Does FM get worse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fransmom, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Fransmom

Fransmom New Member

I'm new to FM -diagnosed last week by my PCP, but I suspected it was FM/RA or something for the last year. I have seen on the board how horrible this disease can be, and I'm wondering if everyone started with only some pain and it's gotten worse over time. So far, I've never been bedridden because of pain, I'm tired during periods of the day, but can still function reasonably well, and for much of the time if I take my Ultram for pain and Elivil(sp?) at night most days are okay - just background noise.

Am I going to get worse? Will I not be able to work? Did any of you experience my types of symptoms at this level? I've read about the excruciating pain that many suffer and I guess I'm wondering if that is my future. Thanks for any responses - I'm sending gentle hugs to all of who who've been sharing your stories on the other post - can't remember the title - today.

Eileen
  2. TerryS

TerryS Member

Hi Eileen!

I started out over 30 years ago with mild to moderate "aches" throughout my extremities. These increased over time, but still nothing that painful, more annoying.

Then, just this past fall, I had a horrible FATIGUE crash which, I guess, somehow exacerbated the FM and caused terrible excruciating pain throughout my arms, legs, hips, hands, feet. That's when I finally got my diagnosis of FM.

They put me on Lyrica. I think it's helping. At first, the pain completely went away, but I've had a couple of bad flareups of it - neither lasting more than a couple of days.

So, who knows!

I hope your pain stays minimal...

TerryS
  3. cheilluminata

cheilluminata New Member

I can only speak for myself, my experience has been some really bad times, some not so bad and some good times.My flares do seem to be worse than ever though. This one has lasted since the end of May with the addition of a non stop migraine. Not everyone will experience worsening flares, so don't assume you will. The best thing to do is keep a positive outlook and hope for the best.
  4. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I'm "old" and was dx'd 3 1/2 yrs. ago. The pain was so mild then (i thought it was BAD) but ovwer the years, the pain has spread throughout my body. my arms, wrists and hands are so bad now.

My back is also painful and my feet are numb. i do survive and keep going with my pain med., Tylenol #3 and Neuronten or generic gabepentin. I do go to my PCP nextk Tues. and see what he has to say. I haven't beem there for quite a while.

Gentle Hugs to you Eileen. I hope I didn't discourage you as each one of us is different. God Bless.

Joan
  5. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I'm "old" and was dx'd 3 1/2 yrs. ago. The pain was so mild then (i thought it was BAD) but ovwer the years, the pain has spread throughout my body. my arms, wrists and hands are so bad now.

My back is also painful and my feet are numb. i do survive and keep going with my pain med., Tylenol #3 and Neuronten or generic gabepentin. I do go to my PCP nextk Tues. and see what he has to say. I haven't beem there for quite a while.

Gentle Hugs to you Eileen. I hope I didn't discourage you as each one of us is different. God Bless.

Joan
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Mine has gotten better over the years, actually, so there ARE such stories out there. I really feel like getting treated for my food allergies made a huge difference in my FM symptoms. In my opinion, FM is all over the map---some people either get better, or maybe just learn to co-exist with their symptoms better. Some people tend to have bad periods and good periods, it constantly goes up and down. Others seem to get worse, or at least it FEELS worse. FM isn't supposed to be degenerative, but to many folks it certainly feels like it is.

As far as working, lots here have quit because it got too difficult or they needed to focus on taking better care of themselves, which is a very valid reason to quit---but I actually quit and then got better enough to go back, and I've done OK, haven't regretted that decision.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. Fransmom

Fransmom New Member

Thank you all so much for telling me what you've gone thru! I'm finally getting it into my head that this disease has very little that's predictable. It's reassuring that there are people with FM who have it mildly enough to continue to function. I love my job so much, and luckily the hours are very flexible (I teach at a university) so even with a bad day for me, I can still manage it.

Eileen
  8. maryann1958

maryann1958 New Member

I got Fibro in my teens and I am not in my late 40's. For me fibro has gotten worse and so has the fatigue even w/ meds. Hopefully this will not be the case for you.
  9. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

Like the person above, my FM has seemed to have gotten better over the past few years as well. Once I got the OA under control (I was disabled by that and the pain was almost intolerable) I started to get better. I have tried many unconventional treatments and they have all helped a little. After being unable to work at all for 10 years, I was able to go back casual/part time and am enjoying it. I really missed the social aspect of work.

There is hope. Find out what is causing the FM and you might start to work on that and see what happens,.
  10. We are all so different, yet so alike. Now mine started when I was very young. I have had it for over 30 yrs. and I must admit at first it seemed to go in remission, then OMG the last 12 yrs have been like a nightmare. But like I said we are all different so hang in there, nowdays the drs. have been meds for us.