for you!

I took my fourth Virastop pill yesterday. Since I start so gradually, it will take me a long time to have anything significant to report.

It's a good thing for me to be able to even tolerate a new thing.

Oh, but I can report one thing. One effect was that the V. kicked a cold out my nose efficiently. I didn't even know I had picked up a cold. Anyway, you know how colds always start in the throat and then leave through the nose in the form of a runny nose and sneezing?

The V. kicked the cold's butt! The cold didn't even have a chance to get started. :)

Okay, Pam, I'll do my best to keep posting my experiences.

I didn't know that info about protease. What do you think about the researchers who think CFS could be caused by a parainfluenza virus? That makes it sound like a kind of flu.

Now you've got me worried, but I'll keep trying this anyway, just because of the good first reaction I had.

It seems like so much of treating CFS involves relying on our gut instincts and best judgment.

Best wishes to everybody,
    Forebearance
  19. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

This thread seems relevant. I thought I'd post the link here.

http://www.immunesupport.com/chat/forums/message.cfm?id=820847&B=FM#823050
  20. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Do you know if the build up of yeast in your body causes sugar cravings? I tried to read all of the posts, hope I didn't miss it if someone already addressed this question. I have a large amount of yeast overgrowth in my body and my Nurse practitioner suggested I take probiotic pearls. Does this do the same thing as the Candidase, do you know? Once the yeast overgrowth gets under control, will the sugar cravings subside? You seem well-informed on the subject, so I thought I'd ask. I will also ask my dr. about virastop. Thanks, Kim :)