Does Hydrocodone Help You?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsE, Jul 28, 2010.

1. MsE

MsE New Member

It seems to help me. I have CFS and pain, although constant, isn't my biggest issue. Exhaustion beats it. However, I have found that a half a hydrocodone tablet not only eases the pain, but it helps me think better and gives me some energy. I know it is "one of those" medications that get the squint eye from lots of doctors and the public, but it helps me function. Anyone else? (Yes, I wrote a bit about this some months ago, but I would appreciate an update.) Thanks, MsE
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

I also take hydro. Wouldnt have a life without it.
    Your right about it helping thinking and some engery.

ever present is the take docs have on pain meds now.
  3. msgirl67

msgirl67 New Member

I know that this could be considered a "cop out", but the Lortab does help me in ways that I fell better...mentally and it helps me to be able to sit and do my work at home on the computer. I feel that this "drug" gives me the extra energy also to get by. I hate that this is what I have to do to feel somewhat better, but I have to work and it helps me to also function during a day that I would normally want to lay on the couch. I hope to someday not need to take it.
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

"I wouldn't have a life without it" says it exactly, 3gs. Right now I am trying my best to get over the sense of guilt that I swallow along with a half tab. Ridiculous, I know, but social pressure is strong and I am not.
  5. MsE

MsE New Member

Yes--lying around on the couch is exactly what I do on the days I don't use this med. For instance, I just took a bit an hour ago so that I could get to my writing group. I'm heading for that in a few minutes. It is one of the few things I have tried to stay with in spite of CFS. I don't use "the drug" every day, but I sure find it helpful on days I want to get out of the house. Thanks for writing.
  6. acdb

acdb Member

I have also found 1/2 of a 200mg hydrocodone 5/500 takes away pain. In combination with Provigil it allows for a much more awake feeling. Recently I changed from this drug to codeine with Ibuprofen instead of Tylenol which is the last straw that packs in the constipation.

Vicoprofen is 7.5/200 so it is more codeine and the effects make me more mellow and tired.

I was using these PRN because I don't want to get addicted, which my doc says she will not let me. She wants me to use them 2x per day to kill the pain cycle before it starts. I have some problem with that, but I have found for short terms during really bad times it is worth taking like that. I have had no symptoms of addiction.
  7. MsE

MsE New Member

I use the same dosage. Haven't had any addiction symptoms. Only use the stuff when I'm in an exacerbation, so sometimes can go a week or two without their help. I never seem to last more than that length of time between flares, though. No problem with any side effects.
  8. quanked

quanked Member

It does not help me but I do not use anything for pain except motrin once in a great while as I use celebrex for long standing osteo-arthritis.

I cannot count the bottles of hydrocodone/oxycodone I have thrown away. I always wondered if it helped people. The side effect--lots of stomach upset was worse than the pain and I did not like the way it made me feel.

It is not pain that does me in either--it is the state of being totally wiped out that really gets to me.
  9. DoveL

DoveL Member

Hydrocone helps me tremendously! I have CFS/FMS. I only need a small dose as well. Too bad I cannot find a doctor to give me a script!! ( I had some from when I had root canals; that is how I know it helped me so much)

Hey, I always say, whatever works ( I know there is a 'stigma' with alot of these drugs), but that is why they were created in the first place; for people in pain! :)

10. MsE

MsE New Member

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because it doesn't cause any side effects for me as long as I don't take more than a half a tab.
  11. MsE

MsE New Member

My doc thinks if it is one of the few things that helps, and if I don't misuse or overuse it, I'd be foolish not to take advantage of its benefits. The stigma business is all mine; not my doc's. I wish I could get over it and simply enjoy the hours of relief it brings, but....Duh.
  12. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

I take it as well, mostly a half a pill at a time, occasionally just a 1/3 w/ a tylenol, other times I may need more or none at all (summer is way more painful for me). I always have what I like to think is a healthy measure of concern when it comes to anything I put in my body-- but I wouldn't call it guilt. I know I need it.

