does fibro get worse as you get older?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by katmolly, Dec 23, 2006.

1. katmolly

katmolly New Member

Does anyone know if this gets worse as you age? I originally just had a neck injury five years ago that has now turned into fibro with all the other symptoms. I'm concerned that it will get worse. I am still able to function (all though in chronic pain obviously) but am worried that this is progressive. Does anyone know?
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

That it can get worse as we get older, I know it has with me. The longer your body puts up with and deals with pain and illness the more damage it takes and the longer it takes to heal.
  3. abbylee

abbylee New Member

sometimes if it gets worse or if I am less tolerant (emotionally) as I get older and more frustrated in dealing with it.
  4. Daisys

Daisys Member

There's another thread around on the same subject.

I was just wondering that, and see that it looks common to have it progress. Good to know--I was wracking my brain, trying to figure out what I did different to suddenly have worse pain this winter.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/24/2006]
  5. California31

California31 New Member

I got better...for years....but something hit out of the blue a few months ago....painful flare....seems to be lessening...using a new series of herbs, and food regimen to hopefully get under "control."
  6. katmolly

katmolly New Member

i really don't do anything nutritionally for my fibro. i do take a multivitamin, but that's really it. do you have any advice on what i should do. i have a lot of burning pain.

thanks for any input you may have.
  7. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

is awful...It seems the more you use that area of your body the more burning there is. I use a tens unit, blue emu cream, massage twice monthly & chiro monthly. As long as I don't do anything to aggravate it, it does stay calm..BUT a person has to live & move around...

So when the burning starts, I know I need to sit still for awhile, then can MAYBE finish what I was doing. It's a never ending thing.

But I agree w/the others, aging & fibro worsen as the years progress. I think the aging process worsens the fibro in healing & our bods are getting weaker..Sad but true...I'm soon to be 64 & each year is worse...

I've learned to cope w/it all & do things as I can. No more pushing it for me. We all learn to pace ourselves..My mantra is; work, rest, work, rest. Again, sad but true.

I often wish I had my "old" life back b4 fibro, then maybe the aging thing wouldn't be so bad. But that's not to be.

Hang in there, do the best you can, & nutritionally, you will just have to trial & error the foods that might trigger symptoms..It's a long process also..As for supplements I take 1500mg. of calcium daily, a mega vitaman, fish oil caps to help lubricate the joints, etc.

I also take Clonazapam twice weekly for sleep. Others I've tried, work for a few days, then nothing.. I take other supplements for the other issues I have. I'm alway sleep deprived.

Blessings;
    Fifth
    [This Message was Edited on 12/24/2006]