Does fibro cause bad skin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nerdieduckie, Nov 5, 2006.

1. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I've always had trouble with acne and so on, but for a while it started clearing up nicely, and it seems now within the past few months it's come back on again. I haven't changed anything in my skin care routine and I haven't changed any medications, so what could be causing this?

I thought I was free from breakouts finally...

I noticed whenever I flared I broke out, but I haven't flared lately (or else I'm in a flare and just don't realize it anymore)
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I have this problem too, I relate it to this DD since I am almost 40 and still have issues! If I don't stay on top of it I get pretty bad. I just don't know.
  3. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

It doesn't happen to everyone, but my dermatologist has many FM/CFS patients with skin problems.

They include "adult" acne, excessively dry skin, rashes, rosacea, topical yeast infections and even outbreaks of "shingles". Some of these can be related to dysfunctional immune systems and others are hormonal, side effects of meds, or "other".

- julie (is free!)
  4. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

I've been to support groups, and the people there had quite good skin.

You may just have a predisposition to acne.

It is posible for skin problems to be a symptom of another disease. However, I know that you're youngish, and acne can go on for quite some years.

Annoying, I know, but most likely plain ol acne.
  5. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Hey thanks everyone!
    This could explain why my mum (+40) also has bad skin. She's not diagnosed with fibro but she may as well be.

I'll have to try that lemon juice tip, I'm getting really mad with all these breakouts >_<

And too, at this point it still could be age, but I wish I would grow out of it!!

PS: Prickles...you had best hide those earrings.......I don't have duck earrings YET. ^_^ Yes yes, 82+ ducks. I should take a picture of my shelves sometime, but they're not even all on those.
  6. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Haha, I have tried the toothpaste remedy and it actually does work fairly well. That's funny though, coz mum read in a magazine lately that it was only a myth, and it actually caused more breakouts. Works for me...

What's the BUD range? *doesn't have a psychedelic duck* Lots of yellow ones though...one amazing green one somewhere...I don't know where he went.
  7. treehuggr

treehuggr New Member

I have mild rosacea and it shows up on my forehead, mostly in the middle and especially between my eyebrows, the sides of the end of my nose and onto my cheeks and a little on my chin.
    In my early 50's, I started having eye problems and was diagnosed with "dry eye" syndrome and now have eye rosacea and can't wear any eye moisturizer nor any eye makeup period. I have a major self-esteem problem and my eyes are my best feature and I felt fairly self-confident wearing a little eyeliner and my dermatologist advised me not to wear any eye makeup even mineral eye makeup and so I don't and I feel so self-conscious because my eyes are so small.
  8. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

I've had to back off of everything. FM has caused too many sensitivities.

You might have a fungal infection rather than standard acne. Try using Tea Tree Oil on the sores to see if that helps. As suggested, lemon juice could work, too, but it's very drying and repeated use could cause other problems.

Raw honey is also a good antibiotic. You could also try that as well.

This could also be caused by your skin soaps, lotions, moisturizers. Try not to use them. The only facial soap I can tolerate is made by Ponds.

If your skin gets too dry, use olive or coconut oils.

Just a few suggestions...and I hope one of them helps.

9. Abbycat

Abbycat New Member

I have rosacea, which looks like acne but it's not. If you can, go to a dermatologist. The doc can give you the right meds for your face.

One thing that helps me is Neutrogena, skin clearing oil free makeup. It covers up the ick and helps dry up the spots. I'm not big on make up, but sometimes I just look to hideous. Ha, ha!

Abbycat
  10. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I've tried the skin clearing neutrogena makeup before but it never really helped much o_O

Oddly enough, I find using Maybelline's Pure makeup clears my face up better...and it doesn't have any um...skin clearing agent thingies in it.

I went to a dermatologist before when my acne was really bad, and she put me on some medicine but it made me have awful mood swings. Mum couldnt' wait to get me off of it. I got put on birth control by my ob/gyn for PCOS and that helped, but it seems to be wearing off. Argh.