Does living in a warm climate lessen your symptoms?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shelly P, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Shelly P

Shelly P New Member

Hello Everyone,

I live in Portland, OR and I notice that as soon as the cold rainy winter weather hits, I tend to feel really icky -- more achy and tired than in the summer months. My husband and I are seriously considering moving to a warmer weather climate, like Phoenix, AZ in hopes that it may lessen my winter flares. I'd love to hear from those of you who live in Phoenix or another warm weather climate. Would a move be worth looking into or does living in a warm weather climate have no affect on the way that you feel? Thanks for your feedback! :) Shelly
  2. Casamadre5

Casamadre5 Member

I lived in the Northwest, now in So CA....definately better for the pain of FM here...
  3. Shelly P

Shelly P New Member

4. sisland

sisland New Member

Is Quite the mixture for Pain Levels! Summer and spring are on the 3 to 4 scale! Winter is a 10 on the pain level scale, for me, I always say i'm moving south or at least be what they call a "snow bird"!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,south in the winter and North in the summer!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sisland
  5. elanor

elanor New Member

Dear Shelly,

My latest, untested theory--but I like it--is that the problem with weather and FM is not extremes of heat or cold, but the range of temperatures in the place. Where I live now, the temperature can go from below zero in the winter to more than 110 degrees in the summer. That's a range of 120 degrees! I'm trying to get my husband to get a job in Seattle or Vancouver B.C., because the range of temperatures in those cities is seldom more that 50 or 60 degrees during the year. MY IDEA IS NOT TESTED. Also, my husband says it's difficult for Americans to get jobs in Canada, so . . . . I have noticed (how many of us get called "The Human Barometer"?) that I'm worse when the barometer quickly rises or falls dramatically, especially falls. Sunshine gives me a rash, and I dislike heat. So I hope I can test my theory. Any FM people in Seattle want to comment? Thanks--Elanor
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

7. Shelly P

Shelly P New Member

Thanks to all for your responses!!
  8. MelaC

MelaC New Member

Hi shellyp. I believe climate indefinitely makes a difference. We used to live in Johannesburg and my CFS was totally out of hand. Since My hubby was transfered to the Cape it has been much better.
  9. sharli

sharli New Member

Hi
    Yes, being in a warmer climate makes a big difference for me. When I am cold, I tense up and the pain increases significantly. When I am warm (particularly in a humid climate) I relax and am not at all tense. And much less pain.
    Unfortunately I live in a cold climate.
    Sharli