Does Fibro make you Pee the Bed?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moonchild1970, Apr 13, 2006.

1. moonchild1970

moonchild1970 New Member

My bladder control has gone way downhill. They arent sure if it is the beginning of MS or just the the fibro.
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

moonchild:

IMHO, but I have never seen incontinence on a list of symptoms for Fibromyalgia.

nyrofan
  3. moonchild1970

moonchild1970 New Member

yeah im not sure what's going on either. To be honest its like the DR's wont even address it as a real problem. But it is for me.
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

No, I don't think FM causes you to pee the bed! Now, I think the urethra is a "type" of muscle, it has contractions of a sort that either holds the urine back or lets it go.

Could you see your gyn dr about this?
    You are very young, and this symptom concerns me...I would check it out!

I did have ur.inc. for awhile, but only while awake, and couldn't get out of lounger fast enough to make it to the bathroom that seemed 100 miles away at the time LOL

While it was goin on, I wore lite-pads and changed a few times a day. I did practice holding and stopping my flow, and I think it helped. As with many, many symptoms it just passed eventually....no pun intended! LOL

But plz consult with your gyn, or call their ofc and ask whom you should see, ok?

Best to you....
    findmind
  5. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

No, I don't pee the bed, but my bladder & urethra muscles are very badly affected by fibro. They no longer work in unison 'as is the case in MS'. I need to urinate up to 80 time a day, & always have a horrible feeling of pressure & also painful urethral spasms. I'm waiting for Botox treatment.

You need to see a urologist moonchild to see what can be done. There are lots of medications you can take that may help, or bladder instills could be useful. If necessary, you could have a catheter fitted. Don't just accept this problem.

There are lots of us with bladder problems & Fibro on the Interstitial Cystitis Network message board.
  6. moonchild1970

moonchild1970 New Member

Yeah it happens to me when awake or asleep and yes I've done the kegals and while it helped with after the kids were born with the incontinence apon coughing, or sneezing. the problem I am having now is different. It started out if I didn't get to the bathroom in time I'd leak small amounts and now it totally lets go. Sad, I'm only 35.

I agree with the MS DR it probably is the beginning of MS...
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2006]
  7. Gly

Gly New Member

As far as I know, it's not a symptom of fibromyalgia and I've seen lots of lists of symptoms.
  8. sues1

sues1 New Member

you will find many sitess to read on this..I found this one to be of interest:

The article focuses on the important research work being done by ICA Medical Advisory Board Member, Susan Keay, MD, PhD, at the University of Maryland. Dr. Keay has discovered a toxin unique to the urine of IC patients, called APF (antiproliferative factor). This toxin may prevent the growth of new, healthy bladder cells, and may also be directly responsible for preventing repair of the damaged bladder epithelial lining in IC patients.

The results of further research could lead to identification of agents that will suppress the production of APF, or enhance the production of HB-EGF (heparin binding – epidermal growth factor-like growth factor), both resulting in the formation of a healthy bladder lining. APF may ultimately provide a non-invasive clinical test for IC which would have a major impact on early diagnosis and treatment of the disease.

The AP article describes the history of the ICA, its Founder and President, Dr. Vicki Ratner, and her role in bringing IC to the attention of the medical community nearly twenty years ago. Interviewed were Dr. Josephine Briggs, Director of the Division of Kidney, Urologic and Hematologic Diseases at the NIH, and Dr. Monica Liebert, Director of the Research Office of the American Urological Association. Also, ICA National Patient Support Advocate and IC Patient, Kristina Hinchliff, is interviewed. The AP article mentions several promising new experimental IC treatments, including bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG); resiniteratoxin (RTX); and Botulinum toxin.

To read more about Dr. Keay's exciting research, and to read the AP article in its entirety, please visit:
    www.ichelp.org/research/TwoNewDiscoveriesInICResearch.html