Does Fibro progress as you age?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sec1971, Feb 7, 2006.

1. sec1971

sec1971 New Member

Hello. This is my first post. I'm newly diagnosed (3 weeks ago) and I've been researching this disease. The one question I don't seem to be able to find an answer to is, does this disease progress as you age? I'm 34 years old and I've had leg pain my whole life. Lately it's been almost nightly, which is what spawned my trip to the doc and the diagnosis. I've started exercising which seems to cause me MORE pain instead of helping, but I'm sticking with it. What can I expect as I get older? I'm wondering if the disease is progressing, or if I just notice stuff more because I'm getting older. Anything you can share will be helpful.
  2. Terry383

Terry383 New Member

Not that I have experienced. I have have had it for 20 years, was bad the first 10 years or so, but with exercise, removing dairy and nightshade veggies, and adding vitamins I have improved 95%.
  3. Frustratedandtired

Frustratedandtired New Member

I was told I had osteoarthritis at the age of 29. It turned out to be fibromyalgia I found out last year. I'm 41 now. My pain fluctuates and always has. I find that it's worse when I'm under a lot of stress. Sometimes when I get in the cold it's worse. There are a lot of factors that affect my symptoms. In my experience, age didn't really matter. Some other things that affect me: diet, exercise, rest.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/07/2006]
  4. sec1971

sec1971 New Member

Exercise affects it how? You do better if you exercise regularly, or it makes the pain worse. I'm doing 1 mile each morning and 1 mile each night on an eliptical machine. Think this sounds like too much? I was pretty much sedentary (work at a desk) before 2 weeks ago.
  5. sec1971

sec1971 New Member

OK, I'm new to this lingo. What does nightshade veggies mean?
  6. lilking

lilking New Member

all potatoe's except [sweet potatoe's]
    tomatoes,rhubarb have a look in a book
    called what your doctor may not tell
    you about fibro they have a diet in there
    it really help's

good luck and god bless
    [This Message was Edited on 02/07/2006]
  7. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

I work in a fitness center and I had progressed up to working out hard for 45-60 minutes. Next thing I knew I was in an ambulance, then in the hospital for 2 weeks. I know I over did the exercise. I workout maybe 10 minutes 2-3 times a week now and that's pushing it. I had the hospital episode in october.

I think exercies is great. I love exercise. I mean I studied fitness/wellness in college and now train people but please just be careful and listen to your body. It hit me all of a sudden. Our hearts have weaknesses that normal people don't have.