Does FMS intensify the itch of an insect bite?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

Or have I encountered some new strains of sadistic bugs?

At a barbecue last month I got bitten several times around my ankles, and although the welts were small, the itch was not. They drove me crazy for a week, and I blamed it on the type of insect--whatever it was. Now I have what appear to be two mosquito bites on my knee. They're blazingly red, and my knee is hot. The itch is intense. Twice last night I woke up scratching so hard I drew blood. I reluctantly bought a cortizone cream to get me through the night tonight.

Is this FMS, or some weird new insects?

Thanks,

Suze
  2. Suze

Suze New Member

Or have I encountered some new strains of sadistic bugs?

At a barbecue last month I got bitten several times around my ankles, and although the welts were small, the itch was not. They drove me crazy for a week, and I blamed it on the type of insect--whatever it was. Now I have what appear to be two mosquito bites on my knee. They're blazingly red, and my knee is hot. The itch is intense. Twice last night I woke up scratching so hard I drew blood. I reluctantly bought a cortizone cream to get me through the night tonight.

Is this FMS, or some weird new insects?

Thanks,

Suze
  3. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

I'm not sure if it is "The FMS" k?

Just wanted to give ya a few tips on those ole bites.

1 - when desperate I've used hair spray "in the can" not the pump kind to spray on my bites

2 - Caladryl (sp?) works wonders on the bites. It has Calamine lotion and Benadryl in it and "Hey" now it comes in colorless form. It used to be "Pink".

I grew up with calamine lotion and when I had my dear one and only son 30 yrs ago he grew up with it. Works wonders on Acne!

Gentleness
  4. Menolisongster

Menolisongster New Member

it is fibro. I get a small bite and it swells up really bad. Claratin seems to help with the itch if I remember to take it before I go out. If I take it after the bite it takes a bit of time. My solution to the time problem is I never go out without a bottle of men's aftershave. The alcohol in it cools the bite and gets rid of the itch.
    I think it is something in our system that attracts the bugs as well. Husband and children and I are out not a bug near them. Around me at least a million of no see ums, mosquitoes, deer flies, and black flies.
    I attract them as if I am the blood bank.
    menoli
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Living in the country, I keep a bottle of Alcohol outside of each door. If I get bit by anything, red ants, mosquito, etc. I just put alcohol on and then some natural vitamin E. That usually takes care of the poison and the crazy itching that any little bit causes.

Try an ice pack on the knee, then some Vitamin E, the E seems to draw the fever and poison out and stops the itching.

If that does not work, then you best call the doctor. It could have been some kind of spider.

Hope this helps.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. Tennessee

Tennessee New Member

used to a bug bite was a bug bite.get one now and it's as bad as a broken arm!!i agree with shirl,alcohol seems to help me better than anything.hopin ya the best=).
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

and spiders and have a more severe reaction than others. That was written in one of my books I have on Fibromyalgia. I use to get bit and it was no big deal, now I get bit and I have to elevate my arm, hand, or whatever. The doctor has me put icepacks on it and they said to use aspirin and benadryl. The aspirin thins the blood and for some reason helps get rid of the poison, at least that's what my doctors nurse told me to do.

Dara
  8. CAREN

CAREN New Member

I DO NOT THINK WE ATTRACT BUGS, AT LEAST I DO NOT. IN FACT, I WENT CAMPING NOT LONG AGO AND GOT LESS BITES THAN I EVER HAVE BEFORE. I DO BELIEVE THAT INSECT BITES FEEL WORSE TO US BECAUSE OF THE FIBRO. MOST OF US, INCLUDING ME HAVE MORE SENSITIVE SKIN SENSATIONS. BURNING, ITCHING, LIKE SOMETHING CRAWLING ON OUR SKIN. SENSITIVE SKIN, INCREASED PAIN LEVELS ALL CONTRIBUTE TO THE INSECT BITES BEING MORE PAINFUL. IF MORE PAINFUL, THE MORE WE SCRATCH. THE MORE WE SCRATCH, THE MORE SWELLING AND INFECTION WE INVITE.

