Does healthy Eating reduce pain levels?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DeborahHutchby, Jan 29, 2006.

1. DeborahHutchby

DeborahHutchby New Member

Hi

I've had chronic fibro for 2 over years and have been in agony daily and reduced to staying in bed for over 15 hours a day. I put on lots of weight during this difficult time but decided last Sept to go on a diet/healthy eating regime. I am cutting down and eating lots of fruit and veg, not much fat etc etc. Slowly the pain has reduced and I am now feeling quite a bit better. I need less time in bed and can go a decent walk daily with my dog. I have lost 40 lbs too. Do you think this is the reason for feeling a bit better or is it increased drug levels (lyrica, cymbalta) or even going into a kind of remission? I feel very optimistic about the future now but also terrified the pain may return to previous levels.

Love and hugs to everyone out there!!!!!!!!! xxxxxxxx
  2. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Enjoy the fact that you feel a little better and that you have lost quite a bit of weight...that is wonderful!!!! Fear creates stress and that will only harm you. Take one day at a time. If your pain comes back, deal with it them. It is probably a combination of things that is making you feel better. For me, the foods I eat play a big part in how I feel. I don't eat sugar, caffeine, alcohol, MSG, Aspartame, white flour or processed foods of any kind..no ice cream, very little dairy. I have never tried Lyrica but a lot of people on this board have had positive results.

Blessings to you and I pray that you continue to feel better and better each day. Lolalee
  3. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

I'm so glad you posted this becuase I've been wondering the same thing. Also, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and definitely hope it continues. I started eating healthier only 2 wks. ago and can already see a difference in terms of energy. My pain is still there, but it feels like a miracle to feel like doing even the simplest of things again. I worry that it is only the increased drug levels because I don't start to feel better until my 2nd Tramadol at lunch time. I don't know what to think either and fear (big time) it won't continue. We'll hope & pray, though.
  4. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I went off of sugar and just ate fruits, veg. and meat and tried to watch other carbs for a week and I have to tell you, my pain level went way down!

I have since been having a few sweets here and there and my pain level is back up. I think it does really make a big difference, although sugar can be hard to give up. It is SO addictive! And people think narcotics are addictive! I can take them or leave them, but SUGAR!! Now that is a tough one to give up!

Take care, Sally