Does Anything Natural Work for Irritated Bladder?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Sep 1, 2008.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Yogurt gives me irritated bladder, but I felt like I was getting a yeast infection, so I ended up eating the yogurt a few times during the week. And sure enough, now I've got irritated bladder. Is there anything natural I can take for it? Garlic used to help, but it doesn't seem to be doing it now.
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I'm working with a male cat that has FIS where he gets an irritated bladder without reason and no test can figure it out. Putting lots of DISTILLED water into the food he eats is working terrific and the vet is pleased. Sometimes the tap water can contain minerals or chemicals from the treatment plants that can slightly irritate (you have found that apparently yogurt irritates), so my cat is on distilled water to drink, but the vet said getting extra water into his diet keeps the bladder well irrigated and helps. Maybe it will help a human too!!
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Is it possible that the acidity of the yogurt was irritating your bladder? Some women -- I'm one -- are highly sensitive to bladder irritation by acids, esp. at times when estrogen is low.

If you think the idea has merit, you could try easing off of fruit & juice, salad dressing, vinegar, coffee etc. for a few days.

Good luck.
  4. spacee

spacee Member

It is called D-Mannose and you can get it online. It has been studies and some articles about it are getting into Urological Journals.

That stuff helped me so much, I had a very irritable bladder that would spasm and feel like an infection but not grow anything.

It is a "simple sugar" but not at all in the way we think of sugar You can get some for about $15 plus shipping.

Spacee
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2008]
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

I have used d-mannose very effectively to stave off bladder infections (if I do it at the very first sign) -

altho I've also had bladder irritation without infection, I used the stuff that's now OTC made by AZO (Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride (95 mg) to ease symptoms and it always goes away after a few days.

I wonder why the d-mannose would help if no infection? I've never thought to try it for irritation. It kills the e coli in UTI infections because they 'go for it' as food but since it's a sugar alcohol, they die... so wondering why it'd work for irritation.

I was actually just reading stuff tonight about it as I need to order some, was trying to see if there were any updates but didn't see irritation mentioned.

BTW, what's REALLY interesting (to me at least) is the fact that several years ago it was found that e coli can form biofilm/cysts to hide out while one takes abx, then erupt and re-infect after the abx are discontinued. Interesting because it is what lyme and mycoplasma and other stealth infections can do...

Anyway, I've been taking d-mannose off and on since it came out, I'd say it's been 90% effective at preventing infections ......... and the 10% I did get I think is my own fault (not treating quickly enough). Well, if I get another case of 'just' irritation (bad enough!), I'll likely try it!

all the best,
    Victoria

6. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to give some that stuff a try.
  7. homesheba

homesheba New Member

gona sat extra water also.
    i know drinking more water has helped me very much-
    and i always have gotten infections there.
  8. nfjords6

nfjords6 New Member

First thing to do is NOT eat yogurt. Try cranberry juice or cranberry tablets. It works for me. But there are times that nothing works for me except a trip to the ER for a shot of morphine.

Good luck
    Sheila
  9. WOW now for me cranberry juice IRRITATES BIG TIME! My old urologist said sometimes cranberry juice irritates an already irritated bladder. Although I know it helps some fom getting infections I have heard.

Try taking calcium citrate, max. you can take. Also tums with calcium in them help. If nothing else they have OTC uristat that helps . LOTS OF WATER!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2008]
  10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

Prelief tablets with food help, as does cutting out sodas, chocolate, alcohol, tomatoes, citrus, caffeine, spices and sweeteners. Don't take Ibuprofen & be careful with all fruit.

You could try drinking only still water at room temperature. I find porridge/oatmeal soothing but it has to be the real stuff that takes 15 minutes to cook.

