Does Insurance cover TENS Machine?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelby319, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. shelby319

    shelby319 New Member

    I have had my Tens machine now for a month, and it was given to me on a trial basis for that amount of time. Now I have to call my insurance company somehow and explain if I feel its working and give them my update about how it effects me and so on. Sort of like a list of how it works good or not, how long in a day I use it, things like that.

    I have insurance through the Military, Tri-care is what they call it. Do any of you know if any insurance company actually pays for the total amount of it, or even if theres a co-pay, or out of pocket expense you have to pay that might help me?/!

    In other words, they want a whole history type of report on how it works, how well it works for me, the whole history report kind of. They claim they have never heard of this machine, so I wonder how I'm going to explain it all to them so they will pay for it and perhaps pay the whole price of it without any co-payment involved would be nice. Seeing these machines aren't cheap, that much I do know!!!

    Any help would be greatful or any information on insurance problems would help also.
    Thank you all in advance,
    Gentle hugs,
  2. Crispangel66

    Crispangel66 New Member

    But I would like to find out, I am on medicaid through disability and would like to know about ittoo. When I go to the chiropractor the tens unit really relaxes me. It is just totally suprising to me that they have never heard of it as it has been around for a very long time!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/06/2007]
  3. dononagin

    dononagin New Member

    I have blue-cross - they paid 100%
  4. revlcb

    revlcb New Member

    Got me thinking, Shelby. Good question.

    I have a cheepie unit I got at a Woman's show and liked it but it's now broken.

    I've asked my Dr. to prescribe a TENS unit and was told that they don't really work even though I've told them that it does work.

    I'm due for another appt. Maybe I'll ask again.

  5. Shalala

    Shalala New Member

    I have BC/BS also. Did your DR have to write a prescription to get the tens unit?

    Thanks :)
  6. tngirl

    tngirl New Member

    I had blue cross/blue shield when I got mine and it covered the whole amount plus all the supplies (battaries and electrode pads). It did require prior approval.

    If you have insurance, look at the card and call the member services number, they can tell you if it will cover it.

    Some doctors don't believe they help, but many do. A physical medicine specialist prescribed mine.

    Some say Fibro and CFS aren't real either, but we know they are wrong!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2007]
  7. dononagin

    dononagin New Member

    I'm seeing an Ortho-surgeon. They gave me the tens unit, a back brace, a neck traction unit and a neck brace. I walked out of their office with them. They did have to call for insurance aproval.
  8. JoeWesty

    JoeWesty Member

    Hey Shelby,

    Good to hear from you. Long time no talk to.

    They should. My insurance (BCBS Michigan) covered it. If you're on medicare they will probably pay for it first. Tri-care's usually top shelf coverage too. I had one and it do anything for me so I gave it to someone on the forum and she loved it. She had crummy insurance.

    Joe Westy
  9. Maybe alittle late to this post, but going to answer it cause many people I come across have this same question. Most if not all commercial insurances and Medicare/Medicaid will cover Tens Supplies which includes electrodes, lead wires, conductive gel, and tape with physicians prescription, and medical documentation.
  10. lea

    lea Member

    Hi csamedicalsupply:
    What would you expect electrodes etc. to cost with Medicare?
  11. Hi Lea
    Medicare Part B covers durable medical equipment (DME) which is the category electrodes/tens supplies fall under. Medicare will pay 80% of the allowable amount and then you would be responsible for the other 20% but if you have a co-insurance they will cover the 20% and you will have no out of pocket expense depending on your deductible. For example if you did not have a co-insurance and had to pay the 20% out of pocket your cost would be around $7.00 monthly. To find that amount I used the average Medicare monthly reimbursement of tens supplies which is $35.00. Hope this helps.