Does being labled as

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sisland, Jul 10, 2006.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Disabled bother anyone? it seems to me that whenever i have to exsplain "Why i Can't Work" to someone they always say "oh so your disabled" I see. almost like it's a curse!

which truley it is! but not one that any of us ask for or exspected to happen to us in our lives!! There are so many talented and well exsperinced people Here ! also lots of college Grads! lots of Mom's people of all walks of life!!

It just makes me wonder how they came up with the word Disabled to describe our conditions . I know it's late and i'm rambling (should be sleeping right) But i'm trying to come up with a more positive descriptive word for us!! any ideas?
  2. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

It makes me feel funny. I am missing something and I can't put the feelings that I have in to words. I don't look like someone who is disabled. I drive a car, I walk a bit just not far, I do every day things yet there are things like standing for more than a few minutes that I can't do,after I stand for over 3 minutes I can't walk because my knees have locked and my back is hurting and I walk like a 99 yr old woman.

I have worked since I was in my teens, A Nurse's Aide, in a nursing home, A Nurse's Aide in a hospital also, I was as Dental Assistant for nearly 20 years and yet I can't do that any more. I don't have the cordination in my hands to assist the dentist any more. I would be too afarid of dropping some thing on the patient.

All the jobs I have done have been in the Health Area, I loved bening a Dental Assistant and a Nurse's Aide I felt like I was really worth some thing that I was doing something were I could make a difference and now I can't.
    I have worked in other feilds , at a convience store, Too much standing, lifting. I have been a Cashier in a department store and worked in the fitting rooms and I can't do that either.

So as I have already filed for Disability I guess I better figure out how I feel about being Disabled hadn't I.

Rosemarie
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

for all your reply's ! I know it's a universal word! but i have to agree~~~ It is a phrase i will never get used to!!
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

and Gimps sounds better to me!! the "physically Chanllenged" comes to mind also! Thanks Gals for the input!