Does Cold Weather Make Fibro Pain Worse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FibroPainSufferer, Feb 4, 2007.

1. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

Where I live, it recently got very cold and it just so happens that I’ve been in a lot of pain since the temperatures dropped.

I was tested for arthritis twice and both test said I don’t have it????

Today, I am in terrible pain & the high is only suppose to be 20 degrees.
  2. FibroPainSufferer

That is exactly how I feel...my muscles are tight & painful today. I’ve taken all my meds & I’m still not getting any relief!!!
  3. FibroPainSufferer

Right now I have one of those heating wraps, the one you put in the microwave to heat up, and it’s not helping.

I forgot about my Biofreeze, I’m going to try that right now!

This has been one of the worst days since being diagnosed!!! I even turned off my TV & put my relaxation CD on & it’s not helping!!!
  4. FibroPainSufferer

I put it on right after replying to you & I can already feel a difference. It’s only a little cold when it goes on but it doesn't really feel cold after having it on, it’s hard to explain the feel but it helps!!! And it’s a roll on so it’s easy to apply. The main ingredient is Natural Menthol USP.

Actually, the best thing I’ve found when it comes to muscle rubs is the O24, that stuff really helps me but the only problems is the strong smell & I've only been able to find it in a spray or towelette. I put it on one day at work because I was feeling terrible & everyone was complaining about the way I smelled, that was embarrassing!!! One co-work had to take her asthma medicine because she sits right next to me.

The O24 is good if you don’t have to go out in public.

[This Message was Edited on 02/07/2007]
  5. FibroPainSufferer

I edit the BioFreeze information. I was only trying to give as much info as possible because I’ve heard about produts on here but can’t find them. It can be frustrating!
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm always way worse in the cold temps.
    Its single digits here in NY and I don't dare even leave the house!
    when I do its downright horrible!
    my muscles seem to like "freeze up' and stay that way for hrs and hrs afterwards.
    I need a good thaw!! lol

I'm loving my soft chenele housecoat these days!
    slippers are a must have too!
    :)
    stay warm
    Tandy
  7. FibroPainSufferer

The temperatures here in PA are only going to have highs in the 20’s this week...Ugh!!!

I’m going on my first vacation, just an extended weekend, since being diagnosed with fibro. It’s an indoor water park and I’m curios to see how I feel while I’m there since it’s going to be warm. I really want to enjoy myself & not be in pain!!!
  8. grace54

grace54 New Member

with me. It is below 0 here in Michigan with a wind chill it feels like -20. I have noticed I am more sensitive to temps with my fibro and then my osteo-arthritis has flared this week too. I don't even like a cool room anymore.

Last year my former girlfriend was determined to keep her house like a freezer to save some money and I froze over there,she would say 'you want to pay my fuel bill and I would say yes at least for the few hours Im here. I would be glad to. I was always cranking the heat up at my place for her. Just the cold atmosphere with my extremities exposed was very uncomfortable. Its hard to watch a movie with a blanket over your head and your drink freezing up on you:)

Needles to say I appreciated my wood stove when I got home. I had a couple of drinks one night and I got the shakes like hypothermia, it took me a long time to get warm. Now my best friend is an electric blanket, Yes I think I'm in love again:))))
  9. pearls

pearls New Member

I've been having a lot of problems with drafts. If there is any kind of draft, even in hot weather, like an overhead fan, I'm in trouble. Also, I swear that when the house is cold, and I'm in bed with a zillion blankets, I can still feel drafts from the side of the bed. I roll up a towel and place it between me and the outside of the bed, and that helps.

A related problem has been my left calf feeling like it was freezing when there wasn't much reason for it to feel that way. I'd be wrapped up like a mummy, and still my calf was freezing. After being tested for blocked veins and all of that, I asked my pain doc if my leg might not be actually cold - that it might be my perception of it as cold - and he agreed. There is a big difference between it "all being in your head" and having perception problems, and my doc knows that. Still, when I'm having problems with that left calf, it makes me at least feel like I'm doing something about it to wrap up as warm as possible.

Just when I think I've gotten some kind of grip on the problems of winter, along comes summer, where it can be 110 degrees F., and even higher sometimes, where I live. That's a whole other kind of misery, complete with ceiling fans, frigid air-conditioning, and so forth, wherever I go, it seems.

Either the Fibromyalgia or CFS newsletter had a story, recently, by a man who went with his wife to live down in Mexico, so he wouldn't have to put up with temperature extremes. He said he now only has problems brought on by bad weather two months of the year (the rainy season) instead of whatever much longer time it was where he lived before. I love the seasonal changes, but I hate having to put up with the problems it gives my fibromyalgia. Moving to Mexico is not an option for me, though.
  10. momof471

momof471 New Member

My doctor goes on the theory that the Central Nervous System is heavily involved with the fibro. So that's out of whack already. Your Central Nervous System also processes hot/cold. So when these really cold or hot temps hit that stirs up your nervous system and pain goes out of control too. Sort of made sense to me, I get really painful in the cold and really hot, humid weather. Spring is on the horizon though, something to look forward too!
  11. kjfms

kjfms Member

OH -- does it ever.

Where I am in WV it is 16 degrees with a wind chill factor of 6 degrees and I have been in a flare already and today is worse if possible.

