DOES Fibromyalgia RUN IN FAMILIES??????????Study

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suzetal, Nov 13, 2006.

1. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Does Fibromyalgia Run in Families?
    Researchers have found that fibromyalgia is more common among the siblings, parents and children of those who have fibromyalgia than in the general population. But their research didn't clear up whether this phenomenon was the result of nature or nurture. A new study funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) will examine the role nature might play.

Jane Olson, PhD, a genetic researcher at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, recently began a four-year, $2 million project to map genes in the selected relatives of 160 families with a history of fibromyalgia. "We're searching for genes that may cause fibromyalgia. If we find them, then we can learn about what's causing the syndrome on a biological level," says Olson. She expects those findings will help researchers develop effective treatments for fibromyalgia.

In a previous study, Muhammad Yunus, MD, a rheumatologist at the University of Illinois College of Medicine in Peoria, found a link between fibromyalgia and a specific genetic marker by studying 40 families in which close relatives had fibromyalgia. That study was limited, however, because it only looked at one genetic marker present on the cells, notes Dr. Yunus, who will help conduct Dr. Olson's study as a co-investigator.

Some researchers think psychological and social factors play a role in fibromyalgia because the syndrome has been found in people who have histories of physical and sexual abuse, alcoholism or depression in their families. To address these concerns, Olson plans to examine psychological and stress factors in her study, too.

Whether there is a genetic cause of fibromyalgia has been a contentious topic for researchers to explore, notes David Sherry, MD, director of pediatric rheumatology at the Children's Hospital in Seattle. "Proving this is like proving the nature vs. nurture aspects of overweight children," he says. Families and doctors both hold strong opinions and it's easy to offend one side or the other. Plus, the criteria for diagnosing fibromyalgia tend to be subjective, and that makes it hard to research psychological or genetic factors in a statistical way, Dr. Sherry adds.

Other researchers are examining familial tendencies toward pain syndromes in general, not just toward fibromyalgia. The NIH recently awarded Lesley Arnold, MD, a rheumatologist at the University of Cincinnati, a grant to study the prevalence of irritable bowel syndrome, migraines, chronic fatigue syndrome and mood disorders in the close relatives of people with fibromyalgia.
  2. jens2angels

jens2angels New Member

Considering my sister and I are both members of this board

I would have to say that yes it does run in families. Our

mom has it also.
  3. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

I would agree and say yes as my mother and I have it.
  4. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

My mother's sister has it and so did one of my dad's sisters.

My one aunt developed it after the tragic death of her only child and the other one after a car accident.

I think there definitely is a genetic connection, but it takes some sort of physical or emotional trauma to set it off.

Sue in Ontario
  5. suzetal

suzetal New Member

6. webintrig

webintrig New Member

I am considering doing a family cluster study. I really think there is a genetic factor that plays a role in these Diseases and tramas and flus bring this out totally in us.
    No reason why people can not join a study. No pill taking at all and I am sure they will keep your name private if you like! Just thinking out loud!

Great post!

Love,
  7. Liz919

Liz919 New Member

I'm postive it runs in families. I'm also positive it's genetic not nurtured because my aunt and I have it. I don't see her often and I didn't know she had fibro until after I was diagnosed. We always just thought she had knee problems but then after a surgery that didn't fix anything they realized it was fibro. She's almost completely "cured" :) She does some sort of juice pills and eats like she's living in a hippie commune but it works for her lol.
  8. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I have to believe that FM runs in families. I have FM/CFS and Lupus. Both of my daughters have FM. My youngest also has CFS and is being watched for Lupus.

I'm not sure about being nurtured in regards to FM. What does that mean exactly when it comes to FM.

I have questioned the fact that all of us came down with FM just a few years apart. I forgot to mention that we all have hypothyroid.

Our progression has been almost the same path. I have wondered if there was something about our environment to cause our illnesses.

All of us also have irritable bowel. So the idea of a tendency toward syndromes in general sounds right to me.

Hugs,

Jodi

PS. Give your dogs a hug for me too.
  9. saddlebred

saddlebred New Member

I have FM. I believe my youngest son has it but have not been able to find a dc to test him yet. My grandmother had Lopus. And my mother has CF. So yes I think it's pasted on.
  10. My maternal grandmother had it ("myositis", "myalgias") & diabetes

My aunt has fibro, diabetes, emphysema
    My mom, fibro, diabetes, diverticulitis, survived cancer 11 yrs ago (hysterectomy seemed to be the trigger of it all)
    My other aunt(their baby sister) in N. Carolina has fibro, all kinds of neck & spine trauma, surgeries, metal, cadaver bones, etc (fell off an army tank while working on it) and recently found out she has an aneurysm. She had also been dx'd & treated for RMSF (rocky mountain spotted fever)

I have fibro, cfs, MS, and tons of other dx's,

My dad's only sister, out of 4 siblings has fibro, and was dx'd, undx'd, dx'd etc with MS, but has ALWAYS had the typical 'butterfly, or malar rash" of Lupus, and a sky high ANA... (???)

I have one sibling, my older sister, she does not have it. Thank God.
  11. Geegafer

Geegafer New Member

I have FM - CFS - Lupus - Arthritis and Heart disease.
    My daughter has FM and Lupus.
    My youngest son who is in denial and won't get checked has many symptoms of FM.
    I would seem that it is genetic.

Gigi
  12. hot-tubgirl

hot-tubgirl New Member

yup. my mother and sister have it too. Depression and alcoholism runs in my family too.
  13. shep

shep New Member

On my dad's side ..no one had the disease as far as I know.
    All my grandparents and my partents are dead, so I can't ask a lot of questions. My dad has two living sisters who are both in the 80' and quite healthy.

On my mom's side : he dad had somekind of arthritis that cause him to not be able to stand upright and he walked squated and walked like a duck. My grandmother always complained of being sick and her legs, knees, sholders, back hurting. Both of her brothers had arthritis (they both died in their 40's from congestive heart failure)
    My mom had severe fibromyalgia and CF. She died at 67 with congestive heart failure. My day when he was 62 from alcoholism. Me, my sister and my brother all have severe fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue and all that goes with it.

I belive it is inherited and once you have it the stress of living in an abusive relationship plays a big roll.

Once the body is weakend from the immune deficiency we get with this DD, the stress is just the last straw and it all becomes a misery of 24/7.
    I do try to stay positive ..but having watched all my mom's family hurt day after day with this DD and watch the joy and zezt go out of their life and then after you suffer all that ; you have to die with another disease. :(

Some days I feel like I am not a person any more...I am a disese.
    Lets try to keep our faith strong and our prayers going up to the great Physician for a break through in treatment for us.

Love to all,
    shep
  14. kriket

kriket New Member

Yes. I believe it does. My mother has it also.

Kriket
  15. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I know my Granma had it, and so did my Mom.
    They were never dx'd with it tho, just the other Health Issues they had.

I have 5 Siblings and everyone of us has FMS. Along with other Condidtions.

We have all received our dx's from different Dr.s and at different times of our lives.

There are 4 of us, who are currently, battling the MRSA infection, they had theirs the longest, and no matter how careful I was, I ended up with it this Past Sept.

I think that later on, or sooner I hope, they will find a connection .
    Hope so.

sharonk
  16. robin1nc

robin1nc New Member

both my sisters and tow cousins have fm and lupos.