Does lifting heavy or akward items cause your pain...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DJM43, Aug 19, 2005.

1. DJM43

DJM43 New Member

Does lifting heary or akward items cause the pain to get worst or flare up? I find that I cannot lift heavy items or hard to handle items without causing the pain to be worst or better yet cause a flare up.

Excuse my bad spelling....seems like I cannot spell that good anymore.
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I cannot vacuum or even do dishes.Of course,Some people have mild fms too.Just try not to overdo if your body is telling you to stop
  3. Risk

Risk New Member

I surely can relate. It seems that anything over 5lbs, gives me that burning, aching exhausted feeling. I feel so bad, because my sweet cat weighs 16lbs and I can't lift him, nor will I attempt to. I also find, at times, that closing/opening windows in the house will trigger a flareup, along with closing the trunk to the SUV. It's very frustrating and I get myself anxious every time I lift something I shouldn't.

Seems like it's a common occurence with fibro patients. Thankfully, I have no small children to lift. I don't know what I would do. I'm just grateful that the fibro hit me 5 years ago at 41 when my kids were at a more self sufficient age.

Rene
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

In the past years, many times I had a major flare, I could think back at the days prior and remember I did something to start it. Like carrying heavy grocery bags from the car to house, lifting heavy boxes of files at work, wearing a different pair of shoes, twisting my body while mopping the floor.

It is always something. In the past months I am much better. I still have fibro but I try to be careful and not overdo.

I am active now, but my exercise if primarily walking.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2005]
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Repetitive motion with my arms causes me a lot of pain in my arms, shoulders, neck, and back. By repetitive motion activity, I mean things like vacuuming, cleaning windows, scouring a bathtub, mopping a floor, etc.

Lifting heavy or ackward items would probably cause me more back pain because I have a bad back, however, they would also my arm/shoulder pain to be worse ... but would not cause me a flare, probably.

Take care,
    Janet