does anyone's gums swell?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cay24dive, Nov 15, 2002.

1. cay24dive

cay24dive New Member

I have noticed in the last few months my gums keep swelling up for some reason, and I was kinda hoping that is just was not me, it is happening more so in the back of my mouth kinds where your winsdom teeth would be, and I know it is not that because I had them remved last year.
    Erin
    Thanks in Advance
  2. cay24dive

cay24dive New Member

I have noticed in the last few months my gums keep swelling up for some reason, and I was kinda hoping that is just was not me, it is happening more so in the back of my mouth kinds where your winsdom teeth would be, and I know it is not that because I had them remved last year.
    Erin
    Thanks in Advance
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are three things which constitute dental emergencies: Swelling, pain, and bleeding. Any one of these things should definitely be checked out by your dentist.

Seems we are more prone to infected gums than the average person. Gum disease can lead to all kinds of problems, including heart disease and joint pain, among others.

Some of our medications produce dry mouth which can set up an environment for gum disease. We should all go the extra mile to ensure proper dental hygeine.

Love, Mikie
  4. 2girls

2girls New Member

I also have swollen gums and my wisdom teeth were removed
    20 years ago. My dentist says all is ok but I wonder..
    Some days are better than others. I suffer from TMJ so maybe this contributes to the swelling/pain.

2girls
  5. Holly_RN

Holly_RN New Member

Hi Erin,
    I have the same problem, but I think mine is more due to the Dilantin I take for my seizure disorder. Some medicines also have the side effect of making your gums swell and bleed. You might want to take a look at you meds, and see if there is something, that has this as a side effect. Another point of interest, is if you also have the Mitral Valve thing that often goes with Fibro (which I have), you do have to be extra careful, when it comes to infection. Talk with your dentist about this. Bleeding and swollen gums can also be a sign of peridontal disease. It's best to check this early, before you run into bigger problems down the road.
    With frienship,
    ~Holly_RN~
  6. cay24dive

cay24dive New Member

Thank you all for your posts.
  7. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

The greatest thing I personally took from the respondants concerned the mitral valve prolapse most of us have; there is the "click" type and the "murmur".

I know for a lead-pipe cinch I did not have MVP or PVC's prior to the symptoms of FMS showed up; I had simply had too many physicals over the spance of 45 years for someone, including a cardiologist, not to have picked up on it; however I now have both; and

I am facing a dental emergency. I am soon to become "toothless" (I forget the tech work, something like (edentuous), anyway to top it all off it is my mandible! I elected to have all upper teeth removed with a rootcanal gave way as getting dentures, even with all the extractions, was the cheaper option! Didn't know I had FMS et al and I like to never healed;

Dental problems and MVP are serious business! I now have diabetes to boot and have been monitoring for last two weeks what my ability to heal is and then what! Can't localize me! Awaiting approval from TX HealthNetwork, I'm on SSI, for surgical excision of four remaining teeth (had bridge then lost a month ago two teeth central to the bridge); I got my referral Monday but have felt like warmed-over-death so didn't call doc til today for a Monday conference. One thing is for sure, those teeth must come out and any infection not already ocurring needs to be zapped!

If I were you I would run to both my med doc and my dentist or whichever discipline you use for your oral care. Believe me I am in a world of hurt should I not hold up until I get those teeth out before any necrosis begins in that mandible! Good luck! CactusLil'