Does Fibro make you age???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by levis, Nov 20, 2005.

1. levis

levis New Member

Hello all,

I have had Fibro probobley for about 5 years. 27 now and somtimes i feel 67.
    Recently i went home as i live away student- anyway felt really bad as my mother told me i look really old.

I guess i have a little, i mean does Fibro actually make you look older too?

Thanks
    Levis
    xxxxxxx
    Sorry to sound too ficke- as there's more to life than a pretty face. But just interested if we age faster!
  2. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I'm not sure I look older but my face has aged and I think there is a difference. It's in the eyes I think. Everyone calls this the silent desease but if you look in their eyes I don't think it's that silent. We can all usually see it. Maybe that is what your mom meant when she said you look older. It could also just be that your mom hasn't seen you in awhile and you look more grown up.
  3. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I don't think that fibro makes us look older. My friends always say how well I look etc. I think that when we are in a lot of pain we can look older for a time. I certainly believe that it does make our bodies age faster - perhaps a combination of pain, medication and lack of movement?

One thing I have noticed, however, is that a lot of people with fibro - and cfs- have old eyes. It might sound ridiculous, but if you look carefully in to the eyes of someone with fibro you can often see an old person's eyes looking out. I think the pain shows in the eyes.
  4. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I would have to say no. If you look at my profile you see I dont look my age. I will be 50 in a few months. I feel old many days but I dont look old. MY body inside has aged though way ahead of what the outside package looks like. People think Im in my 30's and say I look great. Its amazing what some makeup and a good hairdresser will do. INside there is alot of pain , numbness, tingling ,arthritis, brain fog and so on. I guess in a way the answers depends on if you consider aging how you look or how you feel. It has taken alot of the life out of me thats for sure.
    hugs poodlemum
  5. shep

shep New Member

I don't think fibro in and of itself causes the body to age faster.
    I think the pain and the fatigue of it does. We just get worn down and tired and depressed and those things take a toll on our bodies.
    Our attitude about havng fibro plays a big part in it also. If we stay positive and upbeat; that would be the best way to live with it..but unfortunaly most of us are unable after years of living with it continue to do that.

I took a test the other day to determine how old I 'really am in body". I am 56 and my test came out 76!!!!
    Boy, did that make me feel young and carefree!
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Seems most people i've met w/ it look young. People always think I'm younger too. it does amaze me how good people can look and yet have this, it's such a baffling disease.

Maybe your mother is like mine, and she likes to take potshots at you? if she's normally like that and habitually cuts you down, then i wouldn't take it too personally. i've learned not to trust my own mother's opinion, nobodies ever been meaner to me than her. it's a self preseravation thing after all these years.

jeanne
  7. Bambi

Bambi New Member

toward aging you, but the worst offender is stress! I've had a LOT of stress in the last two years and when I look in the mirror I am always sad.
    I just don't look unless I have to.
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I think we have a crumpled up look in our eyes, we might look okay otherwise but our eyes give it away.

I still dont look my age but I used to look 10 years younger like chocolat and now I probably look a couple of years younger. I feel old, my body feels old but not my mind.

Your Mum probably saw the look in and around your eyes and thats what made her think you look older, I doubt if anyone else would see that.

love
    Rosie
  9. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

... it strikes me funny how people perceive their own age "appearance" .. the people who say their friends tell them they look much younger than they are .. why would they say anything different ? who wants to hurt a friend, they want to make you feel better .. not worse !

As unlikely too, are the people who think they look older .. I think they are just too hard on themselves .. they see themselves at their worst .. and that really impacts their ego .. so even when they look better that previous image is there.

Human imaging is very complex when done by self perception and as for positive comments by friends .. that is why they are our friends !

Fudge : )
    [This Message was Edited on 11/21/2005]
  10. Gail8899

Gail8899 New Member

I'm 46, and the other day I asked my dr what was wrong with my skin. it is getting very thin, and see through. She told me that I have old people's skin! So not only do I feel like I'm much older, but evidently my body is aging far faster than normal too.

..Gail