However, my problem is even at a half a pill, I can "feel" a dullness that I otherwise don't have, at least for an hour or so. It's not too bad but here is a question for you (or anyone else)...

I used to take the Name brand, Vicodin...half a pill, NO fog, or dullness, fatigue, nothing, and at best an easing up of a good enough portion of pain.

I noticed the generic (I use Kroger pharmacy) I do get the icky feeling. Do you take name brand or generic? I can definitely tell a difference. My insurance won't cover the name brand but if my finances ever get better I would be willing to pay the difference.

Just curious if anyone else notices that or is taking the name brand. I have noticed that with other meds before as well.

I hope you can trust yourself and your doctor that you are taking care of yourself to have as productive as a life, however limited, and part of that is because of your med. I tell no one what I take, other than those who would need to know. I was rear ended in a drive thru Friday and have been feeling extra pain and stiffness, so I've had to increase my meds the last few days and I hate the feeling. I'm glad it clears your head up-- that would be a wonderful benifit, I would think!

13. quanked

quanked Member

I never tried half a tab. If I can remember I will try half a tab. Thx for the info.
  14. MsE

MsE New Member

It's generic. I have no idea what lab RiteAid buys it from, but it goes by the generic name "hydrocodone" rather than vicodin. Just says it's a substitute on the prescription. Whatever it is, I do just fine with it unless I take more than 1/2 tablet. Any more than that, and I am initially zonked and then wired. Very uncomfortable. :)
  15. MsE

MsE New Member

Yes, the fact that it seems to help me think is terrific. The doc explained that it puts something in the system that affects the brain--something lots of CFS folks lack--but I'm darned if I can remember what it is. Something to do with helping neurotransmitters transmit. Whatever it is, it is the same thing that gives people who abuse it a "high"; however, if one's brain isn't producing it, the result is something close to a few hours of near normalcy. Am I making sense here? Wish I could remember the proper names, but.....
  16. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I have an incredibly high tolerance to pain meds so a half of a tablet wouldn't do a thing for me. I also don't get increased energy. What I do get is a very subtle relief of pain.
    I've never gotten the "high". I remember when I first starting taking it, I'd have to plan to lay down for the afternoon cause I'd feel sick. Thankfully that didn't last.

Oddly though, I've taken all strengths of Vicodin, Norco etc. - when I took Lortab, which is 7.5/500, I'd always get nauseous

Quality of life. Life period. Living in severe pain is not a good way to live.

PS. Regarding where you purchase your medication, I had just posted about this, strangely enough. Some people actually notice a difference in manufacturer's. Some pharmacies use different ones. I remember I got a script filled at Target once and I swore it was a Placebo - they used a diff. manufacturer (I actually called them). After that I'd read about a lot of people experiencing the same thing. Doesn't make much sense and I think the pharmacists would say it's bunk.
  17. greatgran

greatgran Member

Please if it helps take it. My doc told me pain and exhaustion is harder on your body than the meds.. If you find one that helps why suffer..This is what I was told when we were discussing my xanax use.. I have Hydrocodone and would take them but I am allergic to codien.
    Or could I take them? Got to check into this.

18. MsE

MsE New Member

That's quite a statement your doc made about pain and exhaustion being harder on you than the meds. Never heard that before. Can you get a pill splitter and take just a quarter of a tablet?
  19. MsE

MsE New Member

I don't think it's bunk. I think it's true. If there is a difference between the generic and the name brand (and in some cases there really is--I've experienced it) why couldn't there be a difference between generic brands from different manufacturers? Makes sense to me.
  20. loto

loto Member

It has been my lifesaver.

I have to take 8 per day, to keep my pain from firing up, but it does help....and my doctor reassures me taking that much per day is ok.

And, like you, it also helps me think better and have energy to get things done.