Does CFS effect your heart rate?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AutumnGirl, May 21, 2003.

1. AutumnGirl

AutumnGirl New Member

I was just wondering if you guys tend to have a high, normal, or low resting heart rate? I've been told mine is extremely low (58-60 bpm) and was wondering if CFS has anything to do with this or not.

Ella
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Mine is in the 80's which I have been told is high.
    You may want to do a search on the web to see what a proper resting heart rate is.
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

Just to confuse you further mine's all over the place.

GP thinks this is due to DDs effect upon autonomic nervous system.

You could just have a naturally slow heart beat at rest. A friend of mine has, he's incredibly active and busy all the time. No sign of CFS or FM.

Cheers

Tansy
  4. malony33

malony33 New Member

Hi, Autumngirl,

My resting heart tends to be high - anywhere from 80 to 94. Sometimes it it seems to flutter or feels irreguler...palpitations? arhythmia? In my next bloodwork, My FMS/CFS MD is checking homosystine (sp.?),which is an indicator of a heart "problem". Just one more thing with this DD. Trying to keep a "stiff upper lip", but it's been a rough year. I feel so sick, I am retiring from teaching; I'm not anywhere near ret. age and am applying for Ordinary Disability Retirement. Hate to leave my students, whom I love so very much, but I no longer can fulfill my duties due to pain, stiffness, fatigue, IBS, asthma, brain fog, you name it. How does this happen to so many of us and NO ONE can find real, reliable, consistent help, relief,and dare I say it, a CURE???

God help us all; He is our only hope (sorry if this is offensive to some). We just have to keep the faith, support each other, and make the most of every good day!

Thanks to everyone on this board; finding this site is like getting an unexpected present - the proverbial gift that keeps on giving!

Barb
    malony33

5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Have FM, not CFS but my heart rate is high too, it goes between 98 to 106. Been this way for almost 20 years now.

My blood pressure is pretty good, its 117/71.

HOpe others know more about this for you.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. starbuckboy

starbuckboy New Member

Hi Ella.

I also have an extremely low resting heart rate at 51-55 bpm, but mine has always been about that low since I'm a long time runner. The interesting thing is, not long after I started having major CFS symptoms, I started having heart palpitations and "flutters". Usually this happened at night, but I also have the occasional daytime episode. I also, every now and then, have a weird irregular heart beat. This persists for about 5 minutes or so and then goes completely back to normal. I've had numerous tests run on my cardiovascular system including: EKG, Echocariogram, and some sort of valve test. All my tests came back completely normal and the doctor said that I actually had a very strong and healthy heart.

I asked my current CFIDS doctor (who's cured many patients, I actually know a couple of them.) says that your heart experiences these abnormalities due to the stress and "tax" on your body which are a result of several system imbalances (i.e Endocrine, Atuonomic, Immune, Viruses...). Your organs, whether they are affected or not, have to bear the additional burden and sometimes strain under that burden. He said it's very "normal" for this condition and not to worry about it.

My point to all of this is, while I've had major symptoms that involve my heart,(I'm assuming your doctor has already ruled out cardiovascular issues), it doesn't seem to be a direct result of a heart problem. I hope that you find comfort in that fact and don't continue to worry, because I completely understand the new symptom/worry cycle that we seem be forced to endure.

I hope you found this somewhat encouraging.

-Jeremy