Does anyone with CFS get terrible anxiety?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tgirl, Nov 16, 2002.

1. tgirl

tgirl New Member

Hi everyone,

I've had CFS for almost 14 years, without improvement. Last week I had a few days of the most intense anxiety, not really related to anything specific that could cause it. It was as if my body was anxious, and my mind flailing around looking for a reason to feel that way. I'm in a relapse and there are great stresses in my life (husband divorcing me) but have not experience this feeling before. Then as sudden as it appeared, it was gone.

Now, about a week later, I can feel the anxietty coming back. Since the anxiety I've had pain in my heart, and extra tiredness. I can't begin to describe how horrible the anxiety feeling was, it felt like a huge bubble inside my body wanting to burst. Does anyone else get this, and is there something you do to stop or ease it?

Thanks,

Tgirl

2. tgirl

tgirl New Member

Hi everyone,

I've had CFS for almost 14 years, without improvement. Last week I had a few days of the most intense anxiety, not really related to anything specific that could cause it. It was as if my body was anxious, and my mind flailing around looking for a reason to feel that way. I'm in a relapse and there are great stresses in my life (husband divorcing me) but have not experience this feeling before. Then as sudden as it appeared, it was gone.

Now, about a week later, I can feel the anxietty coming back. Since the anxiety I've had pain in my heart, and extra tiredness. I can't begin to describe how horrible the anxiety feeling was, it felt like a huge bubble inside my body wanting to burst. Does anyone else get this, and is there something you do to stop or ease it?

Thanks,

Tgirl

3. susabar

susabar New Member

I have suffered from anxiety most of my life, I do take prozac for it.... I think I have FM... and my anxiety level is out of the window !!! Heart palpitations, sweaty palms,
    easily startled.. unable to concentrate... etc... for temp relief I would ask Dr. for a tranquilizer mild... like adavan, xanax etc... only start with half a tab if your scared... I had to take valium for muscle spasms and that works too. Hang in there Divorce Stinks.... it is going to be rough for awhile...

GOOD LUCK Sue
  4. beans

beans New Member

Yes I can relate.
    I deal with it best by having as little contact as possible with the people who bring it on.
    That not always easy.
    I also deal with it when I have it by trying to figure out what my choices are.
    If I back my self into a blocked hole and think I have no choices I get anxiety.
    I try to make the choices that I am deal with.
    If I allow my self to worry over much about some thing that is going to happen any way some thing I have to do.
    Not taking it one day at a time or even one minute at a time. I can become very sick.
    Beans
  5. dd

dd New Member

I have suffered with panic attacks since I was 22. I am now 38. They do come out of nowhere for no apparent reason. I do have the feeling of anxiety that you speak of sometimes without a full blown panic attack. I feel as if there is a lot of tension built up for no reason that I cannot get rid of. I cannot concentrate, my mind races and I feel as if I am going to blow up at anyone around me. I take Xanax for the anxiety and it does seem to help.

Going thru a divorce is very stresful and can cause anxiety even if you aren't thinking about the divorce at the time. I would speak to your doctor and get something for your nerves.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Debbie
  6. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

I have been diagnosed with "Fibro" the past yr. and a half
    But, have Always had Anxiety Problems. I'm now on Prozac and I just try and steer away from people and things that bring it on.
    I don't no what meds you are on but, you probably need to see your Doctor and tell him what's going on and have him re-vise your meds.

Love,
    HOB
  7. buzby

buzby New Member

Hi Tgirl,
    I have had CFS since 1995 and my anxiety levels have varied throughout, but overall have been worse since getting this DD. I have learned to copy by working to recognising the stressors in my life and trying to reduce and manage them in a better way.
    I also take anti-depressants which also help with Anxiety Disorder. I take a mixture of Effexor in the morning and Trazadone at night. Prozac did not agree with me, I felt too detached from my emotions. I am not keen on meds, but I found out that trying to defeat severe anxiety on your own just doesn't seem to work.
    The other route to go is therapy. I am seeing someone right now who is monitoring my meds and counselling me. It is a good combo, the meds help control the panic attacks and general anxieties and the therapy helps me learn new behaviours and coping strategies.
    Seek some assistance with this, don't let it get to much for you. What happened with me is that I let it go on for too long before getting help and I was fearing having a panic before it even started just making the whole mess worse.
    Good luck,
    Buzby
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Yes, I do get an anxiety attack once in a while, if I am stressed or anxious about something that is enough to bring one on.

You seem to have a lot of stress going on right now in your life.

I take a low dose (0.25 milligrams) of Xanax for it, it will stop in about 20 minutes.

You need to see your doctor, anxiety only makes your symptoms worst.

Hope you get some help soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  9. Roxi

Roxi New Member

I've had the same sensations. "Normal" with this DD. You do need to have an anxiety med. you can take only when you need it. In my town there are a few churches that have divorce recovery groups. Free, open to the public, for any religion or no religion. Great place to make some friends who understand. Best wishes!
  10. tgirl

tgirl New Member

It's set my mind at ease to know I'm not abnormal, so to speak. If the anxiety becomes a permanent thing I'll look into taking medication, until then I'll just have to suffer through it.

Tgirl
  11. jami117

jami117 New Member

When I feel that awful anxiety coming on there are several things I try to shoo it away.

First I do the peroxide - Epsom salt soak, mood lighting, and relaxing music or guided imagery tape.

Next is a breathing exercise that I have adapted from Dr. Cheny and Yoga.

Take four very deep breaths in through the nose.
    Hold your breath for a slow count of seven.
    Completely exhale from the mouth for a count of eight.

