Does CFS turn into Fibro...or vise versa

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by berrytired, Mar 17, 2006.

1. berrytired

berrytired New Member

I'm new to the board...I wondering if this has been discussed...do stats show that if you have CFS you will then develope Fibro?
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Many medical experts believe FM and CFS are the same syndrome w/ a few different bells and whistles. That's always been my opinion too.

Jeanne
  3. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

I think over time many of us have started with one or the other only to cross over to the other eventually. I know that was very vague but alot depends on the individual, the devastation of the disease, and many other factors.

In my case I had sudden onset of CFS in 2001 and within the last year started developing fibro.
  4. jane32

jane32 New Member

Some people appear to develop CFS ater having Fibro from the books that I have read and others just stay with one. There is no real answer yet. I know my dr. things they are the same.
  5. berrytired

berrytired New Member

Ok...thanks. I've been so focused on the CFS that I've not really looked into the Fibro. Tho my doctor sent me to a Rheumy and she felt around and because I didn't hurt basically said "see you later and why are you crying"...don't let the door hit you on the way out. I have muscle stiffness in the areas like the neck etc...but I don't have pain that would enable me to not function...so I'm just curious whether its something to expect...but each individual is different and I do find that certain things are developing gradually so I'll read up on it more..thank you all!
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I don't think the stats show that if you have CFS, you will develop fibro. I've had CFIDS for over 20 years, and no fibro.

It seems that many people do have both, however. A lot of the symptoms do seem to overlap. I think the main difference is that with fibro, there is excruciating pain (from what I have read). I have none of that. Just intolerance for exercise, post-exertional malaise (crashing totally after exertion), weak immune system, blah blah blah. I also don't have the brain fog so many complain of. So there are differences, but a lot of similarities too. How's that for an inconclusive answer --

Mary
  7. berrytired

berrytired New Member

Well I understand what your saying...its a tough disease to figure out anyways. Thanks...I'll do a little more research on Fibro...