Does anyone work at home? How can fibroites work at home?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tamara!, Nov 20, 2002.

1. tamara!

tamara! New Member

I would love to have a home business then I could work when I felt like it. I just don't know what to do.

Do any of you work at home and if so what do you do?

My father was very ill with diabetes and he had his own business(which would be out dated now,due to computers) but it was great for him because he work when he could. He did a lot of local traveling, so he couldn't stay in to do most of his work. The way it is now you can do almost everything from your home.

Any suggestions? I work in retail with not much experience in anything else so I don't know what to do.Thanx!

For the fight,
    TAMARA!
  2. tamara!

tamara! New Member

I would love to have a home business then I could work when I felt like it. I just don't know what to do.

Do any of you work at home and if so what do you do?

My father was very ill with diabetes and he had his own business(which would be out dated now,due to computers) but it was great for him because he work when he could. He did a lot of local traveling, so he couldn't stay in to do most of his work. The way it is now you can do almost everything from your home.

Any suggestions? I work in retail with not much experience in anything else so I don't know what to do.Thanx!

For the fight,
    TAMARA!
  3. Vicky

Vicky New Member

hi Tamara,

i'm freelance, and i work at home most of the time. i think
    it's the only way i can work for the time being. i do illustration and i work for a cartoon studio. sometimes
    it's very hectic. but there are also long periods when i
    have no work at all= no money. i find it very difficult to go out and look for work since the FM has got worse, so i
    wonder if i'll be able to carry on. luckily, my partner has
    a steady job which keeps us both going when i have a bad patch, but this does tend to make me feel guilty ...

best wishes
    Vicky
  4. selmad

selmad New Member

I'm very fortunate to have a high tech sales job that I can do mostly at home--although sometimes I have periods where I do have to drive alot---but can set my own schedule for the most part. I don't know what I would do if I had to work in a toxic 8-5 job environment--- I need clean air, not fluorescent lighting, windows , and good food/tea to function--it's the only way I can fit the excercise I need in as well. I think most sales jobs though intense from a pressure perspecitive/ , you can work from home these days and control your own hours..... so it's some thing to look into.
  5. tamara!

tamara! New Member

I hope to get more replies.Thanx for your input.
    TAMARA!
  6. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

I don't know what I would do if I couldn't work at home because I certainly can't work on a regular schedule. I sell products over the internet.

Two of the products that I sell I designed myself and have patented...thank god for the energy I use to have! The other products I purchase and resell. I have to say though....I think working at home, as glorious as it sounds has a few BIG draw-backs...1) you are always thinking about what has to be done next 2)you are the one who has to follow thru and complete the work which depending how sick you are can be very difficult 3) I have come to the point where I don't like or even WANT to leave my house...not good for a social life!

Susan/RN/Calif
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

I sell through home presentations. Yes, it's multi-level marketing, but it has been a Godsend for me. It's a reputable company and I can work as much or as little as my health allows. I'm not soliciting here. I'm not posting an email for you to contact. There are some good companies out there though, who aren't just trying to get your money.

Barbara
  8. tamara!

tamara! New Member

I was curious.

I went to work today to talk to my boss, because I'm out due to my knee and back problems right now, and I can no longer hold the same position that I had so they're giving it to someone else. That made my depressed.

So I don't know how much longer I can work. The problem I have is ins. I have to have that. My husband is still in school.

I feel so frustrated I like to do things and have projects at work to acomplish but I am not up to that anymore.
    My "will" is strong but my body can't keep up because it feels old. I'm only 31.

I may have to find something to do at home too.

Thanx for the info.

For our fight'
    TAMARA!
  9. Rozmund

Rozmund New Member

Hi tamara - I tried it for awhile - but I was working for someone else - Purolator actually. They operate 24/7 - sometimes you have no choice for hours - it was quite hard and expensive at the onset - seemed I always had to work from 10PM until 1PM - anyway they have moved their call centre to Halifax Canada so that job went. But I went to search engine googles on the web - and typed in work from home and it was surprising what came up - If you keyed in Home Business or other terms i.e Call Centres . there would be links with phone numbers to get you net working. The thing is to do work where you do not have to lay out alot of cash. Some companies want your computer to be dedicated to their software...but if that is what you really want I am sure you will be able to find it. Also, would there be local job agencies that can get you started working from home. You do not say what your speciality is - or your educational and computer background. These matter. Some times working at home can be frustrating when software malfunctions, etc. Also I learned that Pizza Hut and KFC sometimes advertise for order desks from various peoples homes - the telephone orders come in to your computer and you process them. The Shopping Channel used to work this way too. I have no idea what the pay schedule is - but as any home business, you are on your own...also, Amway - you can contact them on line and become an independent business owner, doing presentations at your leisure or advertise products from time to time, send out flyers, etc. But it is hard to really make a living at this type of thing...but it can be done if product sales is your thing. You can always work at a few things at the same time - so that a bit of money is coming in from different sources. Another idea is to go to your local Employment Office and inquire as to how they suggest you get started in a home business. I knew one girl that was an excellent typist - and got a job working for a doctor's who did not need a sit down secretary -just wanted his reports done accurately and timely. Lawyers as well sometimes need this service or their secretaries need help from time to time. Good luck and let us know when success happens.[This Message was Edited on 11/21/2002]
  10. tamara!

tamara! New Member

That helps me with ideas. It may not be any time soon. I really don't want to stop working because I afraid I'll get stiff etc.
    I will definately check out that stuff.
    Thanx!
    For the fight,
    Tamara!