Does anything help the burning in the muscles??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SherylD, Apr 15, 2006.

1. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Everything I do my muscles just burn and hurt...I can't take it anymore...

Has anyone found anything to help with this???

Thanks..

SherylD
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It's crucial to muscle/nerve conduction. I think that's why we get the burning achey feeling. I take 500 mgs 3 times a day lately. If I miss a dose, I feel it lately. It relieves it in about half an hour or so.

Jeanne
  3. srh

srh New Member

Where do you get pa? I know what you mean. That's originally how mine started was with the burning. Especially in the feet. They still give me fits.
    The only thing I've found was rubbing with an analgesic cream, and that only lasts awhile.
  4. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Where do I get that??? I have never heard of it...

5. ephemera

ephemera New Member

6. Jeanne-in-Canada

and many drug stores that sell alot of supplements. Pantothenic acid is vit. B5, but they never market it as B5. Just like the other B vitamin isolates have names, like niacin (B3), pantothenic acid has it's own name, even though it's B5.

It is a precurser to forming the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, w/ choline (another B vitamin) being the other part of the precurser. So supping w/ choline may help also, but I've never used extra choline to get results.

Acetylcholine is as important a neurotransmitter as serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine, but you don't hear of it as much, because there are no antidepressants that can manipulate it. but B5 helps to form it, so some have found this to be a powerful a.d., esp. if used w/ a B complex formula. Acetylcholine affects mood and memory and is essential to neuron conduction between muscles and nerves in the body, as well as it's profound affects on brain function and mood.

I've recommended it to many people and they've had various benefits, like better mood, one friend says his memory goes to hell w/out it, it helps energy, and burning muscles, esp. in the feet. Sore burning feet is a sure sign of deficiency in it.

I didn't know this when I started to take it, but my chronic painful feet, that sometimes kept me up all night stopped being a problem. It helps me in a few days w/ crankiness and severe clumsiness. It also stops the knawing, burning pain in my forearms, biceps and legs.

Jeanne
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i've been looking every now and then for b05, not knowingit was pnaothetic acid...i was wathcing some show about it once..

jodie
  8. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Found this on line after checking the NLM site & the Merck manual;

Pantothenic acid is a vitamin widely distributed in foodstuffs and is an essential component of coenzyme A, which functions as an acyltransfer cofactor for many enzymatic reactions. Adults probably require about 4 to 7 mg/day, corresponding to a whole blood level of 100 to 180 µg/dL (4.56 to 8.21 µmol/L), but no RDA has been set. Pantothenic acid deficiency is rarely observed in humans.

Adult volunteers on a deficient diet experienced malaise, abdominal discomfort, and burning feet associated with paresthesias, which responded to pantothenic acid. In clinical practice, however, these nonspecific symptoms rarely respond to the vitamin.

Jeanne -- are you taking that much of a dosage? The above 4 to 7 seems terribly low if you're taking that much?

thanks for your help. I'm going to look into this.

Every time I stoop to garden lately I've had intense burning in my thighs. So much so that it's hard to stand up & I need to push myself up from the ground with my hands (not using my legs for force & stength). I then need to sit & rest for some time for the pain to subside. Have noticed the heating pad doesn't help this burning at all.
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

taht supposed p.a. deficiency is rare. Pan means everywhere, and since p.a. is in many foods, they assume deficiency is rare. I don't think it is at all. Nutrient content of foods is nowhere near what it used to be, nor what it should be because of modern agricultural mass product practices. I could go on all day about that one, but I'll move on.

People w/ FM/CFS have malabsorption problems from IBS to name just one source of our nutrient deficiencies. We also have widespread problems w/ neurotransmitter function, hence the widespread perscribing of antidepressants for us.

I take 500 mgs 2-3 times a day. And can sometimes go w/out the extra megadosing of p.a. But when I feel myself popping off about every little thing and getting really clumsy, I know what will relieve that in just a few days of use. And the burning muscle problem will stop w/in an hour of a dose.

Jeanne
  10. Jeanne-in-Canada

but they don't help me much. I tried taking magnesium, but it really bothered my gut. The only way I can take it is Milk of Magnesia, which is a good laxative, or I can take a multi mineral supplement. I have a strong one, very heavy in cal/mag, about the ratios the other poster mentioned, but w/ the addition of at least 10 other balancing minerals. It has a slightly laxative effect and can make my gut a bit squishy feeling, but I can handle it. it makes me a bit more relaxed, but I don' tget the painkilling benefits others get. I've tried seperate cal, or mag supps and cal/mag combos and they bother my gut.

