Does CFS ever get better??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mientjie22, Jan 3, 2006.

1. mientjie22

mientjie22 New Member

I have had CFS for about 10 years now and somehow feel that everytime I get really exhausted it is as if the CFS is getting better, the pain is less, and I seem to be able to get going again easier. Does CFS get better with time or is it in my mind? I am taking Herbalife Protein drink daily, maybe that helps?
  2. darude

darude New Member

I follow a ladies protocol in England. She had for almost five years. She was bedridden most of the time and certainly housebound but took baby steps. All natural treatments and she now has gone back to work and lives relatively normal life. She still has her things as she calls them and watches what she eats etc. She doesn't sell anything but has a website with advice.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

On how long we have been sick, our treatments, and what chronic infections we may have.

I'm better overall than when I first had to quit working but the progress has been agonizingly slow. I've had to do all my own research and work with my docs to implement my treatments.

The new FFC's seem to be doing what has helped me and more. I am considering going to the one in Atlanta to see whether there is anything my docs and I have missed.

The young and those who haven't been sick long may have spontaneous remissions but for most of us, it takes hard work to heal. I'm glad you are getting better.

Love, Mikie
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I have FM, but was cross dx'd w/ CFS. I was once bedridden, swollen lymph nodes (enough to even get doc concerned), swollen liver, swollen everything really, low grade fevers, burning cold feet and hands, too weak to stand to brush my teeth, constant nausea w/ occasional vomiting, the whole nine.

I'm very happy to be back to "just FM", not the easiest case in the world, but not the worst. I too got better in small increments. I went after it aggressively w/ many natural therapies. An all natural diet, not organic (too poor then), but everything homemade, w/ lots of soups, stews, sauces laden w/ healing foods like garlic, onion, cayenne, ginger root, parsely, etc; also very gentle chair exercises and walking, and can't say enough about deep breathing exercises; all played key roles. Also whatever supplements I could afford, which was the basics back then since I was so darn poor waiting for disability to recognize my disabilities, so I used lots of loose herbs and teas which are very cheap from bulk bins.

jeanne
  5. greyhound

greyhound New Member

After suffering for 14/15 years with CFS, I now have my life back.
    It has been a very long hard road,it took me a while to accept I had this problem, then decided that I needed help.
    Found a brilliant Nutritionist, who has been very patient, and extremely helpful.Followed a strict elimination regime, added supplements in, listened to my body and Bingo I have energy and my life back.
    Good Luck on your quest for a "normal life".
  6. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I seem to be backsliding, but I know of sotries were people do get better. It seems people have different magic bullets to help
  7. dobrydy

dobrydy New Member

What is that English lady protocol you mentioned? What is the website?
  8. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

I am also interested in the protocol that you mentioned.
  9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

A few days ago you were asking about mercury fillings...have you decided to leave them in and count your blessings? I'm glad you're doing so much better! Terri
  10. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

11. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

I'm gonna have a look at this.

I think what we eat and take to build our bodies up has a lot to do with getting better. The people that are mainly recovering are the ones that have concentrated on their diet and supps.
  12. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Hi Everyoen.

I also have had CFS for about 2 1/2 years and am much better thanks to supplements. But I still have lymph node swelling, can't really tolerate alcohol and get tired if I push myself a bit too much. I was wondering what kind of diet do you guys follow? Greyhound, you mentioned you eliminated foods.. what foods did you eliminate? If you could let me know.. that would be great!
  13. CASA02

CASA02 New Member

I have an uncle who is now 62 - He was diagnosed when he was 47 with CFS - he lost his engineering job at GE - was unable to finish his commitment to Navy Reserve - he had retired at 42 after 20Plus years in active navy - by the time he was in his mid 50's I truly thought he was going to die - he slept 16 to 18 hours a day, was no longer driving and had such cognitive issues that most times it was very difficult to follow his conversation/thought processes. He moved from GA to FLA in the early 2000s - Slowly he began to improve - no changes in diet, medicine, etc. I saw him this past August at a funeral and it is amazing. He looks like he is 10 yrs younger than when I saw him last. He has a smile on his face and is enjoying life again. He told me he ever so slowly began to see his fatigue begin to lift and he feels symptom free now! I pray this remission is permanent. He deserves a happy, healthy retirement!
  14. moaningjoan

moaningjoan New Member

It would be nice to be better, and I hope that it's possible! I also would like FMS to go away.

Nutrition is important as is lifestyle / activity.

I wondered when I was diagnosed and read about everything if these things were in my mind. Could I "will" myself better?

What if all the things we do like eat well, excercise, etc. is really a healing in the mind?

Any thoughts on this?
  15. darude

darude New Member

Have to ask mods if OK to post her website. She wrote a book and sends it out for free to help people. Will put on another thread OK
  16. greyhound

greyhound New Member

Hi Terri,
    Yes I think I will be keeping the mercury fillings, and just learning to forget they are there!
    It is great to feel so much better, and enjoying life again.
    My name is Brenda
  17. greyhound

greyhound New Member

You were interested in the foods that I have eliminated. It would be easier to tell you what I can eat. It is very basic, and considerably boring, but I reap the benefits by feeling so well when I stick to it. The main part of my diet is brown rice (organic short grain) as this helps eliminate toxins from the body. I eat white fish (cod,Haddock) occasionally I eat organic salmon, chicken, and turkey.Vegetables I can tolerate are broccoli, carrots,courgettes,peas, asparagus and a few brussel sprouts.Potatoes are o.k. too. No sauces, gravies, wheat, dairy, additives, alcohol,or fruit( as this depletes my energy levels quite severely).
    A typical day:
    Breakfast; Organic brown rice flakes made into porridge with rice milk.
    Lunch; Homemade vegetable soup, all the veggies I can eat slowly simmered in water, sometimes added chicken or turkey.
    Evening meal; Organic brown rice with steamed fish and vegetables.
    Snacks consist of Organic rice cakes/homemade millet cakes
    I drink lots of water, either filtered or bottled. Camomile or fennel tea.
    I hope this has been of interest to you.
  18. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

I have to say for myself, I have bad relapses, but thank-god I have good remissions, where you would think there is absouletly nothing wrong with me. I can not believe it my self. Something comes over me, and I can get out of bed like wild fire, and start to run all over the place and feel great. Then boom...I can not walk, talk ( no voice at all) one infection after another) so so sick (malaise) can not get out of bed even to make a coffee, can not bath wash, brush my teeth...just completely out of it...and for how long I never know...just like the remissions...This is what I go through, so strange, I can believe it myself. I take the regular meds like everyone else...sharon5650 up here in cold Canada....who knows about this dd it is so unpredicable...
  19. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

Both my brother-in-law and sister-in-law had it for about two years (this was years ago), and they are symptom-free today.

I still have it after 5 years. I'm still looking for an answer and a treatment as to why I have had it so long. Recently found toxic mold in my home and having antibody testing done - will get the results at the end of the month. If my antibodies are high to the mold they found in my home, I will hopefully have my answer as to why I am STILL sick and hopefully a treatment.

Jennifer
  20. CooBax

CooBax New Member

Thre is a book on diet and disease that talks about fibro...it is called The Gold Coast cure...i follow this diet as it is a very healthy way of living....good luck

Lesley
    Coobax