I am so sorry you are in pain as well and trying to find out what is going on makes it tougher doesn't it? I will keep you in my good thoughts that you do find some relief and that you will be able to get some rest.

I did soak in a hot tub that did helped. I am taking my pain medication.

If you do not have a prescription pain reliever you might try an over-the-counter pain reliever that you like and trust. Has your physician suggested one?

I do muscle ointments also they feel so good when the warmth seep into the muscle.

Stay warm and I hope you feel better soon you might enjoy a hot bath, some topical pain ointment, and nice cup of hot tea to help relax you.

Take care,

Karen :)
  12. hope4today

hope4today New Member

Where i live in central Canada it was -40 degrees Celsius (with wind chill) this morning as we left for church.It's a 40 minute drive. I was wearing 4 layers and got into a preheated car...with a preheated inexpensive heated car seat from Canadian Tire. It takes planning!

A hot bath morning and evening followed by 10 minutes of stretching help fight the seizing up. But a trick someone taught me years ago is running your hands under warm water for awhile. This is generally easy to do...ie if you've been sitting too long in a meeting or gotten to cold. I think it signals relaxation to the brain. It's easy to excuse yourself and head for the washroom for a few minutes to warm your hands.

If I have been out for awhile and come home I will put my feet in hot water and my body temp. seems to equalize.
    Mexico did sound great though!

Hope
  13. FibroPainSufferer

Pearls, I don’t have the option of moving to Mexico either. I’m sorry to hear about all the problems you’ve had with the weather! But at least it sounds like you have an understanding doctor! I hope you feel better!!!

Momof471, thanks for the information. That would make sense as to why I got worse since the temperatures dropped here. I hope you are doing well also!!!

Kjfms, I took a shower today & made the water as hot as I could stand it. It did help for a little while after but the pain came back. I do have pain medicine but I had the same problem, I got some relief for about 2 hours & it came back. Right now I’m drinking my “calm” tea to get ready for bed. This tea helps with relaxing & making sleep come easier. I also put my BioFreeze on. I appreciate your kind words!!!

I was diagnosed with fibro only 5 months ago but I think I had it longer so if I post questions that everyone already knows the answer too, you’ll know why. My life revolves around my fibro now. There are so many things I can no longer do. It also takes me twice as long to do most things like food shopping, wash, cleaning, etc...I also stay longer at work, with no pay, just because I’m slower now & I want to make sure my work is done before I leave for the day just so I don’t lose my job.

Thank you again & I you’re all in my thoughts & prayer!!!
  14. FibroPainSufferer

Today was another cold day but I wore layers & a co-worker gave me a space heater for under my desk so I felt a little better today.

I saw on the news that the cold temperatures are every where so I hope you are all hanging in there & staying warm!
  15. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

Here in Silver Springs it's been about 50ish all day and damp feeling..Nothing like an electric blanket to warm me all over! Yes the cold makes me tense and therefore more pain! So much for being from New Hampshire..lol
  16. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

Hi, the temps here in Northern Ontario are in the -40 range, too. I am in the worst flareup I've had for a long time. The pain is overwhelming and all over, deep and almost burning pain. I feel foggy and very fatigued as well. Just feel all-over awful.

Weather's been cold like this for days now but is supposed to break in another couple of days. My poor doggy can only go outside for a minute or so to do his business; too cold to send him to the park with my son, his nose and ears would freeze (dog's and son's!!!)

I'll take this weather over a trip to Mexico these days, though...too dangerous for Canucks down there!

nature
  17. nightngale

nightngale New Member

ok well this is the year of weird and worsening sx. First dry eye, worse arm,neck, shoulder pain, and now I have noticed that my finger tips are freezing in the house! Yes it is cold here too in MD. My neuropathic feet also feel like my toes are frozen. I went out yesterday with gloves on for five minutes and my hands hurt so bad!!!! When I touched them to my face they felt not cold! I did notice in a really cold grocery store this summer when I came out, after putting all the heavy platic bags in car that my fingers and hands were really tingly and cold. But it went away quickly like 5 minutes and I never really thought about it. Now they feel cold and weird in house. no color changes though, like it says, red white and blue...Could it just be a fibro thing?
  18. shrtcak81

shrtcak81 New Member

I definitely believe that cold weather makes me feel worse. I'm always much worse during the winter. I live in Vegas so luckily it's not cold here for very long. It's starting to warm up a little bit so I'm happy about that:) Even if I didn't have fibro, I hate cold weather. It just makes it that much worse.

Feel better!
    Crystal
  19. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Hi,

I am outside of Chicago & it has been blustery & cold. Now to boot it is snowing!!!! I am in tremendous pain throughout my legs & my left arm & neck. My poor husband's back is killing him & he has a double to pull tonight.

Anyone who says weather has no effect on our condition would be off their NUT.

So, I guess misery loves company?! I am thinking warm thoughts...Hawaii..I have a tropical calendar at work that I love to stare at when I am sitting here usually freezing in my office with my space heater on full force & chattering my teeth. I am glad though to be here. Don't get me wrong...

much love & stay warm my cold friends..

love your friend-
    fun :)
  20. nightngale

nightngale New Member

Ok I am now wearing two pairs of socks and a light jacket over my fleece shirt in the house and I am still cold! And my pain level has been terrible this whole month even before the cold hit here.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/06/2007]