Does going away help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jasmine1976, May 13, 2006.

1. jasmine1976

jasmine1976 New Member

Hello,
    I am thinking of going to a retreat for a few months in India, to see if a complete rest from day-to-day chores and housework etc would help. My husband worries that I might just be trying to blank out the fact that I have CFS and doesn't think this will help. Has anyone ever tried going away for a while to help CFS and has it helped?
    thanks!
  2. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

The idea of going away appeals to me so much but theres only 1 problem my 12 year old daughter.
    My daughters name is sophie & she is 12 going on 22!
    She is my world & i love her more than words can say.
    She would really really miss me & id really really misss her i couldnt go away & leave her.
    You take care.
    Fibrolady37.
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Hi Jasmine,

I have thought about doing the same thing and would if I knew it would help. To get complete rest take my supplements and just let others take care of themselves and I take care of me..

Due to the expense, I am afraid to do this and it not work..So I am thinking of trying this at home. Tell everyone I am gone and try to retreat at home..But because of hubby guess thats near to impossible..Cause the children would be stopping by checking on him..

I am of no help but hope you hear from others as I am anxious to know..By the way if you try this please let us know...

God Bless,
    greatgran
  4. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Jasmine...We have a boat, and just returned from a few days on it. Actually we didn't even leave the marina, but had a wonderful time. We worked on getting it ready for a trip (I supervised...tee hee!), and my husband golfed a couple of afternoons. I read a lot, rested when I didn't feel good, slept in until I felt like getting up, and we ate out in the evenings. It was totally relaxing, and I do feel better some of the time while there. It takes my mind off of the bills, housework and list of things to do at home. I love being home, too, but getting away is good for me.

My best friend also has FMS and CFS, and she, too, does really well while away in their RV trailer. Neither of us are gone over a week at a time.

India is far away...I wish you the best. And regarding your husband...sometimes it is nice to think that we don't have CFS and we are normal. If blanking-out helps, I'm all for it!

Blessings to you, and good luck on your retreat...Ann
  5. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

getting away has always rejuvenated me. i've done it several times now, to big sur when i was living in LA, to puerto rico last year. i think it's due to a couple reasons. 1) it takes you outside yourself and forces you to live in the moment and 2) your pain and your life is dwarfed by the size of the world, which offers a new perspective on your illness. also, i prefer nature over urban centers since nature has great healing powers.

have fun. be safe. i strongly encourage you to go. if not india, than somewhere.

eddie
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

jasmine1976:
    I would suggest that going away is just fine as long as you go the most comfortable way as possible, like getting a porter to carry your bags, use the handicapped feature of getting driven to your gate. Being picked up at the airport, get to your destination and doing virtually nothing unless you feel you can take it.

I used to travel and would like to do more of it.

Wonderful choice as long as you do not take away the luxuries (and money) it takes.

nyrofan
  7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

oh it sounds wonderful.I just had 10 days in FL.in Jan.but came home worse off then when I went.The travel is hard.If you can get pass the traveling and straight to the resting it should be nice.I also ,like the person above ,think nature is very healing mind,body ,and sprit.Could I ask why so far away ?where are you located?Maybe closer to where you live there is a place just as restful and your husband could get there on weekends.He may be worried about you traveling alone.Take your computer and let us know how you are doing.And if you find anything there that really helps.Good Luck.
  8. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

If you can swing it - yes, you should do it. I thinl stress, evenly daily stress, really affects us - if you have a chance to get away - I say take it!
  9. RunninCrazy

RunninCrazy New Member

How do you pay for it? Am I the only poor person here?
  10. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

Hi Jasmine and everyone,

I also have thought about going away for a health retreat. But it would be so expensive, and who would care for my dog, etc. Maybe you could consider going away for just a week or two someplace closer to home.

Regarding vacations- they help me alot - because it is so uplifting to go somewhere new and different. It puts me in a better frame of mind. I think it's even very healthy to go away for even a short amount of time. Let's say you are very sick and do not have any spare money. If you could drive (or have someone drive you)to a nice park or garden or whatever) just for a few hours, it could be beneficial.
  11. JudieV

JudieV New Member

I found the Florida climate easier on my Fm & RSD. we moved here 5 years ago. I'd say it was worth being 20 to 30% better. Why I have no idea.I also have help cleaning. Every other week for the big stuff. My kids are all adults.

I find taking a cruise wonderful. Hubby can do his thing & if I need a bed,,,back to the cabin I go. There's really nothing to think about but enjoying yourself. even if thats resting in the many, many ways you can on a ship.

As for going on long flights,,,,,,,,,,they knock the stuffing out of me. The 2 1/2 hours to NY takes atleast 24 hours flat out to recoup. Long flights, even with wheel chairs.......cripple me beyond belief.

I'm also the type that needs "home". So the most is 2 to 3 weeks. Last year we spent the summer with hubbys family (their in Croatia. The hardest part was forcing myself on the plane for the long ride home (total 20 hours) 7 hour lay over in Frankfurt.Horrible.

I also hate being to far from my docs that understand my crazy system!

I'll stop rambling and say good night

Judie