Does ANYTHING help your Gerd? need help,..please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Mar 8, 2009.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi everyone~
    the purple pill sux. Its helped me hardly none in 3 months.
    This heartburn,regurging my food after meals,burping, sometimes a mild sore throat,etc,....
    its driving me nuts!!!
    I've looking for alternative,natural things to help me with this and every darn site that claims to have the answers wants $$$$$$ just to read the info!!!
    why are so many people so money hungry that they can't share whats helped them without
    charging people?? its sickening!

Does anything help your Gerd symptoms??
    I've heard an apple slice helps and I'm gonna start trying that today~
    have any good FREE advice :)

[This Message was Edited on 03/09/2009]
  2. loto

loto Member

i cut down on the sweet stuff, only allow myself one sweet treat a day. I take prilosec and it seems to be helping.
  3. toddm

toddm New Member

I've had very bad gerd as long as i can remember, I went on PPI's from the day they were on the market. I have very bad esophageal spasm so I'm not a canidate for the wrap (though this now doesn't look like a great option) I was on Nexium for a few years then it suddenly stopped working, currently I'm on Zegrid. This works......for now. I hope you find something that works for you, and that you start to feel better soon.
  4. toddm

toddm New Member

Had mine out in Sept of 2005, didn't change a thing. Still have the burning hole in my back even after it was removed.
  5. munch1958

munch1958 Member

When it got to the point where I couldn't pick up something off the floor or tie my shoes without the mini-vomit in my mouth, I decided to have GERD surgery. I had been on 2 doses (1 every 12 hours) of the purple pill which was not working.

The surgery is called a Nissen Fundoplication. Afterwards, I found ONE dose of the purple pill worked. The reflux was so bad it was going into my lungs at night causing asthma.

I finally was able to kick the purple pill when I started Abx, Diflucan and Nystatin for treatment of Lyme and coinfections. After 8 weeks of Minocin per the protocol, I was purple pill -- GERD free -- for the first time in over 20 years.

You said you wanted something natural tho -- My sister swears by apple cider vinegar and baking soda or some such cure she read about online or in one of those books at the health food store.
  6. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

1) I get GERD if I go off of my bioidentical estrogen replacement. Had severe GERD before I got the RX for it. Using too much progesterone will also flare up my GERD (an E2-P balance issue).

2) Bend-over tasks like sorting laundry on the floor or weeding flared the reflux back in the day.

3) Peppermint & chocolate are notorious culprits in GERD -- they futher relax the sphincter that prevents reflux. There may be other diet culprits, but for me these 2 were key. Avoidance was all I could do, and it did help.

Best wishes.
  7. ulala

ulala New Member

drinking 2 tbls. apple cider vinegar with fresh lemon juice.

Also taking muscle relaxers at night help seem to me. I think that stomach muscle spasms keep the food from digesting properly and the food just sits there. I was taking 2 mg. zanaflex capsules and that was helping but my hair started shedding. I just started Amerix (an extednded release muscle relaxer) last night. I hope this will help with the GERD.
  8. lonna1

lonna1 New Member

There is only one thing that helps me. I was quite surprised to find that is does. I started taking GABA in the 750 mg strength. No more heartburn or anything. Try it and see. Prohealth sells it for about $10.00 for 90 pills which lasts for 90 days. I sure feel better and hope you will too. Started taking them about 2 years ago and so far so good. Dotti
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

so many ideas to try~
    I did buy some apples today cause i heard that even eating a slice with meals helps GERD.
    It might have helped a little :)
    I tried it with dinner and so far so good.

yea,... this gerd has become a nuisance. Everytime I bend over I burp up food contents.
    It burns my throat too.
    I also have a need to cough or clear phlem from my throat alot. ??
    Is that gerd too?
    I just read today about the baking soda & apple cider vinegar for gerd.

I asked that a endoscope be done along with my last colonoscopy and the gastro. did'nt feel it was nessesary. (yet) yea,... go figure.
    that was last yr.
    I might have to push for it.
    thanks again everyone
    I apreciate you all
  10. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

You don't take have to determine first whether your GERD is being caused by too much acid or too little....if antacid pills aren't helping, it's likely bc you actually have too little acid (and the pills will actually exacerbate that problem)....if you have too little acid, your food doesn't get digested well, and it winds up pushing food and acid back up your esophagus...the symptoms are the same, but the cause is the way to tell is to try taking apple cider vinegar (about 1 tablespoon - you can mix it with water if you need to) with your meal....if that solves the problem then you have too little acid....if it doesn't, then you have too much and either a pill or baking soda (not sure of the amount, though) will help

I agree, though, that if you have had the problem awhile with no relief, you should get an endoscopy to make sure there isn't a bigger problem going on
  11. simonedb

simonedb Member

I had tried zantac and prilosec and lots of natural remedies and was going thru a flare with it year and half ago and the doc came up with new idea: sucralfate, oral liquid in little individual containers, it works pretty well for flares, i dont like to use it a lot because constipates, but i thought it was cool a western med doc came up with something besides a pill that is pretty beneign.
  12. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Orange oil capsules work. sells them, about twenty dollars a pack. They really help.

