Does CoQ10 really work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Michelle_NZ, May 14, 2006.

1. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

I've just started taking this. Its so expensive tho! My doctor has said most supplements are a waste of time and money - help, what to do?

Can anyone here say they've had improvements due to using this supplement?

Thanks in advance
    Michelle
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I get heart "flutter"s" from possible mitro valve prolapse.

It helped with that. I think I felt a little more energy.

i would give it 2 months and then decide.

Most doctor's don't beleive in vitamin's, so I wouldn't listen to them, try it for yourself then decide.

Best wishes,

Claudia

P.S. It is a bit pricey, but shop around prices differ. And if it really help's it's worth it.:)
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I noticed a difference once I increased to 300 mg. I actually decreased the dose from there and realized that I had been better on the higher dose. It was my energy that was better. Like everything else, though, it will help some but not others. That may be one reason why the studies are inconsistent.

Kathy.
  4. hope4today

hope4today New Member

I had grown skeptical about supplements after many failed ventures but this one did help me within a month in conjunction with siberian ginseng...just take the 2 capsules am and at noon as it can interfere with sleep.My naturopath recommended this combo and although I was very skeptical she has been right about other things.

i believe that those us with CFS/FMS whose hearts struggle with symptoms similiar to congestive heart failure....there was a paper on that posted earlier this year...can significantly benefit from it. But this disease affects different organ systoms in different people so we do have to try things for ourselves to see what will work for us.

I buy both the Q10 and the ginsing at Costco.

Hope
  5. hope4today

hope4today New Member

I had grown skeptical about supplements after many failed ventures but this one did help me within a month in conjunction with siberian ginseng...just take the 2 capsules am and at noon as it can interfere with sleep.My naturopath recommended this combo and although I was very skeptical she has been right about other things.

i believe that those us with CFS/FMS whose hearts struggle with symptoms similiar to congestive heart failure....there was a paper on that posted earlier this year...can significantly benefit from it. But this disease affects different organ systoms in different people so we do have to try things for ourselves to see what will work for us.

I buy both the Q10 and the ginsing at Costco.

Hope
  6. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

helped me with brain fog AND energy. Worth the price. Shop around to get the best deal. I used to get mine from vitaminshoppe
  7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Michelle,
    I've been taking COQ10 for 13 years. It is expensive. For that reason, every once and a while, I try to eliminate it from my diet. In about 3 days, I am exhausted and weak, and my legs are almost impossible to lift,in order to walk. So, I go back to the COQ10. I have more energy in about 2 days.

I read that: COQ10 is made by the body, but at around age 30, most people's bodies stop making it, so is needs to be added, especially if one has a condition that causes fatigue..

Why don't you try it and see if it's worth it to you. I know I can't do without it.

Good luck,
    Terry
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I don't think it's worth the price. There are cheaper supplements that work as well, if not better, at much better prices. Q10 got alot of hype from the medical community and therein lies the problem, they can now get away w/ selling it for inflated prices because alot of docs will recommend it.

I also agree w/ the person who said, don't bother w/ a doc's opinion on supplements, they aren't educated about them, and it isn't supplement companies lining their pockets w/ perks, so they generally don't perscribe them.

What do you want to use it for? If it's for an antioxidant, buffered vit. C, like calcium ascorbate powder is an excellent choice, and my personal one, and very cheap. I hadn't had a cold/flu in 4 yrs because of it. If you wan't to boost heart health and circulation, then proteolytic enzymes are a great choice, they help w/ pain and inflammation too and are a detoxer and blood thinner as well, and I use them all the time. They can be expensive because they have a doctor approved patented formula, but they aren't well known in N. America yet. Prohealth has a great knockoff I use, called ProEnzyme P.

There are other things too, but it depends on what you wanted it for.

Jeanne
  9. famtreethree

famtreethree New Member

CoQ
    Just some insight to supplements that maybe need to be clarified. Not every manufacturer is on the up and up. Some of companies are not concerned with consistancy and quality of product. I use USANA and you may be wondering what the difference is. There is a supplemental guide called the Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements- it breaks down by product and percentage of quality. This company has done themselves proud. Comes by mail and they have a discount plan for automatic shipping. Need to contact an independent associate to place an order.
  10. usanagirl

usanagirl New Member

I agree with you completely! I use USANA as well and I love them.
  11. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Thanks everyone. I have a 2 month supply so I'll see how I go and decide when I run out.

It's so hard to know what to to. If someone told me that cutting off my legs would rid me of CFS for the rest of my life I would do it.

Take care
    Michelle