does FM cause breast pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kevieb, Apr 24, 2007.

1. kevieb

kevieb New Member

i had a hysterectomy about a year and a half ago----i kept my ovaries, so i know my body still has cycles, i just don't have a period to tell me when the cycles are. i seem to get alot of breast pain anymore. i know it coulbe be connected to my cycles, but it seems to happen more often than it should. does anyone else have alot of breast pain with their FM? i am 44 years old, so i imagine that i could be in the early stages of the "change". could that be causing this?
  2. NannyGlo

NannyGlo New Member

I think it does. That whole area (ribcage, breasts, and chest muscles) seems to be affected by FM. I can feel pain in every muscle (including breast muscle) of that area upon applying a little pressure. The sternum area can be very tender too, and frightening, because it may seem to mimic a heart attack. In my case, anxiety can also trigger chest pain and sometimes indigestion is responsible. I have GERD, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Thyroid issues, so sometimes it can be hard to differentiate which pain is causing what :-( So, yes, my breasts hurt all the time, but I get yearly mammograms and am post-menopause, and there doesn't seem to be any problem contributing to the pain in that area. My conclusion? FM! NannyGlo
  3. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

Hi Kevieb, am not sure but will say that I also have had breast pain only in one breast though and have been diagnosed with FM last year although i believe I have had it much longer than that. So I dont know wheter it is related or not cause you just have pain everywhere with FM so why not your breast. We all get aches and pains but to be sure check with your doc, everyone is different and better be safe than sorry hey.....
    God bless
    In love and light
    Connie

ps did you know there is medical evidence that patients with FM if they had a biopsy done of their muscles their chemical makeup is actually different to those who do not have FM! so my doctor ssays.........
  4. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

Hi Kevieb, am not sure but will say that I also have had breast pain only in one breast though and have been diagnosed with FM last year although i believe I have had it much longer than that. So I dont know wheter it is related or not cause you just have pain everywhere with FM so why not your breast. We all get aches and pains but to be sure check with your doc, everyone is different and better be safe than sorry hey.....
    God bless
    In love and light
    Connie

ps did you know there is medical evidence that patients with FM if they had a biopsy done of their muscles their chemical makeup is actually different to those who do not have FM! so my doctor ssays.........
  5. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

that.....
    fibro seems to affect have an affinity to affect "ribcage, breasts, and chest muscles".

Since I was a child I've had costochondritis pains (they've only been at a minimun in last few years as I've curtailed many activiies which i know may trigger it)

But over the decades I've had so many afflictions that involved the chest area: early 20's, frequent bronchiis, pneumonia, pleurisy, costochondritis (since childhoood as mentioned above). Since late 40's I still would ocassionally get Costo (dependent on physical activity), and I never get away from a mammogram without double-checking (exra immaging, and probably also a docor's request for ultrasound) These extra tests always (so far) prove negaive. The difficuly with getting clear images for mammogram is related to dense breast tissue. I also have been diagnosed with "fibrocysic breast disease". I have definitely read that fibrocystic breast tisue is found more often in women who have FM symptoms. That's kind of a controversial term (breast DISEASE) as now it's recognized as a condition and not really a disease.
    That's good news as far as your insurance rates (they were using that term to evaluate your insurance rates)...on the other hand...the condition might be emblamatic of a more disbling condition that falls under the wide umbrella of fibro.

When I was in full-blown menopause (early 50's) I suffered the most exaggerated breast pain. One day I went to my doctor with golf-ball sized lumps. Both she and I were alarmed. Within a day, they went away, just like all my most bizarre and alarming sympoms.

At 60, aside from still having a brutal insomnai, RIBCAGE pain is my main source of pain.

and I don't know WHAT it's all about. But I think that the chances are good that your current pains are due to "the change"...that and the added complication of FM (which will intensify anything"
    Best wishes, Sleepy
    P.S. My worst "change-of-life" symptoms were several years BEFORE menopause..."peri-menopause", and that may be the case with you also. I don't miss my FERTILE years at all!!
  6. clerty

clerty New Member

if I overdo things then it come on real bad !!!

Clertyx
  7. donna275

donna275 New Member

I have really really bad breast pain. It starts after I ovulate and lasts until I get my period. It is awful. If someone just brushes against me, I want to scream. I am 45 years old and two doctors told me it is hormones.

Donna
  8. serenety

serenety New Member

I had a hysterectomy at 31, (I`m now 39) they left a small wedge of an overy for the hormones which are still is still working thankfully but i had terrable breast pain for yrs. But i don`t know whether i can blame the fibro for that.
    Now i do have a terrable pain in the rib cage near where the heart & stomach live. I do think this is linked to fibro.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/25/2007]
  9. romanshopper

romanshopper New Member

In a bad flare, every part of my body hurts, including my breasts. Absolutely.
  10. Engel

Engel New Member

I have fibroids in it.
  11. I was having breast pain and tenderness and the gyn said it was from drinking too much caffeine. Weird. I don't think its anyhow connected to fibro. But heck who knows , most everything is you ask the drs. about.
  12. Iamnotmyillness

Iamnotmyillness New Member

So I am not the only one...I thought I was going crazy. I know that two of the 18 spots for FM are in the front under the shoulder blade, but I get it almost like a circle around the breast, 99% of the time on the right side. ARRGGGHH

I call FM the gift that keeps on giving, because every day we get a new little present (symptom)