Does Chocolate trigger Fibro symptoms????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by busybusymom, Jul 12, 2008.

1. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I've been in a terrible flare since Father's Day like no other. I am going through a divorce and realized lots of it could be due to stress, but am wondering if certain foods, especially chocolate or sugar, triggers the awful joint/muscle pain?

Tonight I realized after eating some M&Ms (I LOVE chocolate!) that I started getting flu-like, and 3 hours later, I still feel the pain all over.

I really can't find anything on the internet, so any insight would be great!

2. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

I'm not sure if chocolate & sugar can trigger FM flares, but I do know they are triggers for migraines (as well as MSG, salt, and alcohol).

Since both are neurological conditions - perhaps you are on to something. I have noticed that red meat can cause an FM flare for me. Also: stress, weather changes, and hormones.

Maybe keep a food diary?

3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I really have to avoid over-doing sugar or I will defintiely flare--feel really crappy the day after my indulgence. I've come to realize I can only have my sweets in moderation or I will pay for it big time.

Incidentally, I avoid all red meat (veal as well). It is a huge trigger for me and is definitely not worth the momentary indulgence. My rheumy told me to avoid nightshade vegetables as well--potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant. I slip with these occasionally but I will feel it a little after eating these.

BTW, another thing I avoid is sugar substitutes of any kind, like Splenda or NutraSweet or Sweet'N low. Definitely disagree with me.

Anyway, try to have your sugar in minimal moderation; you will see the difference.

[This Message was Edited on 07/13/2008]
  4. kbak

kbak Member

If you have any type of herpes virus at all, even cold sores, chocolate stimulates the virus. This may or may not be relevant to your problem.

Take care,
  5. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

Gee - sounds like I need to get control of the sugar/chocolate.

I thought about going to an allergist. Anyone know if the RAST or "pin prick test" is more reliable?

Thanks, everyone!

6. simonedb

simonedb Member

If you arent allergic to it or sensitive to it in small doses it might be good for you, it effects certain neurotransmittors in brain that can make you feel good, you could try buying very high end dark chocolate with no sugar, there are some good ones that don't replace the sugar with fake sweetner either, they just let the chocolate taste stand on its own, once you get over the sugar addiction it tastes good. I got the alcat test, think you can read about it at or google it and I am not sensitive to sugar but I am supposed to only eat it once every 4 days for now as with all my allowable foods, when I hadnt had chocolate for a couple weeks and then slipped and binged on it I woke up hungover the next day and sort of sick to stomach. I never used to notice that when i ate it all the time. Small animals arent supposed to eat it cus it can be toxic to them and whitley streiber says the aliens recommend against it :)
    I want to see if can do it in moderation and occasional, right now using it more regular than sposed to but giving self permission as quitting one medication to go onto another and I think my brain could use the endorphins, am using low sugar gourmet chocolate.

I have the same love hate relationship with caffeine, had to quite coffee but I love my tea and sugar.........

anyway I have definitely noticed increased pain later in the day over the year when I indulged in a lot of chocolate. I think its good to pay attention to what affects you, even keep a food diary, and then respect it, we are all so different.