Does CPAP help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Denamay, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Hi,
    I am off to a sleep study next week and I am wondering about the CPAP machine.

Some here say it does not help with pain or fatigue.

Has anyone had possitive results.

It's a lot of money if it doen't help.

Thanks for your help. Denamay

2. Scone

Scone New Member

I didn't notice much change in my CFS. However for my wife I don't snore loudly anymore.
  3. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

One of the first things my doc. did when I was diagnosed with cfs was to send me for a sleep study. Showed very slight sleep apnea, and, in a burst of desperation and hope I bought a machine. I have used it every night since. I am used to it - and a little afraid that I am physically dependant on it. It does help me breathe a little better, especially when I am really tired, but I do not think it has helped my cfs.

If I were you, I would wait until the results of the sleep study come through. If you do have apnea, you might have to have it: apnea can be very serious, but I read somewhere that sleep studies and selling cpap machines is a growth industry and lots of people who have them do not really need them.

Otherwise, you might have the choice of hiring one for a month first to decide if it helps. I had the option of hiring for 3 months before I bought and then got a discount -little- off the purchase price.

Good luck
  4. shep

shep New Member

My sleep study showed that I stopped breathing 6x a hour; with only reaching stage 2 sleep. The deeper you sleep the more probability of stopping breathing more times.
    My doctor explained the purpose of the C Pap was to keep me alive; to keep me breathing during sleep. He said a side advantage MIGHT be more energy.
    He was very honest at to the purpose of the machine. Some patients with congestive heart failure (which I have) have died during sleep.
    So, if you do not have any heart conditions, you may be wasting your money purchasing the machine if the only reason you are going to use one is in hope it will releave your pain.
    I would recomend waiting to see the results of your sleep study before purchasing one.
    Best of wishes for better health,
    shep
  5. Denamay

Denamay New Member

6. sandra12

sandra12 New Member

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea in August. I stopped breathing 75 times per hour. I was on oxygen prior to getting the CPAP and that helped some. My oxygen saturation at night was down in the 70% range. Needless to say, I was extremely sleepy during the day.

My fatigue is definitely less now that I am getting some sleep but I can't say that it has made the FMS symptoms go away. I have RA and some of the meds I take for that help with my fatigue, too. It's hard for me to say what symptoms come with which disorder.

However, getting the CPAP is one of the treatments that has made the biggest difference in the quality of my life. I would definitely wait till after the sleep study and see what the results are before buying a machine. In my case, my insurance paid for everything in full. I realize that most people don't have such severe sleep apnea as I do, but I think it might still make a difference.

Sandy
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I have obstructive sleep apnea and other stuff showed up in the sleep study but I can't remember what they were.

I do know that the ob. sleep apnea is what caused my congestive heart failure, so it is very important that I sleep with my CPAP every night. It helps me breathe better at night and sleep better, but it has not helped my pain level.

I couldn't do without mine!

Janet
  8. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Thanks folks for your replies!!

I will let you know my sleep study results.

I was hopeing that getting a better sleep would lessen pain,I guess I won't count on it.

I had the first part of the sleep study at home.

It showed moderate apnea and low blood oxygen level so I am getting further work done.
    Denamay

[This Message was Edited on 11/18/2005]
  9. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Even if you don't have a 100% turnaround, there are serious risks associated with sleep apnea. Even if it doesn't solve all your problems it will lower your risks of congestive heart failure, heart attack and stroke.

I have sleep apnea and have used a cpap machine for about 3 years. I got it prior to my FMS. I did not feel better right away but did have an improvment.

It depends on your individual sleep disorder too. All a cpap does is keep your airway open. If the apnea episodes are all that is keeping you from going into a deeper sleep, you may see a dramatic improvement.

I know the quality of my sleep correlates with my pain.

Sometimes it takes awhile to get used to the machine and to find a mask that works for you.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/18/2005]