Does it take awhile for Lyrica to take effect?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tngirl, Nov 21, 2005.

1. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I started taking Lyrica, 50 mg. 3 x daily. I can't tell that it is helping but I have only been taking it 5 days.

My pain level is up. But I recently stopped both cymbalta and my anti-inflammatory. My arthrits is really kicked up a notch as a result. The weather here in Tennessee has been rainy and cooler which hasn't helped.

Do any of you take other pain meds while on the Lyrica?
    The doctor said to take it instead of the ultram. I have some lortab and lorcet that I was prescribed for days when the pain is worse, but am not taking presently.

I'm thinking I may have to stop the lyrica and take lorcet.
    I want my cymbalta and celebrex back! :( But I did have good reasons to stop them, I admit. But they really helped my pain level.

So...I am wondering if it took awhile for the lyrica to kick in and if I just need to hang in there longer.

If this is good as it's going to get on the lyrica, I'm ready to toss them!
  2. Pinky

Pinky New Member

I started taking Lyrica a week ago 50mg. 3x a day and it worked for me within the first day or so- a few side effects- but now on my 7th day some pain has returned but side effects have gone away. I increase my dose starting tomorrow 150mg. 2x a day and we will see what happens. I was amazed at how much better I felt the last few days, I told my husband I forgot what it felt like to be pain free! It felt GREAT! I am also still taking Ultram, although I have been able to cut down to 5omg 3x a day. I was taking it 6x aday. I also take Trazadone, Klonopin, Lexapro and Keppra. "HUGS"
    Love, Debbie
    I never did feel relief from the neck and shoulder pain, although it decreased and the arthritic pain in my fingers. The side effects I experienced were dizziness, drosiness, head pressure and blurry vision, kinda a high, drunken feeling.
  3. rily

rily New Member

I was on Lyrica for 4 weeks and noticed a little difference. Doc said to keep trying it until Jan of 06 and we would reevaluate. I do feel better as time goes on. Have been on it about 6 wks now. Going to stick with it a bit to see if it continues to get better. I stopped my anti inflammatory and do not feel a need to go back to it. I also take methotrexate and clonopin. I know the clonopin is working cause it helps me sleep and that along has helped a bunch. I take 75 mg twice a day of Lyrica.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/25/2005]