Repeat several times. I find this exercise helps me control anxiety and helps me manage my pain - double bang for the buck! I confess to doing it only when I feel the need. However, I did do a series twice daily for several weeks and I did feel benefits - I think the increased oxygen was beneficial in relaxing the muscles, easing the pain and the anxiety.

Another trick I use to control my anxiety is listening to books on tape. I like mysteries so I put one on whenever negative thoughts start trying to sneak into my brain. I get several at a time from the public library. I have a portable Sony that shuts itself off at the end of the tape, so I fall asleep with my brain focused on the story to which I'm listening. That's a big help cause I'm one of those people whose brain gets bombarded with problems and negative thoughts as soon as I close my eyes. As long as some compelling mystery is quietly playing next to my bed, those other pesky thoughts can't find their way in.

Hope some of this will be useful to you! I'm sending you gently caring thoughts. jami

12. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

I have had panic disorder since 1991. It seems like an inordinate amount of us have that DD! I got the fibro in 95, so the panic came first. I'm starting to believe what my rheumy said. No one that has panic disorder really has fibro. It's all from the panic. I don't agree with it and he diagnosed me with FM, but it sure is fishy that when I get a flare of Fibro, I have have a ton of anxiety too.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Go to the library here and read Dr. Paul Cheney's article on Klonopin. It does a really good job of explaining how the neurons in our brains are overfiring causing a slight state of seizure. This produces not only anxiety, but also inability to sleep, RLS, and sensory overload.

My anxiety was so bad, I was having panic attacks. The Klonopin has gotten rid of my anxiety, allowed me to get 8 hours of restful sleep, and greatly reduced my sensory overload.

SSRI antidepressants and stimulants like Ritalin exacerbate this problem. Dr. Cheney also has a sister article on this.

Love, Mikie
  14. phenom

phenom New Member

i have PTSD from childhood abuse and i have grown up very anxious at all times - i'm agoraphobic too. its a bit of a "chicken or the egg" case with me - coz i've had symptoms of FM since i was about 8 or 9 and axiety my whole life - does one cause the other? is it a vicious cycle? who knows?

phenom
  15. robsgal15

robsgal15 New Member

I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this divorce. My dh and I were separated for 5 months until recently, but I wanted to assure you that what you are feeling is normal, at least normal for anxiety.

I started having panic attacks 6 years ago and thought I was losing my mind. It was triggered by problems with my dh and his out of control daughter.

I'll share this w/u b/c I know how afraid you are. I woke up in the early morning, sure I was having a heart attack. I had this hot tingling feeling in my fingers which started to run up my arms. I was nauseated, sweating and at the same time cold, and trembling like crazy. It was like all of my body was electrified and I could not stop it. All my nerves felt like they were exposed.

There is a difference, I just learned, in having anxiety and an actual panic attack. What I just described was a full blown panic attack.

There are anti-anxiety meds and since you are going through a really rough time, you might consider getting some counseling. If you also have fibro as well as CFS, I'm sure you are feeling quite overwhelmed right now. Divorce is a very tramatic experience and this is your body's way of reacting to it.

I have been on anti-anx/dep meds for 6 years now and I seem to be able to function somewhat better. Now, this could be a temporary condition for you, until things calm down. After everything is said and done, you may never experience these feeling again. It's possible.

I hope I have helped you see that this is a normal reaction to stress for you and you have all of the symptoms of anxiety. I know too that you feel like you are going to die...you are not going to die. Your mind runs ramped. That also is normal for anxiety.

I wish I had a magic wand to make this feeling go away, and I know how you feel...honest.

I'm new to this board, and I don't know if there is an anxiety message board on this site, but I found one at Ivillage. I'm not trying to take away from this wonderful board. I've begun to really like this site, but just trying to help you find more info.

Pls talk to your doctor. They have seen many, many cases of this. You are hardly alone.

Sending you a big comforting hugs, robsgal
  16. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Don't know which started first the FM/CFS or anxiety. I get anxiety attacks most of which happen when I have to go out alone--see when I am feeling bad healthwise I fear the fact of being alone somewhere far from home--so you can say this DD has turned my anxiety into some agoraphobia too. I take Xanax and have been doing so for many years. I'm dependent but not addicted --there is a difference. I take the lowest dose possible, which keeps the edge off. Sorry about your divorce--it's a big stressor. Hope you have happier days soon.
    Tania
  17. robsgal15

robsgal15 New Member

Hi there. I was dx'd with panic disorder about six years ago and at one time I was on Xanax, and b/c of something you said, I want to share my story with you.

Xanax is a fast acting med, true. For me it was actually causing panic attacks. B/c it is a fast fix, and calms you down right now, but doesn't last, you are left with the feeling coming right back.

I had to switch to Klonopin, which stays with you until your next dose and doesn't give you that roller coaster effect.

For some people, a little help is all they need, but for me it was like a constant roller coaster ride.

I hope this helps some one who is having problems with Xanax.

Hugs, robsgal
  18. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I am now 48yrs old and have been suffering with anxiety/depression/panic disorder since my late teens..I got worse around 1986 & have been seeing a pyschiatrist since then on a monthly basis..I was not diagnosed with FM until 1992 or 1994, can't remember any more..I guess it's because it wasn't as bad back then..But stress can really do a number to my FM..
    The fact that you are going through a divorce is enough to make you feel more anxious..In my opinion, I would contact a dr., and try to get a therapist/psychiatrist..It can't hurt..You might just need someone to talk to..
    Personally I have been on Xanax for 10yrs and it helps me..I also have family/friends that take it as an "on needed basis" and they are doing fine..
    That's just my 2cents....Hope you feel better soon....
    Take Care..........Donna