Does Klonopin make you gain weight?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I'm on elavil now and my fm doc said it would be better to take me off the elavil and put me on Klonopin. I know I've gained 12 pds since Aug when I started taking it. Plus I quit smoking so I dont need any help. I hate to say this but I think my breasts are expanding..they seem bigger and I dont want that.
    Carla
  2. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I'm on elavil now and my fm doc said it would be better to take me off the elavil and put me on Klonopin. I know I've gained 12 pds since Aug when I started taking it. Plus I quit smoking so I dont need any help. I hate to say this but I think my breasts are expanding..they seem bigger and I dont want that.
    Carla
  3. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I've been taking Klonopin for a few moths and have not had any problems with weight gain In fact, I am loosing the weight(through diet and exercize) that I gained taking paxil. But everyone is different. A lot of people told me Flexeril made them gain weight, and so far I've had no problems. So you never know. Do a search on Klonopin and you should be able to find some info.

Good Luck,

Maria
  4. darlee

darlee New Member

carla,

I took klonopin for 2 years- it is an anti anxiety/anti-seizure med. I did not a lb on it! I took 1 pill am and pm- I noticed that I slept well and wanted to take a nap at 2- so it did relax me plus you will feel it has a calming effect but no zoning out effect. Everyone is different, I gained weight on prozac, birth control pills and lost the 40 lbs I had gained in 4 years. Then I recently came off of depakote which helped better than anything has ever with the pain- but I gained 14 lbs in 2 weeks. So I am on neurotin which lots of fibro people are( according to this website) I just started on it 2 nites ago- plus I stayed on a half a pill of klonopin at nite, plus I stayed on my 150 mgs of wellbutring am and afternoon( this anti-depressant is different than the others chemically and causes alertness and possiblly weight loss) I wouldn't blame klonopin on your weight gain.

darlee
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And haven't gained weight. I've been able to lose 20 lbs. of the 40 I had put on with Elavil and Flexeril.

Elavil does not get to the heart of our problems like the Klonopin does. It helps with sleep, anxiety, sensory overload, and muscle tics and spasms.

Love, Mikie
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Just switched to Klonopin awhile back----
    Had gained tons on Elavil and Flexeril.
    Also the Elavil was making the restless leg syndrome worse.
    Klonopin has really helped it!
    I'm sold!
    Karen
  7. clueless

clueless New Member

I have been on klonopin for a year with no weight gain. The stopping smoking will do it to you but the benefits of better health make it worth while. Cutting back on fats etc. until your body gets used
    to the change and hopefully things like weight gain will level off. Good luck to you. My sister-in-law has quit smoking after many years because of health reasons. I sure wish she had done it sooner before it was forced on her.