Capsicum in soda. There's a Goya Jamaican Ginger Beer soda with it. Strong as hell, but you'll find that it gets rid of the heartburn temporarily.

Cutting out dairy products alot, cutting out chocolate, caffeine, sodas, peppermint. Basically, a bland diet.

Smaller meals, or waiting longer between meals. I've found that if I don't eat for a long period of time, sometimes that gets rid of it, but then as soon as I eat, bang.
  13. Empower

Empower New Member

Yes, it has helped that I don't eat after 7:30 or so

Also, don't drink carbonated drinks - the worst!

AND, I notice that baked goods are really bad for me

Medication made me worse
  14. tandy

tandy New Member

your awsome!!!
    I've learned more here on gerd then from anywhere I searched.

I might try gaba too.
    I just wanna research it a bit first.
    I use to jump right in when it came to buying and trying things,.... I've finally learned to really read into what your about to try first.
    I've wasted so much money in the past.
    oh,...and all the foods that agravate gerd,..? I love.
    :( (should I say LOVED?)
    huge Thanks
  15. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Make sure to take a good probiotic--it helps the entire digestive system.

Did you raise the head of your bed--This sure helps me from the nighttime GERD--get some if I don't eat low-fat or too close to bedtime.

I take Prilosec and it helps--doesn't cure it--but tolerable. Carafate when I get a flare of gastritis.
  16. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Prontonix 40mg twice a day. It works great for me!
  17. Meg1710

Meg1710 New Member

Just want to comment about GORD/GERD and it's occurence in Fibromyalgia.

I have just been diagnosed with Gastroparesis (paralysed stomach) and many of the symptoms are very like reflux disease and they can occur together. So don't assume it is GORD/GERD. I have been taking PPI's off and on for a few years but then symptoms worsened so I had further testing done.

There is much information about Fibro people having 'digestive' problems and doctors often glibly label it IBS or GORD/GERD but p-l-e-a-s-e check this out thoroughly.

The first I knew that there could be a connection between Gastroparesis and Fibromyalgia was from this website: Go to the booklets section and you'll find a brochure there which is entitled "Your Digestive Distress is NOT IBS". It's very specific that doctors are over diagnosing IBS whereas it could be Gastroparesis instead.
  18. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

They'll make it worse. They're highly acidic, and acidic foods are what triggers GERD.
    I learned that the hard way when I was little and we'd thought I might be lactose-intolerant because I was sick all the time, and the only thing we could think of was milk. Turns out it was the apple cider, setting off my GERD. I can only have apples once in a while now; same with any citrus fruit or melons (though melons aren't quite as bad as citrus fruits).

If you're talking about Nexium, it never really helped me, either. I tried 3 or 4 meds before I found one that worked. I've been on protonix for years, now, and it's the only thing that's kept me nearly symptom-free. I don't regurgitate food much anymore, and not much heartburn unless I eat something that really sets the GERD off, such as spicy food.

In terms of more natural relievers, I've always found that things like milk, cheese, yogurt, and any type of bread will help settle my stomach when the GERD is flaring. Think bland--rice, chicken soup, etc. The only fruits that won't set my GERD off are bananas and grapes, though that may not be true for everyone. Bread definitely helps to soak up some of the excess acid when it gets bad, though.
  19. marcygirl

marcygirl New Member

I have used Gaviscon (OTC) for 35 years with good results, but lately I've had such bad chest pains that a stress test was done. My heart is fine. My antacid was no longer working as well. My Dr. gave me Prevacid which has completely eliminated the pain. Prior medical history: removal of gallbladder, barretts, esophageal stricture, large hiatal hernia. The Prevacid seems to be helping a lot.
  20. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I currently take 80mg a day of pantaloc and I still get reflux issues flaring up. I find that stress is one of the biggest things that makes it flare. I'm in a terrible one right now....and that's because of dealing with insurance.

So...I haven't found anything pillwise that helps consistently...but lowering stress where possible, does seem to work for me. I also have our bed raised up 5 inches. If you haven't done that works for nighttime. Also, we make sure we eat at least 3 hours before bedtime.

take care,