Does going to a doctor really help?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by betterdays, May 21, 2003.

  1. betterdays

    betterdays New Member

    I have hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)I am being treated for that by a doctor. But I still have all these symptoms that seems to lead to Fibro...he has even told me that is probably what it is, but there is really nothing that can be done for it. Just to be honest I'm not sure I want that diagnosis, but I hurt so much and am so tired I don't think I can continue my daily activities. This has been going on for about a year and a half.
    Is there anything a doctor can do to help?
    Do pain medications help?
    I will appreciate any help you can give.....I have read articles upon articles, but still don't know what to do?
    What kind of doctor should I go to?
    Thanks a million.
  2. danisue22

    danisue22 New Member

    Hi There, I'm so very sorry that you are having such a time butI thing the 1st thing you need to do is find a good thyroid Doctor. My grand daughter has this and she doctored with a general practitioner to long and got a goiter she now has no thyroid and will be on meds for that for the rest of her life. This thyroid condition can also make you very tired so I'd start by finding a Doctor that specializes in Thyroid and then find a doctor that takes care of people with FM (Fibromyalgia)That may be a bit harder to find but you can ask when you call if they do. Whatever you do ,don't get one that does'nt believe that FM is not a desease.If you can find Doctor's that will be able to treat these deseases then you'll have the medicines that will help you (hopefully) Good Luck to you My best Danisue...P.S. There is a referral list for Doctors on the board .Just go to the top of the page and click on Doctor Referrals and follow the rest .