Does Crashing Bring Tears?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsE, Jun 29, 2008.

1. MsE

MsE New Member

Do serious crashes ever make you cry? Although I knew I may have to pay the price, I recently returned from a trip to the Oregon Coast with my daughter and her husband. I made it through three more days after returning home, then crashed.

But this time, as during the last "crash," I have found myself very teary as well as achy and exhausted. I can't take antidepressants because of side-effects from most families of these drugs. And, I don't really feel depressed. It is just as if the terrible exhaustion and aching are too much, and it takes very little to make me weep.

Have any of you experienced this? MsE

JEANSKI New Member

Most times my senses would be so stimulated it would not take much to make me a wreck.

It may be just your bodies way of dealing with the sensory overload. Just try and keep things quiet in your life right now and you should stop crying soon.

It is unnerving to feel like you have no control over the crying. It can be embarrassing too if you are around others. But it will go away eventually.

I have noticed that when I travel I need my quiet time even more. When lights, and sound, and smells and touch are diminished.

I tend to cope better on vacation and afterward from making sure everyday a few times a day I take some quiet time for myself.

It has severely limited who i can vacation with but fortunately I really like the travel partner I have!
  3. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

MsE--I, too, find myself weepy when coming into a crash or a "dip". I've never been sure if the problem was physiological or emotional. I've never been much of a crier but it is overwhelming to realize that a terrible and all too familiar routine is approaching. I find that the crashes I anticipate (like after a big event or physical push) don't get to me nearly as much as those stealth crashes which occur for no known reason.

I just returned from a long and arduous trek to Texas to visit my ailing father. I've been much more emotional and weepy both during the trip and since returning home. I think many things are at play here. Obviously, I'm in the beginning stages of grief over the impending death of my Dad. But I also had it shown to me day after day on the trip just how severe my limitations are.

We would all be foolish and naive to negate or ignore our sense of sadness at the state of our health. Tears can be very cleansing and cathartic. I think a problem only occurs if we become "stuck" and cannot move on.

I'm finding that a good five minute cry can really help matters. Then I'm ready to muster up the strength to move forward. I also occasionally use tiny bits of Klonopin during the day to cut down on the neuroexcitability in my brain. I do count myself very very fortunate to have a supportive husband and family and am not prone to depression. So, you are certainly not alone. We'd be pretty silly to not be sad about this DD!!

By the way, I'm in Oregon. The Oregon coast is usually lovely at this time of year. I hope you got to enjoy at least some of your journey and visit.

4. greatgran

greatgran Member

My Dear MsE, oh how I can relate, as I am in one now and don't feel up to writing but will get back to you soon.

Think of you often,
  5. MsE

MsE New Member

I'll try to respond to all four of you in this note.

First, thank you so much for responding. It helps enormously, as it does every time something "odd" comes up with this dd, to know others have experienced the same darned thing.

Yes, Missizzy, I had a lovely time in Yachats. Lordy, but I love that little town! I felt so good while I was there--able to walk quite a bit. Maybe it really is the center of a vortex of energy. Suppose? I lived there one summer, years ago, and was delighted I had the chance to go back.

Jam338 and Jeanski, you both mentioned overstimulation. At least, I think you both did. I know that happens to me if I try to spend any time in a mall. Too many colors, too much going on. The same thing has curtailed my driving, and this really makes me feel like a wimp. However, I get rattled when I'm in heavy traffic at high speeds, so I avoid it now. Hooray for our local van service.

But I didn't feel overstimulated on the Coast. In fact, I felt happy and serene. However, your comments made me realize that the sudden illness of my son-in-law's father, which caused a delay in our trip, and the many discussions he and my daughter had about his family while we were on the Coast, did bother me. I felt their stress.

But this crying business is fairly new. No. I just realized something! It has been with me since my daughter's death last December, but now it only strikes when I am really exhausted. I mean, I cry for her, of course, but the day in and day out weepy stuff had pretty much gone away until the last couple of jaunts out of town. Guess it's all a package.

Thanks for writing and helping me gain some insight. I wonder why I hadn't connected natural grief and CFS exhaustion before? Like the crash brings back everything. Duh.

Dear Greatgran--we have been helping each other on this board for how many years? Hugs to you!

