Does hypercoagulation cause migraines?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kaths, Jul 3, 2003.

1. kaths

kaths New Member

So many of you are being treated for hypercoagulation. In my research, one of the few symptoms of this that I have found is the daily migraine-like headache. My headaches have not responded to anything my doctor, Morris Maizels, a well-known migraine researcher, has prescribed -- from Botox to lidocaine nose spray to a blend of feverfew, magnesium and B-2.

In my present arsenal, I use Vicodin, Maxalt, Excedrin and Origins' Peace of Mind aromatherapy and Migraine Ice strips. Has heparin helped anyone's migraines?

Thanks,
    Kathy
  2. beckster

beckster New Member

Also, can you tell me where you read that treating hypercoagulation helps migraines. I also have the migraines, have some control over them via drugs, but am always looking for the "root" of it.I'd like your source because I am in the process of finding a new doc and trying some new treatments as the research has progressed a lot since I last tried many thing. Many thanks. BEckster
    [This Message was Edited on 07/04/2003]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My migraine-type headaches have gone away since I have been on the antibiotic therapy. It's now known that chronic infections and hypercoagulation go hand in hand. I've been on the ABX for about a year and a half now and am doing a lot better overall.

I've just started antiviral treatment which I hope will further help with my fatigue and cognitive probems.

As these infections begin to clear up, my symptoms are getting better.

Love, Mikie
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

There are many types of migraines. ACHE (The American Council on Headache Education) might be able to help you figure out which type you have. I used to get their newsletter, but am not sure if they have a website...though just about everybody does these days, so give it a try with a search engine.
    I had a type of migraine called "common migraine/menstrually related", which is the most painful of all the types of migraine, but is also strictly hormonally induced. This type of migraine tends to increase in severity and frequency during the perimenopausal years, and then disappear after menopause. So, when I went through menopause, it was bye-bye migraines. Sweet relief.
    My point being that while some migraines may be caused by hypercoagulation, not all are, and you need to know which type you have to get the correct treatment.
    Klutzo
  5. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Which worked on the sinus allergies/blockage/sinusitis, that seemed to lead to my migraines..Now, the Mayo Clinic indicates that chronic sinusitis is due to fungal (pathogens) causation. which seemed to trigger my worse migraines..(Had had migraines since l977, 26 years)..Now, they are almost nonexistant, except for premenstrual and menstrual-triggered ones..

So, I think that I got much better due to the disposing of the pathogens..which would be similar to the ABX therapy disposing of bacteria..Recently, I have read that having a body ridden with uncontrolled pathogens leads to migraine headaches (and other types), as one of the symptoms..

I had the one-sided, nausea-ladden intense headache, daily to 3xdaily during the worst allergy seasons..which was diagnosed by a neurologist at a headache clinic..However, he was never able to find the right preventative medication for these headaches...and I was having to use frequent Imitrex treatment, that had become outrageously expensive without insurance.

So, OLE was a godsend..Yes, I think you need to fiqure the triggers for your headaches, but headaches of a new and severe form are symptoms of these DDs, and prior to my development of these DDs, I did not have migraine or migraine-like headaches..So, I definitely, see this as part of the disease process of these DDs..

Plantscaper
    [This Message was Edited on 07/04/2003]
  6. Stillkicking

Stillkicking New Member

Hypercoagulation doesn't cause migraines, but treating hypercoagulaton may make you generally feel better and have less pain and get the bacteria causing the problem under control.

Try a simple way to help yourself by using saline nasal spray three times a day. This swrinks up the nasal/sinus membranes which often cause headaches.
    For times when your pain intensifies, take a spoon full of crushed ice in your mouth and hold it against the roof of your mouth.

For hypercoagulation you could use baby aspirin and bromelain enzyme together once a day. This really seems to be working for me and for an added bonus it seems to get rid of plaque on teeth.
  7. beckster

beckster New Member

Menopause helped some. Being on transfer factor and antibiotics helped some. Treating sleep disorder helped some. But no cigar. Obviously have a big viral load but have yet to find a doc willing to treat the viral stuff; don't know why. Haven't tried the hypercoagulation stuff yet; still reading up on it; don't have a lot of time to read (failing mother). This board is a lot of help. Hopefully I can do the right things in the right order.
    Beckster
  8. kaths

kaths New Member

by Dr. David Bell. Just put his name and hypercoagulation in a search engine.

Also I've been rinsing my nose out with salt since I was 14--at least in the morning and sometime at night.

thanks for the info. Good night!

Kathy

[ advertisement ]