Does going to a doctor really help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by betterdays, May 21, 2003.

1. betterdays

betterdays New Member

I have hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)I am being treated for that by a doctor. But I still have all these symptoms that seems to lead to Fibro...he has even told me that is probably what it is, but there is really nothing that can be done for it. Just to be honest I'm not sure I want that diagnosis, but I hurt so much and am so tired I don't think I can continue my daily activities. This has been going on for about a year and a half.
    Is there anything a doctor can do to help?
    Do pain medications help?
    I will appreciate any help you can give.....I have read articles upon articles, but still don't know what to do?
    What kind of doctor should I go to?
    Thanks a million.
  2. betterdays

betterdays New Member

Thanks so much for replying. Did you see your family doctor and get a referral or did you make an appointment yourself?
  3. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

You will if you ever plan to file for Disability some day.

That's the only thing that keeps me going to one - though I can't say his documentation has been very helpful thus far.

Just a thought,
    Lane
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Betterdays----A bad doc is not worth your time, effort, or money. A great doc is better than gold. Like Jelly, my husband and I see an osteopath---I cannot praise him highly enough. I have cfs and fms, and my hubby has just been diagnosed with fms. I read in one of Jelly's post about her Doc spending well over and hour with her---my doc is willing to do the same. The difference his treatment has made in me is wonderful. I was totally bedridden before seeing him. We have conquered pain/with pain meds, sleep deprivation, IBS, Leaky Gut syndrome, Candida (yeast) overgrowth, myclonic jerking, sensory overload, and many more. Now we are working on fatigue....I have begun B12 injections at home, soon to add B Complex injections, then possibly antivirals. You must remember, wellness is a process which does take some time. After all it took many years to get our bodies in their current conditons. Doctors of Osteopathy, or D.O.'s are great, because they treat with convention RX'es, and herbal, alternative treatments, giving you the best of both worlds. They are also great with nutrition. Mine keeps abreast of the latest in FM/CFS research. They realize treatment must be geared for each individual.

You know having your adversary named (diagnosis) is the first step in being able to fight back. Some doctors, as yours are under the impression there is nothing one can do....however this isn't true. My quality of life has improved dramatically. Also, yes, pain meds do help. That is one of the treatments that has greatly improved my life, as I mentioned before, I was bedridden. What I did not mention was the horrific pain I was enduring.

Please name your enemy---with a diagnosis, and begin to fight back. There is no cure, but certainly you will find many on the board that once treatment began, have a much better quality of life.

Best Wished, LL