6. MsE

MsE New Member

Yes, it makes sense. I do understand about energy overload, and I knew, while I was on my trip, that I was asking for trouble. I've done this many, many times. However, it seemed totally worth it. It WAS totally worth it. :) However, this teary thing is something new. A crash, and then teary days. Oh well. Again--Yachats was worth it. :)
  7. simonedb

simonedb Member

most of the time i start to feel hateful when I have pushed too much
    not proud to say that, and many people see me as nice or chipper, I like to project that and be that when energy good, but on a small scale more days than not I have mini-crashes because I don't always time my lie down time perfectly in between activities and if I hit the miniwall and feel like I hve no 02 it makes me really grumpy, I dont want to talk to anyone just want to find somewhere to lie down til I can get reserve back. Its like jekyll and hyde sometimes.
  8. pawprints

pawprints New Member

One word....I know several people with our illness and they all say the same thing. Plus, we all crave sweets or carbs during a crash.

I say have a good cry and get it will feel better. Sometimes I watch a sad movie just to let it out and then I feel happier.
  9. kriket

kriket New Member

Awwwww. I know how u feel. Yes, crashing can bring tears. Sometimes I just lay in bed and cry. I get so frustrated with the pain and fatigue. My finace has fibro. too and we both often push ourselves and end up in a flare. He also cries at times. You are not alone !!!!!!!!!!

Love Krik
  10. MsE

MsE New Member

Carbs! Definitely carbs! But instead of giving me energy--helping--they make me more tired. Sometimes I think I am major weak because I give in to the cravings. Pasta! Other times I think it is part of the illness and to heck with it. Maybe it's part of the emotional thing: carbs=comfort food for me.
  11. MsE

MsE New Member

One of you mentioined that a good cry was helpful. For me it isn't a good cry and on the days I cry, I don't feel better afterwards. I wish I did, but I don't. It's all just overwhelming sometimes.
  12. joanierav

joanierav Member

but they are far different than the crying i do when i am in grief or watching a sad movie on tv or the theater. it may sound crazy, but when i am in a cfs relapse i get very weepy and that crying is very scarey, i feel like i may lose it. thank God i never do. but still it feels that way. joanierav
  13. greatgran

greatgran Member

I do hope you are feeling better today, so glad you were able to make the trip with your daughter even though you have to pay the price.

Oh, I can so relate to the tears when I crash. I haven't a clue as to why but with the horrible aches, exhaustion comes the tears sometimes I think its because I feel so darn bad I just cry, of couse there is the anxiety/depression that has to show up.

Wish I had an answer but can so relate. Yesterday I totaly collasped, the leg aches to the bone, I was in bed most of the day, with my aches, exhaustion and tears. When this happens I do take extra xanax which takes the edge off but seems nothing helps except complete bed rest.

My symptoms seem to be getting worse instead of improving. I am trying to keep my greatgran children during the week, there are days I think I am dying and can't take another step. My leg aches to the bone is my biggest pain , the fatigue and anxiety are so bad when crashing.

By the way do you still have the deep bone aches in your legs? My aches are so bad from my hip to my knee in both of my legs, the front part. If I walk or go upsteps etc. It doesn't hurt at the time but later.

With all you have been through you seem to be doing extremely well. Take care my friend and let the tears come
    they won't last but afraid they will resurface just like this darn CFS.

God Bless,

14. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

thanks for this post I wondered what was wrong
    i went to my daughters had the kids 13,11,9 old enough to help me
    I did little work they baked I supervised was gone 4 days
    2 hrs traveling next day I came home had a fall sat on the lounge room floor and cried like a baby my poor hubby didn't know what to do neither did I
    so the crash plus the crash to the floor took it's toll
    I need to give myself some more tlc i think
    [This Message was Edited on 06/30/2008]
  15. MsE

MsE New Member

Good morning Greatgran. Good morning all of you.

I'm sort of surprised at the number of you who have also experienced this totally weird, out-of-control crying jag business with crashes. This time I really had thought I was probably alone, but there all of you are--reassuring me once again.

Yes, Greatgran, my legs still hurt to the bone and I'm finding they seem to be weak at times. Also, as you said, I, too, seem to be getting worse, and not better. Not even maintaining. Just a slow decline. Maybe part of it is due to my age, huh? Not the aching legs, but the decline. :) Nothing works well anymore!

Ellie, when you wrote about your fall and then sitting there crying, I thought, "Exactly. It's like I'm on the emotional as well as physical edge and it doesn't take much to push me off.
  16. MsE

MsE New Member

You mention a difference between the tears of sadness and the tears that come with crashes. You know, for me it seems the tears seem to start out for no reason except pure frustration or--I don't know--exhaustion maybe. But sometimes they turn into a sort of grief. A sense of loss. When a crash happens with this dd combined with being 73 years-old, it seems as though everything is going. My life is disappearing and I still have so much I want to do. No fair!