Does endometriosis affect hormones?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjr2003, May 28, 2006.

1. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

I am still waiting on my endo diagnosis, but, meanwhile, before my lap gets here, I feel like my hormones are just all out of sorts. It's like bad bad PMS. I am so anxious, and crying, and out of sorts; not like myself. It has been this way for 6 months now a week - 10 days before my period starts. I have always had pms but not like this. Sometimes, I get so wound up I feel bitter and hateful. I just wondered if endo can affect hormones because I have def. noticed a change in me since all this started. Please see my post for Swollen ovaries and endo ?'s too from yesterday for more info. Thanks, Carla
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

The painful patches that grow where they aren't supposed to are hormone driven by a woman's cycle. When her womb is getting ready to menstruate, so are the endometrium, only they can't, they engorge and fill w/ blood, but it has nowhere to go and the engorgement is very painful.

Endometrium are estrogen driven too. Many woman have the problem of being estrogen dominent because of so many estrogen mimickers being in our food and water supply. Also, foods like soy and supplements like vitamin E, and primrose & flax oil are strongly touted as women's tonics. They can be if you are menopausal and lacking estrogen, and suffereing hot flashes and other symptoms, but if you are still menstruating, you are should have enough estrogen, and will often end up w/ too much. Causing hormonal imbalance, which can cause PMS, painful periods, and/or endometriosis.

Jeanne
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Jean in Canada has it right. It is Estrogen MIMICERS that cause the problem. They are called Xenoestrogens and Phytoestrogens. Endo is strongly linked to DIOXINS, which are estrogen MIMICKERS are called Xenoestrogens. Extrogen coming from plants are the Phytoestrogens. This is causing your body to believe it is Estrogen Dominant. Natural, Bio-Identical Progesterone cream would help balance these hormones and would likely fix the PMS instantly and regulate the bleeding.

A product called D.I.M. (diindolymethane) is a phytonutrient found in cruciferous vegetables including broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower and kale. D.I.M. has unique hormonal benefits. It supports the activity of enzymes that help regulate and promote a more efficient aerobic metabolism of estrogen, resulting in an increased level of "good" estrogen metabolites (2-hydroxyestrogen) while reducing the level of "bad" estrogen metabolites (16-hydroxyestrogen).
  4. Lalania1970

Lalania1970 New Member

Carla,

I had endo and believe me I went thru the PMS and anger and crying for no reason till I had to have a hysto as I couldnt deal with the pain anymore. I also had ovarian cysts which didnt help. They removed everything but one ovary so that I wouldnt go thru complete menno at 24.
    Good luck and I hope you get some answers.
    Lani
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Someone started a thread w/ my name asking about the wedding too. We should take this in there, so we don't murk the issue about the important topic of endometriosis. But I couldn't resist dropping you a quick note.

Jeanne
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

There is an endometriosis association, at

www.endometriosisassn.org

that can give you a wealth of information. It is well worth joining.

They have books, latest info on drugs, surgeries, alternative approaches, causes, also have support lines, people to talk to, who can counsel you or just offer emotional support.

I was dx'd with endo 24 years ago, I found the candida diet helped immensely, in fact made the difference between experiencing symptoms or not! I also went on to have 2 kids with absolutely no problems and no miscarriages.

Endo can and often does persist into menopause, and I can definitely verify it is still estrogen-driven even tho I have falling estrogen levels... tried some soy phytoestrogens after reaching menopause, all it did was bring back excruciating periods. Some women don't have problems actually until after menopause.

And some continue to have problems even after hysterectomies, so there has to be some other components causing this besides estrogen. & estrogen mimickers..

So, it is still a mystery, just like CF/FM, but there is a lot of overlap with CF/FM and endo problems. Endometriosis Assoc. did a survey once, found a high correlation between the two.

Hope this helps,
    Victoria

PS: Why do you have to await results of the laparascopy? I was told right away in the recovery room...

[This Message was Edited on 05/31/2006]