CAREN
  9. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Don't know if what I get is all "bug bites", but they itch like all h***..I have scars on my arm through the years..I even scratch during my sleep..My husband always says, "stop scratching", I said I can't they itch soooooo bad..One of my drs. said maybe some kind of skin disorder..Who knows..
    But reading the above posts, I will have to try some of those remedies..
    ***Two summers ago, I had what I thought was a mosq. bite on my butt..Well then I got one after the other..Went to dermo..They even did a biopsy of the one..Said they "THOUGHT" it was some type of bug bite..They tried all different kinds of things on me, including antibiotics because I would scratch myself open during my sleep and some got infected..They said they only saw a few cases like mine and didn't know what they came from..But then just one day, they went away..Go figure..It was horrible being in a public place when your butt cheeks itched constantly..LOL..
    They asked if I had animals that could have fleas, My dogs did not have any fleas..They are always wearing flea collars, plus I even took them to the vet to get checked, in case I missed something - they came out clean as could be..We had also got a new patio set, thought it might be coming from that, never did prove anything either way..
    But it only appeared on my butt, so they thought it was some place where I was sitting..I personally think it has to do with our immune system, although I know a lot will argue that point with me..Sorry I went on so long.....
    Take Care.......Donna
  10. Suze

Suze New Member

Is there anything you guys don't know? I'm impressed...

Good to know I'm not imagining these over-the-top reactions to the bites. Geez, you'd think I acquired some immunity to them during my childhood summers on Long Island, when I could cound 60+ bites at any given time. Back then they were a badge of pride, not a source of torture.

Wish I'd had that witch's potion a few years ago when I accidentally dug my trowel into poison ivy roots and got the oil all over my face. The health food store owner told me to put salt on it, which I did. <b>NOT</b> a good idea!!!

Thanks, everyone.

Scratching,

Suze
  11. Jeweller

Jeweller New Member

I think I'm a bit late getting here!

When I was a kid, I sat on what must have been a "nest" of mosquitoes. Nothing very vicious - the Welsh kind, but I got bitten all over my behind. I couldn't see them, so I just scratched when they itched, and over a dozen of them turned septic. That was not a fun experience, believe me!

These days, I find bites not only itch more but also hang around for ages. I have a couple of little red spots on my ankle from where I was bitten over a month ago.

Ros
  12. contessa

contessa New Member

I have a fly bite from June that still itches me. Our elderly vet(large animal) told me that when a fly bites it transmits serum from whatever itlast feasted on. If that cow, horse, pig whatever was innoculated with something it's just been injected into us (not talking disease). We're having a reaction to our immune system trying to deal with a foreign (though minute) innoculant substance it doesn't recogonise. I get these every year, they are awful. Hope it helps. This vet is pretty darn smart - he usually comes up with medical info months before we hear about it on the news.
  13. Coping

Coping New Member

A few months ago, I was telling a friend of mine that a spider or bug would travel over my husband to get to me so it can bite Me! Hubby never gets bit. He agrees that bugs/spiders like me better. (I told him it's because I'm so sweet!) LOL

I have arachnaphobia (deathly afraid of spiders). When I do get bit no matter what bites me, the itch drives me crazier. I a found some great info reading above remedies.

Thanks!
    Tricia
    [This Message was Edited on 08/31/2002]
  14. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Just wanted to share this info with you..When my son would get bit by a mosquito it became quite a big deal..He would really swell up and the bite would actually become infected..The allergist he was seeing at the time told me to give him Vitamin B1 100mg 2x daily from March until the first good frost..He said it would give his body a scent that mosquitos would not like and therefore did not bite him..The scent would not be noticeable for humans..Been doing it for about 5yrs now, and he gets very few mosquito bites anymore.......Worth a try.........
    Take Care.........Donna
  15. roro

roro New Member

When I get bit it turns into a BIG welt, about 2-3 centimeters. Everyone around me seems fine. In my case, I think it is an allergic rxn. I use the benedryl spray. It is an antihistamine that works locally, so I dont have to take any oral medication. I am very sensitive to meds. It works great for me.