Desert harvest Aloe is the only one suggested for irritable bladders. You will find lots of suggetions on the Interstitial Cystitis Network forum.
  11. simpsons

simpsons Member

i take cranberry capsules mega dose strength and they really help

cranberry juice can really help also but don't take one with added sugar as sugar feeds infections

hugs
  12. rocky76

rocky76 Member

[This Message was Edited on 10/03/2008]
  13. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

For goodness sake don't take ordinary aloe or cranberry juice; they are both much too acidic for an irritable bladder.
  14. hensue

hensue New Member

I first take a valuim. It calms nerve endings. When i have a bad flare that is the first sign. You know even to the point of no sleep. When i fist got fibro i was going to urologist. no infection hurt even bladder spasm. Once i do relax and maybe darvocet. just a little unless i am going to sleep then i take a flaxseed oil capsule pretty big insert in vagina. Of course yu are a little uncomfortable until it melts. Helps tremendously. I think it is a combination. calm the nerves. Flax seed oil helped a lot i usually have to do this and go to sleep so i also take my klonopin. next morning if still hurting not as bad. i insert another.
    Heck we will try anything no harm done.
    got to get rid of pain.
    Thanks
    hensue
  15. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

and drinking that with no sugar. It seems to help. I found out about doing that here in Chat. I think this helps because it alkalinizes you.

tee
    [This Message was Edited on 09/04/2008]
  16. victoria

victoria New Member

I currently have been battling an ongoing bladder/kidney/colon e-coli infection for the past 2 weeks, have had to up the amount of Cipro as the culture showed it would work, but need higher doses (ultrasound showed inflammation in all 3 areas - yep, I've had tourista as well since moving to Mexico 6 weeks ago). I cannot find my usual standbys here unfortunately, the d-mannose or the Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride.

SO - a HUGE Thanks for the tip re the aloe vera gel caps. I couldn't find the AZO or any other Ph. Hydrochloride brand that wasn't combined with another abx here in Mexico.

My DH does have aloe vera caps tho, and I've been taking them regularly, almost immediately worked (after taking 3 caps 2X about 2 hours apart with LOTS of water). Just started taking them yesterday, could tell today when I need to take more as I sort of forgot about it (feeling a bit too comfortable I guess finally!), and again it worked quite quickly.

Many MANY thanks!
    Victoria

Tee - that sounds worth a try too![This Message was Edited on 09/04/2008]
  17. hensue

hensue New Member

I was dying when i get flares it is the first thing that starts. In fact when i first got fibro that was one of the symptoms, so i was going back and forth to gyn. or urologist. No relief no infection, did have uterus removed helped bladder spasms.
    One day i was trying to go to sleep i take klonopin at night and valuim. So i still could not sleep so i inserted flaxseed oil not real comfy at first eases the pain. Went to sleep the next morning still having so uncomfort inserted another flaxseed oil and any time i hurt from then on. I think it is all a combination a do not insert valuim i go to a pain clinic you know calms your cns.
    Sometimes if the pain was real bad i would pinch off a little during day and also insert flaxseed oil.
    Try it you never know. It was beside me on my night stand and it is a yellow clear gel type not black i get mine again from to your healt only arizona.
    so there are different kinds. There is one i buy from health food store encased in a hard black looking coating that does not work these are golden color almost translucent and it works.
    Thanks
    hensue
  18. hensue

hensue New Member

I was dying when i get flares it is the first thing that starts. In fact when i first got fibro that was one of the symptoms, so i was going back and forth to gyn. or urologist. No relief no infection, did have uterus removed helped bladder spasms.
    One day i was trying to go to sleep i take klonopin at night and valuim. So i still could not sleep so i inserted flaxseed oil not real comfy at first eases the pain. Went to sleep the next morning still having so uncomfort inserted another flaxseed oil and any time i hurt from then on. I think it is all a combination a do not insert valuim i go to a pain clinic you know calms your cns.
    Sometimes if the pain was real bad i would pinch off a little during day and also insert flaxseed oil.
    Try it you never know. It was beside me on my night stand and it is a yellow clear gel type not black i get mine again from to your healt only arizona.
    so there are different kinds. There is one i buy from health food store encased in a hard black looking coating that does not work these are golden color almost translucent and it works.
    Thanks
    hensue
  19. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Interstitial Cystitis Network forum. Thanks for sharing this site.

The flaxsseed therapy sounds interesting too--might have to try that one.