Does getting SSI mean you will get SSDI?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by minxlinx, Nov 19, 2005.

1. minxlinx

minxlinx New Member

I applied for both SSDI, SSI and Emergency Hurricane Medicaid. I'm in Louisiana and don't know too much about the emergency Medicaid, other than that I was approved. Good thing too, I have about $400. of prescriptions to be filled this week! The approval letter stated that in order to keep the Medicaid coverage after 2/28/06, when the Emergency Medicaid program ends I must file for SSI which I've already done.

I'd like to know if being approved for SSI and Medicaid has any bearing on SSDI. In other words, if I get a favorable ruling on SSI can I assume I have a good chance of being approved for SSDI or the reverse, if I am denied SSI and Medicaid does that mean I probably won't be approved for SSDI? Or are the approvals independent?

I'd love to hear any comments.

Thanks,
    Ariel
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

SSi is strictly for money .ssdi is based on your disability.Good luck and sorry about having to worry about Katrina along with your other problems
  3. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

SSD is based solely on your disability. SSDI is based on disability and income. In order to qualify for SSD you have to have so many work credits. SSDI does not take those into consideration only your income and if you are found disabled. You can get both or one or the other.
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

ssa.gov....

ssi and ssdi are two different programs,,,

ssi you do not have the work credits earned

and i beleive you can not own much of anything..almost like a little more than, i hate to say this because we all have pride here..but welfare... and yes i was on welfare. or tanf, for about a 1 year or more because i was not getting child support...and disabilty checks sdi ran out and my savings was used and sold my '69 mach 1 mustang..well anyways

please check out ssa.gove that should give you the correct answers you need..
    jodie
  5. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Anyone that is a single mom getting child support might get a kick out of this. When I applied for disability they told me that I could qualify for both SSDI & SSI. I told them about my child support and guess what. In the state of Iowa they don't consider that your income. They told me that they consider that is for the kids only. I couldn't believe it and even said maybe in a perfect world. lol. Thought you guys would get a chuckle out of that.
  6. minxlinx

minxlinx New Member

Thank you all for your help! Hopefully I'll qualify for both-SSI until the date SSDI starts. :) When I was trying to figure out what expenses are covered by Medicaid I found out that 60% of the people applying for the emergency program were denied. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get the others on the first try, although I am expecting at least one denial.

Thank you all so much for your help.

Hugs,
    Ariel