Does everyone with fibro hurt all the time?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, May 24, 2010.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I have so many try to tell me that someone they know has fibromyalgia, and they dont hurt all the time, so I must have something else.

I find that I have different degrees of pain, on a day to day basis, but I still hurt all the time.

I get so upset with those that think that everyone should have the same exact symptoms, or they dont have it.

I was just wondering if any of you here have pain all the time, just to different degrees.

Thanks for any input!

2. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I have pain 24/7. The only time I do not feel my pain is when I'm sleeping. I can only get about 4 hours of sleep a night, but during those 4 hours, I don't feel my pain.

As soon as I get up, the pain is awful. Gently stretching in bed, then taking a warm shower will help the pain, but sometimes if my shower is too warm or too long, I will get fatigue from it, can't win.

My pain literally starts down the sides of my neck, all the way down to my little toe. Yes, the pain can be varying sometimes, but it's always there. Hugs, Chelz.
  3. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

Yes, I hurt all the time from the moment I get up to the moment I go to sleep. And if I wake up in the middle of the night I will hurt. Intensity changes from moment to moment. And if I'm under stress then I'm really a mess.
    Vitamins and exercise helps but never gets rid of the pain.....EVER. 43 years of pain.....From the age of 15....Nice way to live ones life.
  4. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

My heart goes out to you Jane! How do you keep sane? I have had this DD for 5 years and I'm depressed - I'm 43, so I have many years to go!
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hurt all the time?.....yes.

What is the cause of my fibromyalgia (a symptom of a larger infectious picture)?

A bacteria called Borrelia burgdorferi.

Many others here have discovered the same thing.

Please read this info including the symptom list.....
  6. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Yes I am like a lot of you, I have other things that cause pain. I have been a type 1 diabetic for over 37 years now, and I have diabetic neuropathy on top of my fibro pain. Plus arthritis.

I cannot say that the neuropathy pain is as bad as the fibro pain, because somedays its really hard to tell.

I just know that when someone tells me that I dont have fibromyalgia because I hurt all the time, I really wonder if they dont have something else themselves. I wont go there, because I am not a doctor, but it just gets so frustrating sometimes having to defend my pain. I shouldnt have to do that.

I do have days that I can actually do my dishes and vaccum the carpet all in the same day! That is amazing. I feel lucky when I am able to sit in a chair and watch tv, or do a word puzzle, that is a good day.

Thanks to all who replied!

7. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I hurt ALL OF THE TIME!!!!! I never have a break from FM pain, ever. I take pain meds and it helps some but never takes it fully away. Without pain meds I wouldn't be able to move, with them I can get some things done.

My pain does fluctuate but never gets below a 5-6 even with meds. But my 5-6 may be someone elses 2-3 or someone elses 8-9, since we all deal with pain differently and have different pain tolerance.

I also have CFS, but that cycles and I have bouts of fatigue, which can last days.

It is definitely very difficult to deal with years of constant pain and sometimes the pain alone can just make you crumble physically and mentally!

8. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Maybe in the very beginning my pain wasn't 24-7.
    But for this time in my life it is pain ALL of the time.
    I manage to keep going, but sometimes I think I will go to bed and not try anymore.

I am 71 years old and I have had fibro for at least 30 years.

The symtoms have changed over time, some symtoms have gone away, while others have gotten worse and of course there is always something new to keep the story going.

I think most people with fibro. have pain 24-7.Love Denamay

9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I have pain all the time and ya know what? I am really sick and tired of it!!!

Yes there are times that I hurt less, but I always have an underlying 'ache' that I guess I'm just used to.

I want to live without pain. Tonight I'm angry, I'm a bit sad. I normally take one day at a time, I have to, but truthfully I'm madder than h&ll that I am missing out on a lot I want to do in life.

Yes there are varying degrees of FM pain, but there are symptoms of FM that one must have in order to be diagnosed accurately. For those of us who have bad FM pain, we know that most days we suffer through it.
  10. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I have varying degree's of pain everyday, and at different times of day. I thought there was something wrong with me because I didn't no much about FM just after diagnosis.

In my local FM group I asked "How come I have pain all day, everyday. When will I start having some pain free days?" A member responded that they are no pain free days.

That response actually was a huge relief because I didn't feel like I wasn't losing my mind and/or not doing something right.

Hope this helps:)
  11. Allen

Allen Member

I hurt 24/7, head-to-toe and most people I know also have the exact same problem.
  12. rkidd3423

rkidd3423 New Member

I know exactly how you feel! I hurt from head to toe all day...all the time. Some days are a lot worse than others!

13. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi Julie. I hurt all the time, every single day, does not miss a day sorry to say. Just like you said, I do have different degrees of pain, but it is always there. For examply, 1 week before my period, I am in more HORRIBLE pain until my period is actually over, then the pain goes from a 10 back down to an 8, but obviously, it is still there.

One thing I am greateful for is this, although I have a hard time falling asleep, once I am sleeping, I don't feelt the pain. Pain doesn't wake me up unless I'm having a charley horse in my leg, I sleep right through it. Once I wake up in the morning, the pain returns with a vengence, or actually, it never went away, I just don't feel it when I sleep, I am grateful for that. I can't escape my pain ever:( Hugs, Chelz.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's just a matter of degree. Most of us have been in pain so long that we often don't even recognize our pain unless it is more severe. Many here have read that the Guai Protocol has worked for me, getting me off Morphine. That is true but even the Guai doesn't take away all my pain. It just allows me to function. Most of the time, I'm not in severe pain unless I injure myself (FMS causes injury-related pain to be amplified many times over) or get sick or run down.

I am grateful that pain is no longer my main symptom because it allows me to work on my CFIDS/ME and Sjogren's exhaustion. I can live with my present level of pain but many days, I have to lie down or fall down.

No one, especially those without our illnesses, should make any judgements about our pain or whether we do or don't have FMS. Children with Asperger's or Autism function at many different levels. Many conditions are like this. It shouldn't be that difficult for non-FMSers to understand. If they don't get it, perhaps we should say, "OK, if I slap you or sock you with my fist, would you still say I didn't hurt you with the slap?" It's a matter of degree of pain but it's still pain and with us, it's FMS-related pain. Oy! We have enough on our plates without having to explain it.

Love, Mikie
  15. jole

jole Member

what you're saying. Before I quit work I could only walk by holding onto the walls because of severe pain/mibalance. Another gal there use to laugh and say "I've got it too, and you don't see me holding myself up". Well, no, and she wouldn't have seen me climb into a saddle and ride a horse like she did Not quite sure how she was diagnosed, and I won't question whether she has FM or not....but I will question her right to judge my pain!

Yes, it is every day, and has affected every aspect of my life. I rarely leave home. But some things have improved. I no longer have the horrible imbalance on a daily basis, for instance. And as horrible as the pain is, I think it's still in 2nd place to the fatigue. People who 'think' they know, will never know, because they don't really want to anyway. We have our own special little club......outsiders don't want to join! Hugs...