You can also try magnesium maleate, which can be a great painkiller for FM. I get a herx from it though, because the maleate part is malic acid from apple pectin which is a powerful chelater and chelaters detox, so it's out for me. But for many FMers, magnesium maleate are better than either seperate.

Jeanne
  11. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Makes my muscles burn. I'm much better now that I don't eat sugar or processed foods. When they do burn I take long hot baths and/or use my electric blanket.
  12. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I was hospitalized for surgery on my femoral artery in December of last year. I had been in a lot of pain recently and I was craving chocolate like never before. When my labs came back I was severely deficient in Magnesium. They gave me a bag via IV. The chocolate craving went away immediately. It didn't help much with pain but I didn't expect much due to the snow storms and changes in barometic pressures. The moral of the story is...if you're craving chocolate and it's not your time of the month or you are a man, you could be deficient in Magnesium.
  13. Jeanne-in-Canada

If the thing about the chocolate cravings is true, then that explains why magnesium doesn't do anything for me then. I pass up chocolate more often than not. I eat lots of nuts, I'm sure I get my quota there.

Jeanne
  14. caperkat

caperkat New Member

I use my heating pad wherever the burning pain gets too unbearable. I really need to cut out the sugar though, as that is probably the cause of so many ills, or at least makes things worse. It is so hard to give up sweets.

kat
  15. matthewson

matthewson New Member

The burning muscle problem is exactly what my FMS feels like. I take neurontin and tramadol and it takes that feeling away. I also take mag and calcium. If you don't get any relief from just supplements, then ask your Dr. if he will prescribe some tramadol. It really works well for FMS pain.

Take care, Sally

PS. Molly mentioned sugar, and actually if you can stay off of sugar, it really does make a difference in your pain level! It's just SO hard to do![This Message was Edited on 04/17/2006]
  16. SherylD

SherylD Guest

You guys are great!... I have been really busy and haven't had a chance to get on here...

First of all...I don't eat sugar...I cut that out back in Dec....Second..I take Mag./Cal./Zinc..I get no relief with the burning pain..I think it does help a little with the tension..

But I am with Jeanne with the mag...I think it affects my gut...Not sure though cuz I take it with so many other things...But after adding that I started having a bit more trouble..

It use to be that I would only have the burning pain for a while and it would go away for a while...Well that's not the case anymore...I have it all the time...

Like right now typing...my arms and hands are just burning soo bad...If I go up the stairs my legs just burn...Everything I do...

I was doing my stretches for a while...but then we got really busy and I haven't taken the time...I do think that did help a little...I will make myself do those tomorrow..

I am going to get me some of this B5 and try it...What do I have to loose...I already take so many supplements what's another one..LOL

Jeanne...What all supplements do you take?? Are you having any luck with the yeast thing??...I am still having a heck of a time with it...I wear a splint for my TMJ and I think it must me caked with yeast...I wake up every morning and my mouth is so gross...Tongue is white...It is such a huge battle..I take so many things to try to fight it and I feel like I get nowhere...

Thanks again everybody...I would love more input...

SherylD
  17. SherylD

SherylD Guest

18. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Hi Sheryl, The only thing that helped my burning muscles was exercising in a warm therapy pool. At first, they hurt worse, but I guess I pushed through the pain and they have calmed down a lot. Also, the elavil and Neurontin, Cortisol help with the muscle burn too. I sure hope you find some relief!

Laura
  19. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Try some detox bathes. They have helped me alot and there are many suggestions on this site. You can look up "skierchik" for the one my doctor gave me to do. It helps with stress too! I haven't had burning muscle pain since, just some muscle fatigue.

Are you taking Magnsium by itself??? You need at least 800mg per day probably more. My doc has me on about 1200mg per day of Chelated Magnesium. It has helped the muscle fatigue alot.

Hope you get some relief soon!

skierchik

20. jake123

jake123 New Member

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: Rest. I can be a burning, wretched mess when I get home from work but if I can rest in a cool bedroom, even fall asleep, for about an hour, it will improve things.