Does FM weakness keep getting worse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Susi-di, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Susi-di

Susi-di New Member

I have been getting bouts of weakness in my arms and legs and you've all told me it is one of the symptoms of FM, BUT does it keep getting worse? I have to sit down as much as I can at work, and my knees feel sometimes like giving way, but they haven't. Is there ever another cause of it, besides the FM? or any treatments? thanks for your input. Susi-di
  2. Susi-di

Susi-di New Member

3. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi susi, sorry i can't be more helpful, but I think it does get alot worse, at least mine has been, yet i continue to get worked up for MS, myasthenia, muscle biopsies, etc. because i also can't believe that this is "JUST FIBRO!" Supposedly, exercise is supposed to help, but i had rigorous fibro regimes 3x/wk for over a year and even the "expert" agreed i was not responding as i should. AND--the really crazy thing is--I can lift BIG things better than i can do repetitive SMALL things like peeling potatoes, typing, cleaning windows, holding a phone to my ear, etc. My problem is basically ENDURANCE rather than true weakness, or so they say, but then again, "THEY" have never hobbled along in our shoes, have they! I have found that adequate pain control helps me to have alot better strength & endurance (still not good or normal, but better), but i can't explain why. So--no specific answers but you are not alone in this crazy fibro world!! Take care and have a good night--L
  4. Susi-di

Susi-di New Member

Thank you for responding so quickly. Mine unfortunately is true weakness. I just wonder how bad I'm gonna get and how much of my job I'll be able to handle, or if this weak feeling will go away for awhile or what. I look normal of course to everyone, so I guess the "normals" do not really understand. Thanks for your input. Take care. Susi-di
  5. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Mine seems to come and go and I think gradually worsens overall.

I would see a doctor if I were you just in case it is a symtom that can be helped.

Take care,
    Susan07
  6. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Has your dr. tested the weakness in your arms and legs? Have you had recent bloodwork done and evaluated? Just wondering, my limbs are more tired and sore than weak, and I do get the occasional tingling. Maybe you should have your dr. evaluate if it is getting worse. Hope you feel better soon, Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 11/08/2006]
  7. Susi-di

Susi-di New Member

I'll be seeing my doctor next month. My Mom & brother & fam. live in Texas too. :eek:) thank you for replying, it helps. Susi-di
  8. tinktink

tinktink New Member

Hi Susi,

My Muscles have gotten progressively worse over the last year and a half. I am much weaker than I was a year ago at this time. I don't know if it is common... just that it is happening to me.

Wish I had a treatment suggestion for you but I haven't found anything that helps yet.

Good Luck and Best Wishes Diana
  9. sues1

sues1 New Member

Endurance was a real problem for yrs. Lots of pain and ankles or hands would give out unannouced now and then.

Now I am very weak and wobbly, arms and legs.

I can not walk a lot anymore. Still able to get around in the home. I sit every few mintues. LOL. Use scooters in many places. Finally got one for myself.

Recently DX with Parkinson Disease. I get "tics" and involuntery jerks now and then. Does not last long at all. My hands tremeble like Parkinsons, but also does not stay that way.

I saw a Neuro Monday. He said that I am in a gray area as far as PD goes. He is not sure that I have it. I do not display such to him. But he was surprised that a med prescribed for PD by my family Dr. is helping me.

MRI by family Dr. did not show anything.

I explained that many CFIDERS and Fibromites have tremors or seizures and use it for only what they have and it helps. He Did not Know that!

I have EEG testing later today. Maybe I will find out? I am so used to tests not showing anything.......so afraid to get hopes up.

But I am really weaker and seem to be getting weaker all the time! My legs feel that they are quivering inside and my legs are still....

Good Luck and many blessings..........Susan
  10. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi susi:

I have noticed since my dx. with FMS and CMP (myofascial Pain) that my weakness in my arms and legs waxes and wanes. Also alot depends if I overexert or if the weather is bad. I try to do yoga daily to keep my muscles as toned as posible. Both my Family doc and my chiro recomend basic streghting exercising such as walking or yoga. On bad days I don't, but I have found being too sedentary makes me feel worse and actually adds to my muscle fatigue and weakness. I just try to take it as it comes. I think we are all different and we all approach how we cope with it differently.

Suz45