Does FMS affect your immune system?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VenusFire, Feb 14, 2003.

1. VenusFire

VenusFire New Member

I heard from somewhere that FMS kills your immune system. Is that true? I get sick EXTREMELY easily and was wondering if it is just part of living with FMS.
  2. talldi

talldi New Member

FMS, CFS,MFP, are all auto-immune diseases so it seems logical to me that our immune systems are not functioning the way they should.
    I hope you are on supplements. Perhaps some of the others on this site will be able to explain better?
    Do alot of research on the iilness, you will learn alot.
    Knowledge brings power.
    di
  3. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

YES!! Some drs. say that FMS is an autoimmune problem while others still disagree..I guess just like some still think it's all in our heads..Yea right!!
    There are many many diseases that are autoimmune..But one thing is usually said by most drs. - once you have 1 autoimmune problem, you are more likely to have another..
    As in my case, I have FMS (diagnosed approx 10yrs ago), then 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with AIH (autoimmune hepatitis), then Raynold's Syndrome, and just recently CREST Syndrome (Limited Scleroderma)..It is always good to have complete blood work now and then, have your ANA checked, etc..Although lab work doesn't always give you a definete diagnosis with some autoimmune disorders, it does help..
    If you are always getting sick, I personally would keep a record of how you are feeling, what your dr. is diagnosing you with, etc..
    Even with just having FMS, you have to make sure you take care of your body well - eat right, lots of rest, etc...
    Don't know if I helped you here much, but I tried......
    Best Wishes.......Take Care.........Donna
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Or we would be dead. On the other hand, our immune systems are broken. We tend to overreact to some things and underreact to others.

Love, Mikie
  5. PointB

PointB New Member

So glad you posted that, I had the same question but forgot to ask my doc about it yesterday, I tend to forget many things...
  6. healing

healing New Member

I think it's a question of chickens and eggs. The FMS doesn't cause the immune system problem; the immune system problem is probably part of what allows the FMS to develop. At least, that is my understanding. It takes a lot to repair the immune system, and if you have thyroid or other problems too, it can take a lot of time.
  7. pearls

pearls New Member

I recently bought two books written by Dr. Devin Starlanyl, "The Fibromyalgia Advocate," and "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofacial Pain Syndrome: a Survival Manual." I've been reading around in both of them and will read them straight through this summer when I'm not swamped with work. The two books are very impressive and I recommend them.

In one of the books, Dr. Starlanyl wrote that fibromyalgia is NOT an autoimmune disease. I can't find it just now. Anyway, she has had fibromyalgia for years and specializes in the research and treatment of FMS/MPS and related conditions. If you are interested in finding out more about her and her writings, look her up using a web search engine.

-Pearl
  8. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I have both fibromyalgia *and* multiple sclerosis. (I've had the MS far longer than the fibro.) In MS, your immune system turns against your own body, damaging the myelin sheath around the nerves in the brain and spinal cord, potentially (but not always) leading to death of the nerve cells themselves. So I've always kinda thought that in MS the immune system was overactive. In fact, immunosuppressive drugs have been used to treat MS.

Then, last September, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. So I find comments indicating that fibro *weakens* the immune system puzzling, especially since I understand that its not uncommon for people to have both fibro and MS.

So I suspect that the relationship between fibromyalgia and the immune system is a lot more complex than just a question of whether fibro weakens the immune system. The MS and fibro symptoms sometimes seem to overlap, too, making it hard to tell which condition is causing which problem.

--Laura R.M.
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have been ill for a few weeks, and can sure relate to the immune system thing!

I got some kind of 'bug' that everyone had, it started with a sore throat, high fever, coughing (dry), then it went into my chest and I got a terrible bout of bronchitis that took almost six weeks to get rid of. I am still coughing at night (thats why I am on this board at 2;15 am right now!).

I have not been here for almost a month now. Was too sick to even sit and type, plus the fever was so bad I could not concentrate, and did not understand what I was reading much less try to answer a post!

But like Mikie said, it depresses our immune system, but does not 'kill' it, as we would be dead!

The upside of this bout with the 'bug', is that I did not go into a Fibro Flare, that in itself was a blessing, I had enough to deal with.

Everyone else who got this that I know, it lasted about a week, but it went on for over a month with me, and is still here more or less.

Shalom, Shirl
  10. VenusFire

VenusFire New Member

I can relate to being sick lasting MUCH longer than normal. I remember when I was 13, I got the stomach flu, normally gone in 2-3 days, right? WRONG! I suffered for 2 and a half weeks. Not even a month later, I got the full blown flu, I was out of commission for a MONTH and a half! I'm always getting sick, even though I don't really go out anymore. I stayed at home for 2 weeks, nobody around except for my boyfriend, and guess what??? I got sick. I've been wondering if I got sick because he was going to the gym everyday and bringing home germs to me, but he never got sick! I for one, am sick and tired of getting sick so often. I've lost so many jobs (15 in the past 5 years) because I can't even make it through the 3 month probationary period without getting sick or having a flare up! I just wanted to get some input on whether FMS/other auto-immune syndromes/diseases weaken our immune systems.

Rachel