Does eating meat help you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Adl123, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear All,
    Recently, I've tried to go vegetarian again, and I got sick. I caught the flu twice and got very weak. This happens every time, in spite of all of the safety measures I take, like keepping my hands clean, etc....

It seems that I need the type of protein that comes from meat, (chicken, turkey,fish and sometimes beef), or I get weak and then catch the first flu or cold that I'm exposed to. This is dangerous for me, because, on top of CFIDS/Fibro, and 14 other diseases, I also have Congestive Heart Failure,(a little gift from CFIDS) and my lungs start filling-up very easily. I also can't take any antibiotics.

Has anyone experienced the same circumstances? If so, what did you do? I would like to be a vegetarian, for many reasons, but it seems not to be in the cards for me.

Thanks in advance,
    Terry
  2. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I read something that different types of people need different diets. Some people need meat, while others feel better with none. It depends on your background, where your ancesters lived, along with other reasons.

I feel better on meat.
  3. Daisys

Daisys Member

I've done quite a bit of researching on diet. I read that about 15% of the population does well with vegetarian dieting, because of their metabolism.

I'm not in that group. I even need to eat red meat, or I start feeling weak. So, I eat oily fish, but also lamb and grass fed beef. It's the grain fed beef that's got the unhealthy fat. Cows aren't meant to eat grain, it's not natural and they get sick, which means they're the ones who get the shots.

If you read all the posts here concerning a healthy diet for CFIDS/FM, you'll find many basically avoiding foods that cause problems (gluten, dairy and sugar being the big 3), and being careful about too much sugary and starchy foods overall. Especially important by all accounts is to eat mounds, hills, of vegetables. This is what I came to after all my research, except I do alright with limited dairy.

I read over a hundred books on the subject, and hopefully no one will challenge me to find the source for all these points, because it would be a herculean task. :)

I love animals, so I know that feeling: conflicted.
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

An acupuncturist once gave me an article to read. It had to do with different blood types needing different diets. Blood Tyype O "The Hunter" was listed as a "Meat Eater." For O's, meat is healthy, but not whopping big steaks three times a day! The article sugested 6 oz portions, and said to keep it to lean meats.
  5. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Terry, I also have a lot of problems if I don't eat meat. I get plenty of protein in my diet without it (I'm a nutritional consultant so I know how to combine proteins for maximum benefit), but I really see the difference in my skin quality in particular.

I also have several conditions other than CFS/FM including a connective tissue disorder and CHF, so maybe that's why I need the specific proteins in meat...maybe even the myoglobin in the muscle helps.

I would prefer to be a vegetarian, but it just doesn't work well for me. I only eat Coastal Range organic chicken (the only brand I tolerate) with no skin and all fat removed, and I only use round or sirloin cuts of beef with no marbling.

Jan

PS - I'm also type O blood
    [This Message was Edited on 03/01/2007]
  6. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Hi Terry,

We are all so different. I had no idea that so many here feel better on meat. I became vegan in August of 2004 as an attempt to help with my CFS. It actually has worked out well for me.

I did improve a bit after becoming vegan so I have kept with it. I guess I am one of those who does better without meat.

What types of things are you eating when vegetarian? I think the key for many here (vegetarian or not) is to eat LOTS of healthy stuff like fruits and veggies etc. Are you getting enough protein?

How about if you do it gradually? If you slowly switch over so your body has time to adjust to being vegetarian do you think you will still have the same problem?

I am not sure what would help. We are all so different in how we react to things.

I am not sure what to tell you. If you feel worse and get more colds etc when vegetarian than it may not be something that will work for you.

I hope you find a solution.

Take Care,
    Pam
  7. DShep

DShep New Member

Really interesting question. I struggled with CFS for 30 years before I went on a vegan diet. I still have the horrible fatigue, but the diet solve my crippling arthritis problem that threated to put me in a wheelchair. I also had score throats all the time, restless leg syndrome, etc, etc. Most of the symptoms went away with the vegan diet. My system won't tolerate animal products of any kind or quantity.

I would love to go back to eating meat. I quite literally dream of eat steak, chicken, pork. As a matter of fact, just last night I dreamed of being at a buffet with lots of cheese, eggs, etc.

Thanks for asking,
    David
  8. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I can't eat a lot of meat. When I do I get sick, especially if it's red meat that's not extremely lean.

Every now and then I crave it and have to have it, but that's generally enough to last me for some time.

It seems since I got sick I had to cut back on the meat.
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Nurtionist:

You always have tips and also to check out many books.

Thank you for that.

As far as the menu: I have gone to Chinatown and found
    a loving, loose, all emcompassing people.

Yes, I worship there. Crazy maybe the M*&^^HJIO money to be around.

It is funny that she finds us know that Dad is gone.

I felt like drinking, but did not do it.

So I told my sister I was going away (Cape Cod) for many days and sould have a good time.

His job I told him about he did not believe me.

Well, here it is February and he is going crazy running rom doctor to doctor.

I told him to not go go near the woods,but he may be making his own destiny. He went it the woods.

nyrofan
  10. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

When I was about 6 years old, I remember the family went to a restaurant where we ate hamburgers. A few hours later, I was sicker than a dog, throwing up and shaking all over. I remember the hamburger was still quite pink in the middle. Ever since that time, I've had a nauseaous aversion to meat. (I hate going to the meat counter in the grocery store, yuck!!)

I can eat chicken or turkey, but only a few bites at a time. I can eat fish, also only a few bites at a time.

Not sure why my stomach is so messed up! IBS???
    Mini
  11. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I need meat to live. Plain & simple. I crave it, and I can make a whole meal out of it. Throw in a few veggies just for taste and texture.

I've never tried to live without it, don't want to!
  12. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hi!
    I've been a vegetarian for most of my life except for a couple of years when I was a big fan of Philly cheesesteaks. My doctor did recently suggest that eating organic meat might be good for my adrenal exhaustion since my iron levels are very low. He said that meat is cholesterol and cholesterol turns into hormones. I'm very short of hormones with adrenal exhaustion.

I used to catch cold, flu, and stomach flu all the time until I started taking additional vitamin A tablets every day. Now I rarely get sick as long as I have my extra vitamin A tablet. Taking Centrum is not enough for me.

Love, Jasmine
  13. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

meat is the ONE thing thats substantial enough to satisfy me..especially when my sugar is low. That and cheese...i know....fatty stuff but i truly need them. Milk helps too.